RailroadKITS - Depot / Station

Started by GPdemayo, December 19, 2013, 05:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Hey "Tight Man"! The Christmas shopping was already done! However, I'll take the big ole BOO HOO for the stocking stuffers caper. Speaking of stuffers, well, never mind!

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2014, 06:33:21 PM
Hey "Tight Man"! The Christmas shopping was already done! However, I'll take the big ole BOO HOO for the stocking stuffers caper. Speaking of stuffers, well, never mind!

Tom

Play nice "Dr. Evil" or I won't let you play with your PFM sound system the next time you drop in!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hello and welcome again to the build of JimmyDs' Depot Station.

Since it was back at the beginning of this forum that I started this thread, I thought I would just start over.

This is a nice generic design that will fit in on most any layout and has the added advantage of being an easy build that will add a good bit of interest to a scene.

Below are the requisite photos of the box and contents.

Exhibit #1 - (RK-DS-001)

Exhibit #2 - (RK-DS-002)

Jimmy did not include instructions in the kit, instead they can be found on his website to be downloaded and printed as needed.

Exhibit #3 - (RK-DS-004)

And of course, the kit contents.

Exhibit #4 - (RK-DS-003)

I like the kit as is, but like most of my builds, I just have to make a few changes or additions. I'll include these explanations as I go along.

Next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

BandOGuy

Do I need to post the song lyrics again?
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

GPdemayo

I began the build by installing the bracing the exterior walls, as recommended.

Exhibit #1 - (RK-DS-006)

Painted the interior side of the walls with a flat black paint and

Exhibit #2 - (RK-DS-007)

painted the exterior with Floquil G.W. Cream after cutting a few joints in the lap siding. As usual in lap siding, no nail holes.

Exhibit #3 - (RK-DS-008)

After letting the paint dry, I glued a side wall to a front wall, then a side wall to the rear wall.

Exhibit #4 - (RK-DS-018)

When these set up overnight, I glued the 2 pairs of wall together, along with the 3 walls for the telegraph operators area.

Exhibit #5 - (RK-DS-020)

Exhibit #6 - (RK-DS-021)

Continued soon.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hi Greg:

Looks great so far. From the looks of that kit you probably wouldn't even need the instruction to assemble it as it looks quite simple.

Karl

Slim Jerkins

I guess I oughta kick myself in the behind and go back to finishing that lighting thread I started  a while ago  :P

-slim

jrmueller

Anyone have any suggestion for a source for gatorboard.  I live in central VA. Thanks. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

GPdemayo

Quote from: postalkarl on June 04, 2014, 09:24:54 AM
Hi Greg:

Looks great so far. From the looks of that kit you probably wouldn't even need the instruction to assemble it as it looks quite simple.

Karl

Thanks Karl, it is a simple kit, but I'm sure I can complicate it up a bit.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on June 04, 2014, 10:23:11 AM
I guess I oughta kick myself in the behind and go back to finishing that lighting thread I started  a while ago  :P

-slim

Yes you should, but let us do the kicking for you!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: jrmueller on June 04, 2014, 10:52:40 AM
Anyone have any suggestion for a source for gatorboard.  I live in central VA. Thanks. Jim

Hi Jim.....I don't, but ReadingBob might have some info, I'll ask him about it on Saturday.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 04, 2014, 02:07:55 PM
Quote from: jrmueller on June 04, 2014, 10:52:40 AM

Hi Jim.....I don't, but ReadingBob might have some info, I'll ask him about it on Saturday.

Sorry Jim, Central VA I can't help you with.

The first sheet I got I picked up at an art supply store (Sam Flaxx) down in Orlando.  A 1/2" thick sheet that was maybe 4' by 4' was very expensive but it really did go a long way since I was only using it to make up diorama bases for structures.

The stuff I'm using now I actually got for free.  It was laminated with signs that were on display at a conference.  When the conference was over I found out that they were going to throw most of the signs away so I hauled three large (roughly 3' x 8') signs out to my van and went on my merry way.   ;D   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jrmueller

Bob.  Sounds like you really scored big time.  Thanks for your info. The search for gatorboard is on. I remember there was a distributor with a display at the 2012,EXPO. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

Dave K.

I have a mail order source, Jim. I'll have to post it when I get home. Fast service...well-packed. It might be foamboardsource.com but I'll check. U-Line, which also carries Karl Tape, has it as well but I haven't used them. They claim same day delivery if the order's in by 6 pm

Dave K.

Just got home and checked and, yes, I got 5 sheets of 3/16" from foamboardsource.com.  I also had a small leaflet in my file that one of our kit manufacturers included in an order calling our attention to gatorfoam.com.  No experience with them. Shop around...the stuff can be pricey. Really nice to work with.