FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks just beautiful. I especially love the signs.

Karl

fsmcollector67

George,
Very nicely done so far.....

Loren....
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Opa George

Thanks for the nice comments, Curt, Karl and Loren.

The walls for the Burger Joint are corrugated metal--not a very inviting look for a fine dining establishment. So the owner decided to dress it up with a coat of blue paint--quite a while ago.  I began by spraying the corrugated panels with Rustoleum red primer--a nice base for rust.

Then I added the blue, topped off by some shades of gray, then some browns. All colors are acrylics thinned with water.

I used scissors to cut the separate panels--a tip I learned here. But any method of cutting leaves the uncolored edges.  I used an alcohol art marker with wide chisel tip to quickly color the edges.  This is "Pewter," but most gray shades will work well. Brown could also be used for a rusted edge.

Panels are applied to the wall base with wood glue. I worked around the window and door openings, and when it came time to side around the openings, used a technique I learned from a Builders In Scale kit.  Cover one half of a window and let the panel glue set.

Cut out the half window, then apply the next panel.  With the first half cut, you can easily see where to make the next cuts.

Test fitting a window to the opening--Success!

Time to let everything dry and cure.
--George

jerryrbeach

George,

That front row seat I grabbed is really paying off.  I like the way you did your corrugated siding.  Clear explanation of what you did and a great result.  Blue is a difficult color to use without it looking too bright.  IMO you nailed it perfectly.  Definitely enjoying this build!
Jerry

S&S RR

George

I'm just getting caught up on your build. Looks fantastic so far. I have this kit in my stash so I'm watching with great interest.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, George.

I, too, like the technique and colour you used/ achieved on the corrugated iron.  The maker on the side is a nice tip.

Cheers, Mark.

rpdylan

Really nice! What color blue did you use?
Bob C.

Janbouli

Corrugated steel looks amazing , great job.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

Quote from: rpdylan on October 25, 2019, 12:30:52 AM
Really nice! What color blue did you use?
[/quote)

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.
Bob, below is a shot of all the acrylic paints I used, lined up, to get the "final" color on the corrugated siding (not really final--I'll play around with a few more streaks of rust and grime in the final weathering step.)

I diluted them with water to various degrees.  Some just slightly where I wanted a stronger effect, some to a greater degree where I wanted a wash.  The base color of Rustoleum red primer also muted them.

In case you find it difficult to read the color names, they are, from left to right: Scuba, Desert Sand, Terra Cotta, Chestnut, Fossil Gray and Pale Gray.
--George

Bruce Oberleitner

Very nice work Opa George.  I am going to have to try out that corrugated metal technique on my next structure build.

Opa George

Thanks, Bruce!
Continuing on, I added acetate "glass" to all windows, nice sunny diner shades and an "Open" sign to the front door, then glued them to the walls, leaving the front door ajar so I can add a customer later.  I roofed it in tarpaper, but changed up the color. The paper roofing strips had been spray-painted flat black.  I took three of the strips and over sprayed with Rustoleum primer red. When that was dry over sprayed a little lighter with Rustoleum "Multicolored Textured" Desert Bisque.  I rather like the final result. 

I constructed the roof sign per the provided template, and added a few more details and signs. Although not yet done, below are a few progress pics.

and the side, which to my eyes is calling out for a billboard poster or vines or something:

and what it looks like in place (not yet attached) next to Vallon Paint.

Sorry if these pics are a little fuzzy--I may have gotten too close with the camera.
--Opa George

Jerry

George

Great idea going with the blue.  it really made a difference.  Really nice work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

I really like the blue color.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Jerry and Curt, thanks for the feedback on the blue color.  I've read, and heard, that blue must only be used judiciously and rarely on model structures because it seldom looks good.  I have to say, though, that I have quite a bit of blue on the structures on my layout. I tend to use muted blues and grayish blues.  Maybe that is the safe zone on the color wheel!

--Opa George

Opa George

I attached the burger joint, Hole In the Wall Grill, to the paint shop and added more details, dry brushed some highlights with silver, then with light gray, and applied chalk weathering powder.  Still to do, add downspouts and the electrical service cable. Below are shots all around:

Front side and alley:

Front from other angle:

I set the first two structures aside for now--let the paint and glue fully dry before adding additional details.  Next up is the gas station. As this is a stucco structure, the walls are fiber board and will assemble via tab and slot construction.

Although the roof is not to be added until later, I have it on, but not yet glued, in order to keep the wall angles accurate. 

Here is the assembly as seen upside down, showing the scribed wood ceiling, which also helps guide the shape.  I added nail holes, but little distressing as this would be in a protected area. Hunterline Light Gray brings out the texture and the nail holes.  You may note at this point minimal internal bracing.  I'll add some bracing after the entire assembly fully dries. As there was no A&I application, there was no fear of warping at this point.

The next step in the instructions made me pause. The posts on the gas pump island are cut to fit from 1/8 inch square strip stock. However the pilot model shows the structure on a foundation, whereas no foundation is mentioned in the instructions and none is provided, that I could tell.  If the structure is later elevated on a foundation, the cut posts will be short by about 1/16th inch.

There is a sidewalk provided for this structure, so I went to my parts box and found a scrap of 1/16th sheet wood, the height matching the sidewalk, large enough to accommodate the gas station.  I cut it to fit, and can now measure and cut the island columns.

Here, the core assembly is drying.  The roof, foundation, sidewalk and gas pump island are not glued yet.

--Opa George