1700 N Wolfe St. A Baltimore Corner Store in HO Scale

Started by restocarp, April 16, 2024, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: restocarp on April 18, 2024, 05:11:04 AMThe newspapers are just the same papers that I use for detailing rubbish on my dioramas. I used Kathy Millatt's method of downloading images of actual newspapers from Baltimore, 1952 into MS Word and then scaling them down. I then generated an entire sheet of them and printed out multiple copies. I usually just cut them out and place them on sidewalks, etc, but for this I gave parts of the printout sheets a wash of an ugly yellow/brown. Once that dried I cut out the individual newspapers and glued them to the face of a piece of acetate. I then glued any signage that I want visible on the window on top of them. I applied a bit of weathering powders here and there. Not a lot. That decorated acetate was then glued to the back of the clear acetate that is installed into the window so that the newspapers and signs are captured between the two pieces.  I think that it turned out to be very effective.

That's simply a great method and your results with are spectacular.  I have to give that a try one of these days!  Thanks for explaining.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Excellent work Matt.....the effect is amazing.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Hello Matt, add my name to the list of people that are very impressed with your build. The turret looks amazing and thank you for the tutorial on building it. I also like your method of placing newspapers in a window. That's something we've all seen many times in the real world, but rarely see in the modeled world. Good job.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

restocarp

I have built the second storefront. Still noodling on the final color.

Matt

Keep It Rusty

restocarp

Mark Dalrymple

Fabulous, Matt.

Really enjoying watching you work.

Cheers, Mark.

Rail and Tie

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Jim Donovan

Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Hello Matt, I'd like to add my praise to a job very well done to all of the others who have commented. I can't wait to see the finished building with the second story bay window.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

restocarp

Modeling weekend included a trip to Timonium. I was also able to get some additional work done including doors and windows. I also fixed an issue I had with storefront by raising the rafters and adding some additional trim to match the prototype. It's coming along.

Matt

Janbouli

I hope you consider this a compliment when I say this could be a work by Ken Hamilton
I love photo's, don't we all.

restocarp

Quote from: Janbouli on April 29, 2024, 03:08:21 PMI hope you consider this a compliment when I say this could be a work by Ken Hamilton

I do, as I am also an admirer of Ken's work. Thank you!

Matt