Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Quote from: S&S RR on December 17, 2018, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: vinceg on December 17, 2018, 03:18:07 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 17, 2018, 03:13:11 PM
Mark and Tom

Thank you for the inspiring comments. The two most common questions that I'm asked by visitors to my layout is; do you think you will every finish it?, and how much money do you have in it?  I always answer the first with that depends on how long I live.  The second question I answer by saying the same amount that I would have spent on golf if I would have kept playing.

Yep - some questions are off-limits to me. One of those is how much you spend on your hobbies. You're much more polite.

Vince

It is usually one of my wife's friends asking the question and I know my wife knows how much I spent on golf back in the day.  Especially, when it was part of my job.

That was fantastic pre-planning to ensure your post-retirement train budget would be intact  ;D  ...I need to start playing (and spending) more golf to set the stage.

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on December 19, 2018, 06:28:50 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 17, 2018, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: vinceg on December 17, 2018, 03:18:07 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 17, 2018, 03:13:11 PM
Mark and Tom

Thank you for the inspiring comments. The two most common questions that I'm asked by visitors to my layout is; do you think you will every finish it?, and how much money do you have in it?  I always answer the first with that depends on how long I live.  The second question I answer by saying the same amount that I would have spent on golf if I would have kept playing.

Yep - some questions are off-limits to me. One of those is how much you spend on your hobbies. You're much more polite.

Vince

It is usually one of my wife's friends asking the question and I know my wife knows how much I spent on golf back in the day.  Especially, when it was part of my job.

That was fantastic pre-planning to ensure your post-retirement train budget would be intact  ;D  ...I need to start playing (and spending) more golf to set the stage.

You need a plan John :) ;D
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Lynnb

That will be a nice addition. 15 years ago I started buying stuff I thought would come in handy for the retirement time of the hobby , still havent retired and most of my dcc stuff is now ancient  :-[
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on December 19, 2018, 08:50:51 PM
That will be a nice addition. 15 years ago I started buying stuff I thought would come in handy for the retirement time of the hobby , still havent retired and most of my dcc stuff is now ancient  :-[

Thanks Lynn - I have found that the older DCC stuff works just fine. The sound decoders have come a long way over the years.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Merry Christmas from the Management and Crew of the Superior & Seattle Railroad. We will be running trains and enjoying having the family together for the next few days.
John Siekirk

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi John,
Merry Christmas to you as well.  The layout is nothing short of amazing! 

S&S RR

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on December 23, 2018, 11:42:20 AM
Hi John,
Merry Christmas to you as well.  The layout is nothing short of amazing!

Bruce

Thank you for the kind words and for stopping by the thread.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I new year is starting on the Superior & Seattle Railroad.  I have two build threads going that chronicle the structure builds.  The Threadwell's and Delabarre builds and the just started today Schwarz Foundry - aka FSM Sewall's Foundry. I made the first pour of water in the mill pond of Threadwell's today.  Here is a progress picture.

My other big project is the completion of the Eagles Nest Yard.  I will be installing the rest of the track, the switch machines, the control panels,  and the detail scenery. The plan is to switch back and forth between this project and the structure builds.

In the spring when the weather is good enough to work in my garage, I plan on constructing the benchwork and doing the track work for the layout extension that was discussed above.

So thats the plan, until I change it.  ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

This weeks update pictures.  The inside lights of the Threadwell's and Delabarre builds.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

It was moving day on the S&S RR today.  I decided to bring the Threadwell's diorama into the layout room for the final details and scenery.

John Siekirk