The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Dr. Jeff,

The benchwork is fantastic and if you are like me you can't wait to get it finished so the track laying can start.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Tom.  It will be good to get the track started in here.  Today I finished the north wall benchwork.  The advantage to the inverted "L" girder is that it's easier to do this stuff solo.  I've run out of the 1x2s and 2x4s.  I don't have a lot of 3/4 in plywood left, either.  Looks like a trip to Lowe's Saturday.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

No benchwork done today.  Just getting supplies and planning.  Had to go to Lowe's (saw broken per usual, couldn't get the plywood).  Ace hardware (bargain $5 Irwin clamps and more bolts/feet).  Real lumber yard (Saw working, plywood $12 per sheet more than Lowe's, slightly better quality).  Back to Lowe's (lumberyard didn't have any 2x2s).  Home and had to haul it all downstairs.  Only 70 degrees today but very humid.  I think my shirt is still wet.   :) The next section is the east wall which has it's own problem.  The electrical boxes are here.  The small one is only for the basement and has a contactor inside which turns on all the basement power from one wall switch.  The main box is a "decorative" one offered by Square D 25 years ago which could be painted or wallpapered and blend in with your room.  No one bought them (but me).  The circuit breakers are hard to find (I have a few extras) and it's really big and the door can't be removed.  The benchwork will end where the door opens and they'll pass on a small bridge piece to the other side.  This sets the size of the benchwork on this side.  The yellow level is actually where the track will pass in front of the box.  This way the box can be accessed with only a 3" piece of roadbed in the way.  I asked the electrician what it would cost to replace the box and it's well over $1K, so we'll just leave them.  The box on the right is an alarm system and shouldn't be a problem.

Jeff

deemery

Irwin clamps for $5 is a great deal!

Hope you don't regret moving & replacing the boxes! 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Since the benchwork dead ends at the electrical box, I thought a large industry like grain silos up against it would look good.  The sub box will need to be blocked by a building as well, probably a flat that's easily removed.  I want to use a 48" curve in the corner.  The corner will have a bucolic farm scene.  If only some kit manufacturer made round barns.   ;D I can either continue the curve all the way around or I have a #8 RH turnout here as a trial.  With the turnout, each of the four leads will be at least a foot longer than without it.  I think a large silo would look better with a sixteen car "yard" vs a twelve car.  But the curve is a 32" radius which then will have to blend into the 48".  I'm not sure how this will look or operate.  I may have to build it this way and test it, then if it doesn't work, tear it out and replace it.   :-\   At least I now know the bench work is 20 inches wide here and can continue building.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Hi Dave, thanks for looking in.  Those boxes aren't going anywhere.  Not for $1 to $2K.  :(   Funny thing, they weren't supposed to be there anyway, the original plans had them in the lower basement, which was supposed to be the same level as the rest of the basement. Unfortunately, that would have made the driveway too steep, so it's three feet lower and they couldn't put the boxes there. 

Jeff

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on September 20, 2014, 09:01:26 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for looking in.  Those boxes aren't going anywhere.  Not for $1 to $2K.  :(   Funny thing, they weren't supposed to be there anyway, the original plans had them in the lower basement, which was supposed to be the same level as the rest of the basement. Unfortunately, that would have made the driveway too steep, so it's three feet lower and they couldn't put the boxes there. 

Jeff

Jeff,

Nice benchwork. I don't think having an industry in the corner will be a problem at all. Any high structure like grain elevator, silos, etc. should cover it!

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Twist67

Hi there,

looking good and a nice way to plan the layout and test how it will fit into the space...

Regards,Chris

Chet

Here's a picture of how I supported my layout along the wall. It's an old cabinet makers trick. I use half inch rigid electrical conduit. I flatten the ends after figuring out the length I need, drill two holes in each end and screw the top to the inside of the outer benchwork. The bottom is screwed into a wall stud. I have had non believers put their entire weight (one of them a 250+ pounder) on the benchwork and it easily supports the weight. My benchwork varies from 24 to 40 inches wide and has been up for over 25 years with no problems. This keeps you from stubbing your toes while walking along the layout with the elimination of the legs. I spaced them 48 inches apart, but I guess you could go to 32 inches if you don't trust it.

Zephyrus52246

Neat idea, Chet.  My object in this room is to make as few holes in the wall as possible.  In the other room along the long wall I used 2x4s in a similar way.  I like your way better.   :)   It's been well over a month since my last post here, I really haven't felt like doing much of anything since our Portland trip, but last week I got back to this.  The wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of the trains going over the TV (frankly, neither was I), so I'm going to try to modify the design to stop at the electrical boxes.  I've been waiting for an electrician to come and look at the sub box.  It has something called a contactor in it which turns the whole sub off with a wall switch.  It has been buzzing more and more over the years and now is really loud, so it needs replacing.  FINALLY today (I first contacted them 2 weeks ago), he came and he'll have an estimate in a couple of days.  I'm not sure the hole in the wall is wide enough for "equipment overhang", so I fitted the roadbed thru the first curve to add track to see. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I need to superelevate the curve.  I use masking tape for this.  1/4 inch #6330 from 3M.  Start by placing one piece, then another 1 1/2 inches from this, then another 1 1/2 inches until you've gotten to the desired height.   In order not to waste tape (it's more expensive than regular masking tape), I measured today and my other curves are 4 HO inches high, so after achieving the desired height by placing stacking the strips, I'm gluing a piece of 4x6 (HO scale) strip wood around the bend.  Time to do the other side...

Jeff

BandOGuy

Be happy you're out there and not back here! Here in the in the Commiewealth, by code, you're supposed to swing a three foot arc from the center of those boxes and build nothing inside the arcs. Seems we need to put our electricians on a diet, but them's the rules. Guess it would lead to some nice, big broad curves though.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Zephyrus52246

Here you're not even supposed to change out an outlet without having the electrician do it.   :P He called today and the super platinum/diamond way to do this is $700.  I told him I think we can go down to silver/rhinestone.   ;) I got the track put down on the curve and started moving locos/cars thru it.  There's no power to this section and many of the locos don't have DCC decoders yet.  I think I'll need to fix that.   :) The 40 foot cars fit well, the 50 footers were close, the Athearn streamline cars passed, but you could barely put a sheet of paper in between them and the wall.  My biggest steamer fit both inside and outside, but the NP cars from Rapido do touch the wall.  I think I'll remove a quarter inch or so here.  Need to order the 50 foot roll of backdrop today as well.

Jeff

ACL1504

Dr. Jeff,

Get a drywall saw and make the hole larger. No way I'd pay and over paid electrician to enlarge the hole. I have a reputation with the City of Orlando of not wanting to spend $ just for BS like this. $50.00 for a house painting permit, $100 for a permit to trim the trees on the City parkway.

I told them when they start paying my taxes and mortgage, they can tell me what color my house will be and how to trim the trees.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Hi, Tom.
I didn't make myself clear.  The electrician is fixing the buzzing in the electrical box on the other side of the room.  I opened up the hole with a boxcutter.  Now even the North Coast Limited will fit thru.   :) Whilst waiting for the electrician to figure out what to do, which is impeding me finishing the benchwork, I'm back in the other room working on laying some track. 

Jeff