Builders in Scale Weiry & Sons Drilling

Started by SteveCuster, November 18, 2021, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

That is very nicely done.  Anticipating the other structures.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

SteveCuster

Thanks Bob!

I started work on the warehouse this week. I used the same colors and most of the same building techniques for the walls as I did on the main structure.

All the walls all colored and glued together.

Other side of the structure.

The base gets built around this cardstock template. The kit came with scale 6x6 bracing but I know from experience this vertical scribed material warps like crazy once it comes in contact with the glue and water used for the ground cover so I beefed it up to 12x12s.

Test fitting the base under the structure.

I thought this building felt familiar....I already built this structure but in a different kit by BIS. On this one the side is just mirrored but otherwise it's pretty much the same. I just need to make sure I display a different angle on the layout.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Great build and I love the colors. Looks just great in place on the RR.

Karl

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

MAP

Mark

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Steve,
Really like the colors of this build.
Just found out that CC Crow sells all the Builder in Scale kit plans and some parts now since he purchased the company a while back.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

Tom, I saw that CC Crow took over but the last time I was shopping on the site it said he wasn't taking any orders for a while. I just checked it now and it looks like he's shipping the BIS stuff. I'm going to see what items are interesting to me and put an order in this week I think. Thanks for the tip.

I moved forward a bit this weekend with the kit.

I colored and glued the foundation to the warehouse, added the roof and glued the whole thing down.

I added the docks. As you can see the scenery is wet. I also filled in the difficult to get to areas with scenery so I can start detailing them.

I added a few detail parts and some wood scraps under the stairs.

The little bit of scenery and docks are dried. I can start planning the flow of the scene.

I placed the whole scene on the layout to get an idea of entrance, exits and fencing. This should give a little idea of how it will sit. I liked the wood supports and the staircase so I wanted that facing the front, the other side is pretty plain and boring. You can see the pencil marks where I'm planning the fence.

Thanks for following along. Next step is building the little tow behind trailer, the fence and adding the details.

Steve Custer

Jerry

Steve great build your perfect coloring fits in perfect with the other buildings.

Is the rabbit the guardian of the RR??  ;)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks Jerry! That's funny but the rabbit is porcelain music box one of my kids broke. My wife asked me to glue it together. 3 young boys and any porcelain ornamental things are always a bad match.
Steve Custer

Opa George

That's an all-around beautiful job on this kit, Steve. Congrats on how nicely it turned out.  Thanks for sharing the build. Looking forward to the detailing pics.
--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

PRR Modeler

Excellent modeling Steve. I look forward to how you finish the build.
Curt Webb

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

It's starting to wrap up now. Spent some time working out the fencing and just the flow of the diorama as well as painting and adding some castings.

I started out trying to use a plastic Tichy fence for the whole perimeter of the scene. I completed it but I really didn't like the way it felt so I pulled it. Then I toyed with no fence but that wasn't right either.

I added some details and then I added this simple fence. I always like this type of fence because its super easy to do and it boxes in a scene but still allows everything to be viewed unobstructed.
To make this fence I just cut a bunch of scale 4x4s 5 scale feet long and poke a hole every 8 scale feet with a toothpick, then I glue them in place. I try to get the heights fairly even but it doesn't matter that much. I cut scale 2x4s a little longer than 8 ft and start gluing them. I prestained everything also. This whole fence took me about 10 minutes.

Shot of the "front" which is actually the side. The little trailer was part of the kit but also sold separately as "Flybynight Construction" I believe.

More shots..

Most of the castings were included with the kit.

I blackened 3 different vehicle kits last night so at least 2 will be added to the scene here. Still a bit more detailing to go but I expect to be done by this weekend.

Thanks for following along!
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb