Bethlehem Car Works etched brass/plastic B&M steel combine

Started by jbvb, February 05, 2014, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

I built this some time ago, but took the pictures to show how it went together.  It's stock except I sanded the roof down to reduce the height of the clerestory.  I made a new overhang out of styrene strip, visible in the last photo.
James

tct855

James,
           Really good work!  I like the plastic/brass precision, I know that took some quality time.  Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished car.  Thanx Thom...

jbvb

Thanks, Thom.  The photos I had on my Unofficial B&M Page were lower quality than they now have to be, so I took better ones this morning:

James

jbvb

4526 is a coach that received ice A/C in the late 1930s for long-haul (by B&M standards) service.  4-door combines like 3603 never got A/C.  Both cars are using Overland brass trucks which aren't exactly right.  I think the KitBits 95A truck is closer to the prototye.
James

tct855

James,
           I like the new photos, excellent work.  I like the added shades.  The overall look of the car seems right to me, that's all I'm usually after when I model.  Thanx Thom...

tct855

Here's a car I rebuilt for a customers private line.  The car has all wheel pickups with a custom stay alive 4 function constant lighting package added.  I added peeling paint weathering, cut open 2 windows, rear cabin door, plus added cabin and cupola seats/crew members so the lights have a reason for being.  Thanx Thom...

jbvb

The road name makes me wonder if the couple has a little tension about the relative cost of their hobbies.
James

CVSNE

James,
Smoker-combine looks great. I have to finish mine up for the Ambassador on my CV layout and will use your photos and notes for reference.
Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

ReadingBob

Great job on both models James and Thom.  Thanks for sharing the photo's.  I believe it was the owner of met the owner of Bethlehem Car Works a couple weeks ago at the RCT&HS museum in Hamburg, PA.  I have one of his kits sitting on the shelf somewhere but don't recall what it is.  Now I'm curious.... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jbvb

Thanks, Marty.  The Unofficial B&M Page has info on construction articles for this kit in RMJ and MM, decades ago.

Bob, different Bethlehem Car Works kits may require considerably more or less effort to build. The RDG steel passenger cars from the 1920s are flat styrene and relatively easy to build.  The metal-sided cars and those with major components cast in resin are harder. I think some recent kits have had laser-cut parts too. John Green turns out quality product, though like everyone else he sometimes has trouble with warps in his injection-molded roofs.
James