The Franklin & South Manchester Railroad - it's all about the details!

Started by S&S RR, September 11, 2014, 09:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

These aren't the same mountains shown above. Still under construction all the same.

This is the test module of track George used in the first Allen Keller video.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

Great historic pictures - it is amazing how much George has changed over the years.  I will take a shot at what has happened to the structures in each of these pictures from my discussions with George.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 08, 2016, 04:19:35 PM
I didn't want to put these older photos on John's new F&SM thread but they are worth looking at none the less. Very interesting how the layout has changed over the years and for the better of us all.

I got most of these from a prior visitor of the F&SM when the photos were being made available through Ebay. This was long before any forums were posting photos.

Some of these were sent to me by other modelers and I don't remember whom they were so I can't give them credit.

I did't take any of these photos and if I'm stepping on anyone I'm sorry. I remember what my father used to say, "Don't be mad at me, I'm an old man"!

These next few are from 1987.

Barongould Tannery - I don't remember seeing this on the last visit.

Manchester lift bridge.

The bridge is still on the layout in the same location.  The Tannery was removed from the layout - George told me that it fell apart when he tried to move it.  It was located on the left side of the North River.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 08, 2016, 04:21:35 PM
G. Wilikers Machinery Wholesales -

G. Wilikers prototype build - George was going to install it on the layout and someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Today it is on Howard Zanes' layout. It changed hands a few times before Howard acquired it.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 08, 2016, 04:23:26 PM
Swakhammer's Welding Company -

Continued in a few. Time for a Diet Pepsi break.

Tom ;D

George told me last week that he wishes he wouldn't have sold Swankhammer's. The kit sold so well he never built one for himself.  This is the prototype that was sold.  A quote from George - "John at the time I needed the money".
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 08, 2016, 04:43:11 PM

Duffy's Coal Company -

Duffy's was modified to become a Roofers and moved to Bedford Falls.

Page  41   Bortel, Harris & Company Roofers
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

That information is great historical info as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Interesting.  Living in the land of recent seismic events I couldn't imagine placing G. Wilikers like that!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

John Siekirk

rpdylan

I asked George about Swakhammers last week and he told me the same thing: he wished he didnt sell it.  I was fortunate to acquire one of the kits in January, the box weighs a ton! I want to build it so bad! 

Bob C.
Bob C.

Zephyrus52246

The construction pics are great.  I assume George has a vision of what he wants to do and where he wants what when he starts.  But wedging all the kits in must be a bit of a challenge, even with scratchbuilding everything else.

Jeff

Twopoint2

Expo 2016 layout tour photo.

Onewolf

Does anyone have photos of the "Smith Bros & Burdick" building?  I love the building and I'm looking for photos of the 'other' side relative to this photo:

Thanks.

ACL1504

Doug,

I'm surprised nobody has any of the photos you requested. I checked all of mine and didn't find any.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: Onewolf on May 03, 2016, 10:06:51 AM
Does anyone have photos of the "Smith Bros & Burdick" building?  I love the building and I'm looking for photos of the 'other' side relative to this photo:

Thanks.

Doug

I probably got shots of the back of this structure. It will be a few weeks before I get to this area with the new thread so I will try to look ahead in the next few days.  Please stay tuned.
John Siekirk