Shipyard is a new kit for me and has more complexity than previously modeled.
20260611_093418.jpg
20260611_094142.jpg
20260611_094755.jpg
20260611_095245.jpg
20260611_095105.jpg
20260611_094414.jpg
Curt, congratulations on the new kit.
This is an outstanding kit and should keep you busy for a while.
I will be here looking over your shoulder.
Curt congrats on the new kit!!~! Oh boy....look at all those pieces parts....have fun and enjoy this one. I'll be tagging along as you progress; looks like a great kit.
Wow, Curt, what a kit. Have fun, mike
My goodness, that's a lot of wood. Hope there are no termites nearby.
Jeff
Curt you've got your work cut out!!
Count me in for the follow along.
Jerry
Wow ! Curt. Is this one of those "several nighter", kits? LOL
Rich
What a fun project, Curt!
I just thought I'd attach this link for those (like me) who want to have a further investigation of this incredible kit. Note: There is a further link with more detail photos within this link.
https://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/106.html
The ship under construction will be a fantastic build, and very different. I'll be following along with your progress. Is your model to go on your layout? If so, it would be great to see how you plan to incorporate it.
Cheers, Mark.
Couple of pictures of a diorama by Dave Revelia of a shipyard.
Maybe you get some ideas from them.
DaveReveliaShipyard01Small.jpg
DaveReveliaShipyard02Small.jpg
Rick thanks for the pictures. I don't have them that close-up.
Jerry
Present Curt! It looks like a big footprint.
What sander are you borrowing from Terry?
Curt,
Looks like a great kit to build. I'll be following along on this adventure as well.
Tom
Good Morning,
Well it's been almost a month to do what should of taken several days. The recent family upheaval which continues and the prolonged illness have not been fun but I'm back at it now.
Thank you Rick, Larry, Mike, Jeff, Jerry, Rich, Mark, Philip, and Tom for following along and for your kind words and patience.
Rick thanks for the shipyard photo.
Mark thanks for the video.
I have completed planking the main building. Obviously, there is a ton of stuff to be done to them yet. The angled windows were a pain to trim.
The photos show how the walls went together.
20260616_084814.jpg
20260616_084844.jpg
20260704_093549.jpg
20260704_093510.jpg
Wall planking looks great Curt.
Curt great coloring on the walls.
Jerry
Howdy Curt,
The planking looks fantastic. The coloring is perfect. I see that you missed adding the siding in a few spots... ;D
Have fun,
mike
Looking great, Curt.
The colouring looks terrific. They are wide planks, back in the days of big trees... Are they 1x12's?
Cheers, Mark.
I agree with everyone else about the colors.
The knot holes a great touch.
Curt great job overall; well worth the wait.
Good Morning,
Thank you Ron, Jerry, Mike, Mark, Rick, and Larry for following along and your very kind words.
Mark they are indeed 1x12's. You have a good eye.
I have been continuing to work on the walls since the last update. I have more detail work to do on the side wall's before the walls get glued together.
20260719_101827.jpg
20260719_101757.jpg
20260719_101725.jpg
20260719_101608.jpg
Ah, that looks great Curt! 8)
Curt, the walls look great, you're making great progress.
Looking good Curt. I love those SWSM kits...nothing like them. They always rule the NNGC convention contest rooms (when it's not scratch).
Lookin' great, Curt
terry
Howdy Curt,
The stenciled sign looks great. The colors and assembly sure complement this model. Well done.
Have fun,
mike
Curt looking good and it's coming together nicely. SW kits rock!!
Curt, your walls look outstanding.
Curt,
Another excellent build from you. Nice work.
Rich
Following with interest! This is going to be great.
Afternoon,
Thank you Philip, Ron, John, Terry, Mike, Larry, Rick, Rich, and Yannis for following along and your kind words.
It's been a little over a month since the last update and although some 1:1 things popped up I have made steady progress on the warehouse, general office, and yardmaster office. The exterior stairs will be completed later. Next up is working on the docks.
20260823_113453.jpg
20260823_113509.jpg
20260823_113537.jpg
20260823_113422.jpg
Curt the building is looking very good. That seems to be a good sized building even for Ho scale.
Enjoy the rest of the build.
Howdy Curt,
The shipyard building looks great. Nice job on the tank and base. Looking forward to the dock and stairs.
Have fun,
mike
Curt outstanding work!!
Jerry
Cool build!~ 8)
An impressive structure with interesting lines. Nice work.
Jeff
Looking great, Curt.
Cheers, Mark.
Curt, I'm in awe of what you've built.
This looks exactly like it's supposed.
Bravo!
Wow! That's the best I can come up with. Wow!!! ;D
Looking great Curt. Very nice natural looking weathering.
The octagon top doors are really unusual and a great characteristic. Different than just having square or round tops.
Indeed looking great!!!! Thank you for the motivating update!
Curt,
Those shingles are tedious and look great, but to me are a PITA. Great work!
Rich
Afternoon All,
Thank you Larry, Mike, Jerry, Philip, Jeff, Mark, Rick, Bob, Rob, Yannis and Rich for following along and your kind words.
I've completed 4 docks except for final weathering and some construction to be done towards the end.
Next up is the large platform that the previously built structures will sit on.
20260828_151248.jpg
20260828_151345.jpg
20260828_151413.jpg
Curt nice work on the docks. The weathering should really make them look great.
Good luck with the NBW's; always fun....not.
Curt, good looking docks.
Hope the NBW's aren't too big of a pain.
Curt,
Your docks look mighty darn good. Nice work.
Rich
Great job Curt..... 8)
Afternoon All,
Thank you Larry, Rick, Rich, and Greg for following along and your kind words.
Since the last update I completed the main dock (legs added later) and a small shack that sits on the end of a previously built dock that will also have a small crane yet to be built.
Howdy Curt, your photos beginning on August 28th aren't showing in the thread. ~mike
Second attempt
20260901_110613.jpg
20260904_101910.jpg
20260905_095059.jpg
20260905_123148.jpg
Curt, great colors on the boards.
Barnacles and crud on the dock pilings look realistic.
I can all the pictures you've posted.
8) Looks great!
Curt great job on the docks! The coloring is really nice. Is the hole in the one dock for the crane?
I agree with Rick the barnacles on the dock legs looks real.
Curt, just catching up, those docks look great although I noticed you have a barnacle problem. :o The barnacles look great.
Looking great, Curt.
The colour and variations in the boards looks terrific. One thing to keep in mind moving forward is that all the board joins should be over the top of a joist below. If not, there is nothing to nail the decking boards to underneath and your foot would likely go straight through the deck if you stood in the wrong place.
Cheers, Mark.
Howdy Curt,
The decking looks outstanding. The NBWs and barnacles add a lot of character to the build. Nice work as usual.
Have fun,
mike
Curt...I have to say I think you're on way to taking several builds to next years exhibit room at the Narrow Gauge Convention.
Well done Butty
terry
Curt
Looks great, very nice work.
Curt,
Nice wood decks and coloring is top notch!
I agree, nice work.
Rich
Afternoon All,
Thank you Rick, Larry, Ron, Mark, Mike, Terry, John and Rich for following along and your kind comments.
Larry, yes the hole is for the crane.
Terry not quite butty.
Mark yeah, it was a case of trying to save strip wood. :-*
Since the last update I have applied a light sanding to the docks and applied a light coat of A&I which dulled down the "newness factor".
The other thing I have been working on is the saw shed. The instructions have a small cupola on top which I decided to not put on.
This was also the first time using etching fluid on the tin roof. Nasty stuff.
20260920_101956.jpg
20260920_110842.jpg
20260920_110830.jpg
20260920_111458.jpg
Curt, the etchant is very strong.
Your roof looks over cooked and looks like it was in a fire.
A very important step is after taking the panels out of the etchant to put them in water that has some baking soda in it to neutralize the etching.
Everything under the roof looks very good.
Curt great job on the saw shed and I agree with Rick the roof looks overdone.
Curt great job on the decks.
The roof looks a little bit to cooked like Rick said.
Jerry
Afternoon All,
Thanks for following along and your comments Rick, Larry and Jerry.
I actually looked at images of old tin roofs next to salt water and there are a few examples of what I did so that was my reasoning for the roofing.
Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 21, 2026, 12:07:31 PMAfternoon All,
Thanks for following along and your comments Rick, Larry and Jerry.
I actually looked at images of old tin roofs next to salt water and there are a few examples of what I did so that was my reasoning for the roofing.
Ahh. I stand corrected.
Morning All,
Initial layout of components on one of the foam bases. The yellowish brown items (3) are resin sea walls. I did not put the warehouse/office on for the photo to see where the platforms go.
20260923_110638.jpg
Curt that looks to be quite a large diorama. The areas that are NOT water going to be elevated at all?
Just curious.
That is definitely going to be a big diorama.
Nice to see it starting to come together.
Excellent work so far, many thanks for sharing.
Good Morning,
Thank you Larry, Rick, and Yannis for following along and your kind words.
The large platform at the top of the photo will be over water as will the bottom dock with the shed on it. It will also have a crane mounted on it.
The big gap with nothing in it is where the ship under construction will sit and the area will have an incline into the water.
The rest will be flat ground but I plan on seeing if I can make a small hill after I figure out roads and paths.
Anyway that's the plan.
Howdy Curt,
The layout of the scene looks good. I can't wait to see it all together. The remaining structures promise to be amazing.
Have fun,
mike
Curt your doing a wonderful job on this.
Really looking forward to the next update.
Jerry
Afternoon All,
Thank you for following along Mike and Jerry and for your kind comments.
This is a quick progress report. There is a lot to do yet on the boat. I just put the keel on the diorama to give an idea of what it will look like.
The only things permanently attached at this point are the seawalls and foundation of the warehouse.
20261003_105052.jpg
Curt your diorama is coming together nicely! Looking forward to seeing you progress.
Afternoon All,
Larry thanks for following along and your kind words.
Another short update. The ribs and cross beams have been added to the keel.
20261006_100057.jpg
20261006_100113.jpg
20261006_112014.jpg
Curt that is looking excellent!!!! Great job. You really need a kit with instructions to build even this much of a boat under construction. I tried to scratch build something similar and it was an utter disaster.
Great looking boat Curt. A lot of work doing all those ribs.
Being under construction will add a good back story.
Here's a Diorama that the late Laurie Green did of a boat building yard, with a boat under construction.
(https://modelersforum.com/gallery/1641-061026181610-58105628.jpeg)
Curt,
I agree with the others before me, you're doing a fine job of this diorama.
Makes me remember why I sold my kit years ago. It was because of putting together
that daunting ship under construction!
Rich
Howdy Curt, the boat is coming along nicely. I bet those ribs and cross beams were a bit fiddly to assemble. Great work. Have fun, mike
Looks good Curt.
Interesting that you stained the wood instead of leaving it raw.