The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 24, 2021, 11:26:55 AM
Looks like an interesting complex.  Should be a fun build.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

I think it will be very much a fun build. I'm looking forward to it even though it will be quite some time.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Lynnb on February 24, 2021, 11:32:13 AM
Tom each time I return to admire your work I am simply amazed, not just at the fine work but the amount of work you get completed.

Lynn,

Thank you for the very kind compliment on the layout and thread. My work seems to come in bunches like bananas.  I've been slowed as late selling a late friends estate on Ebay for his wife.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on February 24, 2021, 12:04:48 PM
Looks great, I will be following along on your build.

John,

Thank you my friend. I hope to get to the build within the next twelve months.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 24, 2021, 02:59:47 PM
Tom,

FWIW, and you're probably already way ahead of me... ;D    Modeling your time frame, I would expect those bright yellow handrails to be gray or a similar drab color.  Ditto waste barrels, etc.  Flammable rag safety cans would likely be red, and most safety notices from that time period I have seen were either white on green or the reverse.  Step edges and stair treads would likely be gray also.  I started working in a large facility in 1969 and they were just starting to go with (safety) yellow handrails (top rail only) and step edges then.

Jerry,

I think the yellow looks perfect for a more recent diesel facility. Actually, I've never seen a yellow waste barrel. In the shops, old and new I've been in, they were all old weathered silver of gray as you said. The fuel wags were in red cans or barrels. It seems if I remember correctly, diesel knobs and signs were in green or white.

In the above photos, I think there is to much yellow even for a modern facility. The only weathering I see is a little on the slab.

I like the idea of a drab or gray color for the rails, steps and walkway. The fuel and dirty hands would make everything look wonderfully nasty after some time anyway.

We, my friend, are on the same page.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 24, 2021, 04:40:29 PM
Hey Tom:

beautiful job on the diesel facility.

Karl

Karl,

Yes, James did a great job on his. I haven't started mine yet and it will be much more weathered then the one shown above.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Tom,
That large Diamond Scale Diesel Service kit that you will be installing and building will be a focal point on your Summit level of the A&S RR.
Will follow along...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 25, 2021, 01:39:36 PM
Tom,
That large Diamond Scale Diesel Service kit that you will be installing and building will be a focal point on your Summit level of the A&S RR.
Will follow along...
Tommy

Tommy,

I apologize for not responding to your post in a timely manner. No excuses.

I'm very much looking forward to building it but it will be a year out prior to the start.

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I've neglected this thread for no other reason than me being very busy. I'm doing many different things for others but only a couple for me.

Anyway, here is a little Throw Back Thursday look at the Atlantic and Southern.

The Judge sent me a photo he took of the layout room in September 2014. I couldn't "save as" in his format. I did save it but it was small and when enlarged the focus was terrible.

So, the first photo is one I took in late December 2013. Not much different than his photo but you can see in the left and right rear of the photo some bench work.

This next photo was taken last week. About seven years difference.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

My plan is to begin the water pour on Sunday or Monday. Yes, I'll post photos along with how it went.

I feel like two steps forward results in more than two steps in the opposite direction.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Dennis,

Thank you for the nice compliment, appreciate it.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

Love the before and after pictures.  Your layout is beautiful and it's great to see all the progress you have made.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

TomW

Tom, Wow what progress since I saw it last. Love the engine turntable and facility. Beautiful job.

Janbouli

7 years , mine doesn't look even close to that after 14 years, beautiful layout Tom
I love photo's, don't we all.

Erieman

OMG, The layout is coming along great. Really enjoy the overall picture. Its amazing how much you have accomplished in such a short time. Really looking great Tom. Keep up the wonderful job. It takes a long time to fil in the layout. I know. You are doing an amazing effort on the A&S build. Still looks like a lot of tubs under the layout!

Frank / Erieman