The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Very impressive sir.  I really like the way this is coming together.   :D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Great looking rock faces. Very nicely done.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Jeff

You have made some real progress - the rock castings are really looking nice.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Beautiful rock cropping's.  They really look natural.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Zephyrus52246

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen.  I've done a "test patch" of ground cover.  I started with applying full strength Elmer's glue over the surface, followed by Woodland Scenics earth blend.  This mainly had to be "blown on" from a sheet of paper, as the pitch of the side of the bluff made just shaking it on from the jar not feasible.  I then made some "clump foliage" by a method on an old Dave Frary Scenic Express video.  I used some Scenic Express Flock and turf, mixed it in a bowl with their Tak-E-Glue and then applied it to the surface.  It still wasn't sticky enough to hold, so I painted the surface with the Tak-E-Glue and tried again.  Most of it stuck this time.  I then did the same with some Scenic Express Super Turf and then with some WS clump foliage.  Applying these in "patches" of areas.  A couple of spots got WS Foliage clusters, which are already large clumps and didn't need the pre mixing.  I think these are too monochromatic (the large dark green are in the center), and will probably try drizzling on some SW burnt grass or green grass to break up their monochromatic pattern.  I'll use these in small accents, using mostly the Flock and turf as it's multicolored.  I tried two self made bushes with poly fiber (under the trees), but I'll probably remove them as they don't look great.  I may try some smaller ones of these and try to make some "ivy" with these for the rock faces. 

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

Looking good to me. Any progress, slow or otherwise, is always good.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

The one thought I have is to do some branches and smaller stuff that is less bright green along the edge of the cliff.  But that looks pretty convincing as-is. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, guys.  Dave, I plan to add some ivy, branches and tufts when I get the main areas covered.  Some greenery on the rock faces will be added as well.  Slowly working, this area (the lighter area as the glue is drying) took over an hour from start to cleanup.   

Jeff

jerryrbeach

Jeff,

Your rockwork and ground cover is really looking good!
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Keep It Rusty

Zephyrus52246

Thank you, Jerry, Curt and Rusty.  I used some Ivy and other assorted materials to break up the large rock faces.  Shows up better in person than the pictures.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

So the background is finished, now the rest of the area needs work.  I can't reach the back of this from the aisle, so an opening must be left in the benchwork.  I only need the mid right section to open, so I replaced the styrofoam.  I didn't want it resting on only the 3/4 inch sides of the joists, so I added some foam hot glued about an inch or so on each side.  I then marked on the top where the cuts were to be made and ran it carefully thru the table saw.

Jeff

deemery

Jeff, studying cliffs here (NH), I've noticed two related things:  (1)  a lot of tall scraggly plants.  (2) more tan and brown and yellowish than green.  Makes sense, a cliff isn't the most advantageous place for plants to grow. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

They're more a hanging ivy type plant, Dave, than growing upward, but there are a couple of those as well. 

The town will be nearly entirely on a piece of gatofoam.  I'll paint the streets right on the gatorfoam, then place the buildings on it.  This way if I ever need access, I can remove buildings and the gatorfoam.  At least that's the working theory.  ::)   I replaced the edge buildings to see how much buildup would be needed to conform to the background.  This lead to a problem.  The small strip of buildings on the left is supposed to "disguise" the Illinois Central track and the interchange track.  But it doesn't do a very good job of it.

Jeff