Started by ReadingBob, January 02, 2021, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on February 25, 2021, 10:08:56 AM
Bob! That is one Beautiful job sir!!!! Dennis

Thank you Dennis!  Very glad to have you following along.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Time to wrap this one up.  I'll actually have a Build Challenge build done before the deadline.   8)

First up let me describe a little boo boo I made.  Where the clapboard structure joins the stucco structure there were the slightest little gaps that might allow for light leaks.  I decided to seal them using the little bottle of pitch (Elmer's White Glue and PollyScale Grimy Black mixed together) from the inside.  Well.....when I went to apply the pitch to the joint the tip was clogged.  I squeezed the bottle a little too hard and the top popped off and the glue came out and go on inside of the two lower windows I'm pointing to.  :'(  I used plain old rubbing alcohol to loosed the curtains and blinds and remove them.  I had to replace the glazing on one of the two windows.  The other one cleaned up just fine.  Then I had to install new curtains, blinds and a piece of glazing.  All in all a recoverable boo boo.

I made up three working gooseneck lights for the structure.  Maybe I'll try to cover the construction of these in another build thread some day.  It involves a lot of cussing though.  ;D  Here I am testing one.

Something I've wanted to try ever since I saw Slim use it was this Television Flickering Simulator I bought from Slim at the Altoona EXPO.  I installed an LED in a hole I drilled through a little, left over, TV from another FOS build I did a while back and made up a core for the building using photo mounting board.  Because the curtains are wide open in the room I plan on installing this I added a rug and wallpaper to the room using 3M Transfer tape and images culled from the web.

The circuit board itself is tiny so I won't bore you with pictures of me soldering wires to it.  Positive in and negative out to the power source and positive and negative to the LED. That's all there is to it.

Back to my earlier boo boo with the glue.  The second casualty of the mistake was a missing sign I had made up earlier.   ::)  I dug around the trash and found it adhered to the paper towels I used to partially clean up the mess and had tossed out.  But the signs themselves were ruined.

I soaked the glue joints where the signs were connected to the support with rubbing alcohol so I could remove them and prepared new signs in the meantime.  I had to ask Tom to scan the signs from the kit for me and e-mail them to me so I had some replacements.  Normally I scan them before I use them just in case but, as luck would have it, my printer/scanner had given up the ghost and I hadn't replaced it yet.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

On to the finished pictures!  The fire escape and the sign ended up being a little tricky to build but I eventually got them together and reaffirmed my hatred for ACC in the process.   ;)

More in a moment... :D

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Now for the lit up pictures.  Sorry I don't have a video to show the TV Flickering effect.  :(

That's all folks!  Thanks for following along!   8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

NKP768

Awesome looking job Bob.....lighting looks great.

Doug

Dennis Bourey

Bob, I like that all the way around, Beautiful job.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

GPdemayo

Very well don Bob, good recovery with the boo boo's.....the lighting is outstanding.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Keep It Rusty

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

The lighting looks just great.

Karl

PaulS

Another wonderful build Bob and thanks for sharing it with us.
The lighting also adds so much to these creations of yours,
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

ACL1504

Bob,

What a great build, boo boo's and all. It will be a wonderful addition to the A&S RR along with the other fantastic "Reading Bob" builds.

Very well done my friend.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: NKP768 on March 17, 2021, 07:46:43 AM
Awesome looking job Bob.....lighting looks great.

Doug

Thanks Doug!  The lighting adds at least a couple of days to the build but I think it's worth the extra effort. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 17, 2021, 07:52:58 AM
Bob, I like that all the way around, Beautiful job.

Thank you Dennis.  Glad to have you following along and posting.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net