2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

At this point I have decided to build the kit as is and then look at making additions once I have it in a test fit on the layout.  I have looked at many different configurations of this basic design on the internet and have a few optional build on if I like how they look once it's on the layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

So the castings have been prepped for painting and today made their way to the paint booth.  Here are a few pictures of the painting process.  The castings that will be painted to look like rusted metal are getting a coat of earth brown.  The castings that are wood and the window and door castings are being paint Kaki.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Janbouli

Can't see the castings , must be the paint  ;)

Following along as ever John .
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

The metal detail castings have been primed and are ready for detail painting. I'm planing to stain the wood for the build with Hunterline stain and then add some chalks. I need to do some testing with the stains to get the color I have in my head.  I want a built within the last 15 - 20 years and well maintained look.  This coal tower will be located in a heavily used working yard on the S&S RR.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks like you are having fun buddy.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 11, 2020, 03:57:04 PM
Hey John:

Looks like you are having fun buddy.

Karl

Karl

Yes I am. Three builds going at the same time. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

In preparation for choosing the color I want to stain the wood for this project I made strip wood sample sticks for each of the Hunterline stains in my collection. I will just dip a stick into each new color that I purchase to keep the sample bank up-to-date.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm planning on staining the wood for this build,  today. It's time to make a final choice on color. :-\  I will update the build thread when we get the gallery back and Jimmy is done with repairs to the forum.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Words only until the gallery gets fixed. :-[  I finished detailing the castings for the build and started preparing all the wood pieces.  I decided to go with a Hunterline Stain of Driftwood for all the wood as a base color.  I will add accents with chalks after everything is together.  I'm taking pictures as I go so I hope to update this build thread properly, soon.
John Siekirk

deemery

I did Hunterline Driftwood as the first layer on the Bisgeier building, then applied slightly thinned ochre craft paint.  The overall effect is great.  I've also used their Driftwood on top of my 'standard' raw wood primer to get a good new wood effect even on styrene.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 19, 2020, 09:44:33 AM
I did Hunterline Driftwood as the first layer on the Bisgeier building, then applied slightly thinned ochre craft paint.  The overall effect is great.  I've also used their Driftwood on top of my 'standard' raw wood primer to get a good new wood effect even on styrene.

dave

Dave

I really like the Hunterline stains.  I can get the same affect using my special formula but the hunter line is all ready for me. I always add some chalks during the detailing.
John Siekirk