The Outie Award for Best Story - "Structural Kit Purchases"

Started by GPdemayo, November 04, 2014, 06:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Announcing The Outie Award for the Best Tale
in the category of "Structure Kit Purchases"

ReadingBob, PennsyJ1 (Bill) and I had a fun time on trip over to BLI in Ormond Beach a while back and had plenty of time to chat about the hobby.

One of the things we were chatting about was how the advances in computers and the internet has effected the hobby and changed it from what it was back in the Stone Age, when we were all kids, to what it is today. The forums have changed what was at times a very solitary hobby into a shared adventure with others. The exchange of information and ideas is so much greater than before and really helps us all elevate our work. And is a lot of fun too.

Another topic was our compulsion of buying kits (it's also steam locos for me) for our layouts. In Bob's case, buying kits for a layout he hasn't built. In my and Bob's, it's that age old problem of so many great kits, so little layout. I hesitate to mention the stash Tom has out in his man cave.

What, if any, is this disturbing habit many of us have of purchasing a kit that we know full well might never make it to a scene on the layout?

The more I thought about it, the more I thought that there should be some great stories out there. I also thought it might be entertaining for us to share a few tales and it might be interesting to all those guys that are selling kits to see how our convoluted minds work.

Since the first anniversary of this forum is coming up on or about the 17th of November, I thought this might be the right time and a fun way to celebrate. So here goes!

The "Outie" is a prestigious and coveted award that has been made possible by the high standards set by the group of miscreants on this forum. It will be awarded to the individual with the most entertaining and outrageous kit purchase story. All entries must be post marked by no later than November 12 and the winner will be announced on November 17.

The above is a photo of the award as manufactured by B.T.S. that will be sent to the winners.

The above is a photo of the completed kit.

The entries will be judged by a prestigious, blue ribbon, select panel and by the members of this forum. 

AWARDS:

There will be two (2) Outie Awards awarded in this contest. The first will be determined by the prestigious panel mentioned above. The second will be a Mr. or Miss Congeniality award voted on by members of this forum.

RULES:

1. Each entry must be submitted, on this thread, with a narrative of the logic and/or compulsion behind said purchase.

2.  Each entry must be submitted with at least 1 photo of the box of the kit.

3.  This "Outie" will apply to only kits of structures, no others will be accepted.

4.  All entries must be submitted on or before Nov. 12, 2014. No entries will be considered after that date.

5.  Voting for the Mr. or Miss Congeniality award will be submitted to me by e-mail on or before the Nov. 12, 2014 deadline. Each vote to be sent to demayoind@aol.com, with "The Outie Award" in the subject line and each voters real name and forum name in the body. Only votes by members of this forum will be accepted.

6. Winners will be required to post photos of the completed structure in a timely manner, which will be determined by agreement between the sponsor or this contest and the winners.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

BandOGuy

Now, if you'd had an "innie contest", the server might not have choked.  8)
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

NEMMRRC

My entry is not my exactly my own but it's a great story nonetheless.

The $16 FSM Kit

Over at kitforums.com MRDawg managed to snatch a vintage FSM Kit for $16 at an estate sale. I was quite envious since I've been going to estate sales with my wife Lisa for over 10 years and not once have I found a FSM Kit let alone one for the bargain basement price of $16.

Recently BoB Dye took pity on me and sold me one of his vintage FSM kits for the elusive $16.

Read MRDawg's account here:
http://kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6785&start=10
http://kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6785&start=20#p112032

The kit I bought for $16 from Bob Dye:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jaime

bparrish

I built this outhouse some years ago and don't have the original packaging. So I'm not sure it qualifies for your contest.  But...........   It is a Wild West Models structure that I got from them at the 2005 Narrow Gauge convention in Dearborn Michigan.

The story:
                 All modelers make certain choices with their pike.  The era they model or location in the world all speak to their interests.  Some modelers show the world as it is and some present their modeled world as they see it or wish that it might be.  Current day modelers show the world as it is and display this with current railroad equipment and finish it out with current vehicles, structures and current styles of dress on the little people.
                Modelers who select a point in history choose to model a time that they might have grown up within or that they have a particular interest in.  There are Civil War modelers and there are transition era people, among others.  Transition is that period of railroading that spanned the steam to Diesel power eras.
                I chose a period of 1897 to 1913 as it holds the time frame of a particular railroad's existence; the Boise, Nampa and Owyhee Railroad.  It also is a period of time that held an innocence of the outside world and existed by a much more locally driven appearance and life style.
                My railroad has a church that the parishioners all get along with each other and they even like the preacher.  Boise has a town bum and a town wino, but they get in at night and no one sleeps on the street or in an alley.  Of course there are the bums under the bridge but they are gregarious and are able to provide their own entertainment and the nearby town offers sustenance when requested. No one is turned away.
                The politics of the time has no dynastic multi generational presidents or lifelong (career) politicians.  They get elected for a term or two and then go home to their homes and work places.  Things are as they should be; at least in the eye of this modeler.
                With that then is the following submission.  A two storied out house.  The signs on the various doors are a depiction of how things ought to be.   A local person gets elected and goes to the place of convening for that body of government.  No one stays in office long enough to become a politician; they serve and then leave.  But when a person chooses not to leave appropriately the village outhouse has a well mapped protocol for where that person may be allowed to relieve himself. With that he must consider the outcomes of poor leadership and too long of a tenure.

It is particularly appropriate today.
see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

GPdemayo

Good start Jamie and Bob.  8)

I will put up a story (ineligible for entry in the contest), that was the main inspiration for this thread, in a day or two.

Stay tuned and please submit stories of the most wanted, but least needed kit purchases you have ever made. We look forward to hearing from you.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Slim Jerkins

I don't think this qualifies but I know this guy who bought a lighting kit off of me and I sent him this email a few years ago...

-slim

ACL1504

Slim,

That was a whole bunch of fun and certainly was the "hot" topic for several months following. Thanks for letting me participate.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

gnatshop

Quote from: BandOGuy on November 05, 2014, 09:46:57 PM
4 YEARS AGO?
My how time flies when you're having fun. 
I'll bet li'l Jimmy still remembers it well, and still has payback schemes runnin' around
in the back of his head!!
Surprised that he didn't burn Tommy and Slim effigies this Halloween!!  ;D ;D ;D

Zephyrus52246

One day long ago on ebay, An FSM Rollin Sawyer Chemical came up with a $0 start and no reserve.  I put in what I thought was a very low bid (more than $16), just to follow the auction.  No one else bid and I had yet another FSM kit in the pile.   :)

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on November 06, 2014, 07:50:18 AM
One day long ago on ebay, An FSM Rollin Sawyer Chemical came up with a $0 start and no reserve.  I put in what I thought was a very low bid (more than $16), just to follow the auction.  No one else bid and I had yet another FSM kit in the pile.   :)

Jeff

I missed it - that is one of the three I still need - well need isn't the best word - want is probably better. Jeff I wounder if my number over 16 would have been higher than yours.  ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

EricQuebec

They'RE few year ago, in the time between Christmas and New year eve, I bought the FSM Dexter dead ENd Kit on E-bay. The sellers ask a very reasonnable price for it, and offer at this price  the buy it now option.  I've buy it, somethings like one hour after the kit was annouced.
To avoid extra fees at custom agency, I've asked the seller if he can send the kit as gift for a value under 100 $. The sellers said yes, and when the kit arrived at home I found the kit in the parcel box, wrapped in gift paper with a christmas card saying Merry christmas my friend..... Funny and very pleasant

Eric QUébec city

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Notice of Contest Status

Sorry about the lack of responsiveness on my part, but Pegi had a small problem and has been in the hospital since last week and my attention has been elsewhere.

Since the deadline is tomorrow and I haven't been available, I think things should be pushed back a couple of weeks.

Let's make the new deadline the 26th of November for all the stories and the awarding of the  prize the following week.

Let me get a bit more organized here and I'll get back with this in a couple of days.

Thanks for following along.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Greg,

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Pegi and you.  I sure hope she gets well soon.

Sorry, I can't think of an interesting story for the contest.  I have lot's and lot's of kits but no good stories with regards to purchases.  My most prized possession is probably an FSM kit, #205 the Wilfred J. Brambell Co, which wasn't a purchase.  It was given as a gift in return for building structures for someone who shall remain nameless.   :D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.