I took down all my previous topics.. :o :o :o :o :o ......I sincerely felt like I was taking up valuable site space with topics that were constantly changing and seemingly going nowhere... :o :o :o .....I wanted to start fresh with a completely clean slate and not screw around with every new idea or possibility that wandered across my (by now) over exposed and weirded out brain (from 'traipsing' down every possible path I saw)... :o :o ??? ??? ...
Suffice to say, this topic is what happens when all the 'noise and chatter' is quieted down and rational thought can take root.... ;) ;) ;) .......
I've spent the last week discarding all the previous track plans and ideas, and have settled on a simple and workable plan that doesn't EXPAND, or TAKE OVER THE ROOM... :o ;D ;D .....it allows for John Allens' original 'twice around' concept, has a sector plate, a mining camp at a higher 7" elev. level, a mine at an 11" elev. level, a D&RGW intchg., 16" radius curves, each with a 6" or 9" long 18"radius easement, and MOST OF ALL almost all of the trackage is visible, save for one 18" tunnel, one 14" tunnel, and one 10" tunnel, all of which are 'clustered together' in the rear/center of the layout with my big arch rock formation in the center pointed towards the front of the layout...the 18" and 14" tunnels are parallel, and the 10" tunnel is in the same mountain but at an angle.....(see the plan below) ;D ;D ...the layout will be along the 10' wall and NO EXPANSION will be done, :o ??? ....my music mixing and recording 'studio' such as it is (pictures in the future) will be along the wall with the ANVIL CLOUD in the backdrop, and a desert diorama with abandoned trackage will be on a narrow shelf above the speakers and mixing gear... ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) to 'frame out' the bottom of the backdrop ;D ;D ;D ;) .........
This 'new' venture is called...THE I ME MINING RAILROAD & TRANSPORT Co......It mines the 'little known' mineral called "MYTHIUM"... ::) ::) ::) after it's extracted, it goes to Peau Dunque Jct. where it's heated; :o :o and the 'refined sludge' known as BS75 (75%BS) , and BS100 (100%BS) is shipped in tank cars to a local 'odor' distributor :o :o :o ::) ::) ;)..., sold, and then transported 'off layout' via the D & RGW - to a customer which processes it into a vapor (THAT SMELLS LIKE A HUGE FART) :o :o :o ::) ::) ;) ..and it is then sold to natural gas companies to be added to their gas pipelines so you can 'SMELL A LEAK" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;).....
The mine is named after a George Harrison song called "I ME MINE"..on the Let It Be album by The Beatles.... ;) ;) ...the main town is called Harrison...I'm keeping someone on the forums' idea and using the "PEAU DUNQUE" Jct. spelling for the other spot of note on the layout (where the 'sludge' is produced) ::) ::) ....I haven't come up with a name for the mining camp yet-maybe ya'll can help out... ;D ;D ;D ...
There will be 3 locomotives for power at any given time, a Bachmann 2-6-0, a BLI 2-8-0, and a Bachmann 2-6-2t...consists will be only 3 cars long, and an occasional combine will 'tag-along' ;D ;D ;D ...
I'm determined to keep things simple and work on some areas of the hobby I've not tried to do much with in the past,.....
1. Detailing structures-interiors and lights.
2. Explore building better bridges.
3. Explore some 'operations' of the RR....it is after all a mining RR.....
4. Try NOT to RUSH everything, step back and study each new idea a little before 'plowing ahead'....there is no
deadline for completion......
5. Don't get 'bogged down' in pointless questioning myself about each and every detail, just try it and see if
it works; if not - do something else.......
6. Have fun............. THIS IS A HOBBY....NOT A JOB............... >:( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
Here's the starting point.... the room, it's 11'-6" by 10'..... ;D ;D
The layout is in the upper rt. corner and is 6'-2" by 3'-4"...... ;)
The 'studio gear' is along the top 11'-6" wall......
017.JPG
This is the I ME MINING RAILROAD & TRANSPORT Co. .... :o :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)
the plan is turned 'sideways' in this shot, but it will be built as per the above floor plan.......
011.JPG
I hope this hasn't been too much trouble to follow;... all comments, suggestions, and input is much appreciated...
and thanx for the 'space on the forum'...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D............see ya..... 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Down at the bottom left corner: If you swap the 2 tracks and the structures, you can use the track facing the aisle as an interchange, with an easy reach to swap cars.
dave
Thanx Dave, ;D ;D ;D ...
I tried that approach, but there's no fitting the MYTHIUM/BS processing bldg. on the other track - plus I need 2 tracks; one for tank car/ore car holding, and the other for the processing bldg.....
So I put the D & RGW interchange track in Harrison. It comes off / shares the siding at the very bottom (as pictured above) of the layout in between the bridge support piers........right next to the fuel oil and water spout ......interchange cars will be spotted on the siding, awaiting pick up.... ;D ;D ;D ;) .....
Thanx again for the input, with a little more real estate it would work great up in Peau Dunque Jct. - alas- I've no more land...... :( :( :( :(...........
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle, glad to hear you've already thought about that.... A mistake I made with my track plan is not providing a good interchange point for the 0-5-0 switcher...
dave
Thanx Dave;.....
Hey fellas, I've begun the disassembly of the RR.... :o :( ...I'll post shots of the process later this week.... ;) ;) thanx to all the window shoppers and those that just peeked in for a second... ;D ;D ;D .... it's all appreciated...
Dave - I've been giving some serious thought to your comment/suggestion about the lower left corner ??? ??? ;) ;) ;) ...I think you're on to something....so I made some adjustments... :o :o I shortened the layout from 6'-2" by 3'-4" down to 6' even by only 3'-2".... ;D ;D ....
1. I moved the 'town' to the 'right side edge'..
2. I moved and "shrunk/simplified" the I ME MINE..
3. I swapped out the sector plate for a 12" TT-and located it where the town was..
4. I moved the small engine shed from the mining area to the TT area....
5. I relocated the MYTHIUM 'processing' plant from PEAU-DUNQUE JCT.; over to where the I ME MINE used to be..
6. I took your suggestion and now have not only the D&RGW interchange trackage up in PEAU-DUNQUE JCT....but...
7. I now also have the D&RGW running 'THROUGH THE LAYOUT' entering the lower left corner at PEAU-DUNQUE JCT. and
exiting in Harrison at the lower right corner, making the IMM & T a branch line off of the D&RGW; going from
Harrison, COUNTERCLOCKWISE up to PEAU DUNQUE JCT., then using the switchback to go CLOCKWISE to the
mine, and the processing plant......Through trackage right agreements, the IMM & T can use the D&RGW trackage
to (going COUNTERCLOCKWISE) get back down to Harrison; and leave the consist (2 tank cars full of 75 or
100%BS) for the D&RGW to pick up.The cars have to be weighed and inventoried at WINDBREAKER ODOR DISTRUBTION.
:o ;)...Loaded tank cars full of BS can also be spotted on the D&RGW trackage at PEAU-DUNQUE JCT. after they
are weighed and inventoried in Harrison at WINDBREAKER ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
8. I made a 'semi 3D' track plan to show the changes....hope it looks OK.... ;D ;D ;D .....
Thats all for now... thanx again for the suggestion DAVE, it worked much better for the overall layout.. - size, operational opportunities, and train watching.... ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) it don't get much better than that.... ;) ...thanx to everybody that comments, makes a suggestions, (or a Raspberry) :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ...or just looks in....it's always welcome and appreciated.....ya'll stay tuned......
Here we go..............the "semi 3D" 'experiment'....... :o :o ::) ::) ....
005.JPG
.......see ya....... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ..........
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Very glad you found that suggestion helpful!
dave
Thanx Dave, and a big 'ol thanx to everybody that stopped by to look in on the progress.... ;D ;D ;D ...
sorry there's not been much til now...... :o :o :o ;D ;)
Let the destruction begin, "And the removal of the old benchwork began"......
Phase 1............. ;D
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
Phase 2 in the next post.................... ;D ;D ;) ;) ...all for now.....see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Phase 2.... :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ..................
"Get that old crap outta here"... :o :o >:( >:( ;D ;D ;D .....
I was assisted by .........
My esteemed and wonderful helper....GAGE... MY BELOVED GRANDSON... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
Thanx for checkin' in, yall stay tuned............
Phase 3 to follow..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .....all for now......see ya......... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Well well well.... :o here we are at phase 3.... :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ....."Presto change-o"..... :o :o :o
Look Ma....NO BENCHWORK!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
006.JPG
007.JPG
All of this will come down in phase 4........stay tuned.................. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
008.JPG
Then we can start the new RR... The I Me Mining Railroad & Transport Co.
Thanx for grabbin' a glance at the project...I really appreciate it... ;D ;D ;D , ya'll are very inspirational; the comments, suggestions and interest is fuel for the fire...... ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ......
all for now ........see ya........... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ..........
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
It's cool to see the 'framing' of this, with backdrops and valence, before the scenery is too far along.
dave
I see Destructosaurus provided you with some help.
Definitely GORY but certainly UNdefeated
I thought you were kidding! Geeze Louise!
Thanx Dave, thanx Michael, thanx Karl, and thanx Phillip...also thanx to those that just popped in for a glance at the progress..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Today (Tuesday) I added some color to the trackage lines on the 'semi 3D' track plan that I posted earlier...Orange is the D & RGW, Purple is the I MMR & T Co. ,..the black lines are yard tracks and the green (kinda hard to distinguish from the black) are sidings.... ;D ;D ;D ......I also added some labeling to the features..... ;) ;) ;) ....
Here it is..............
003.JPG
I also decided to use the 15-1/2" TT I put so much work into 'customizing' instead of spending $100.00 or more on a 12" or 13" TT..... ;) ;) ;) Thanx again for stoppin by ;D ;D ....hope it looks OK....let the comments, suggestions and any other input begin.... ;D ;D ;D .....it's appreciated, inspirational and needed, .....all for now....see ya...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
I MMR & T Co.
Thanx to all the folks that grabbed a peep, ;D ;D ;D ;D , it's appreciated....
I've begun the phase 4 demolition :o :o ::) ;) .......
005.JPG003.JPG002.JPG
I'll be removing the last 2 sections in a little while ;D ;D ....break time right now though.... ;) ;) ...
all for now....."thanx again for checkin' in"......see ya.......... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Had lunch, ;D ;D, the 'prep work' is done, ;D ....nothing much left but wood... :o ;D ;D ;D
007.JPG
......BUT :o :o ....it's NAP TIME... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ..'see ya later alligator'..........'after while crocodile' ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) .............bye......... 8) 8)
Gage and I will take this down later this afternoon.......then all that's left is clean up..... :o :o ;) ......
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Howdy Kyle, looks like you are ready for a fresh start. Go for it and have fun. ~mike
Everyone needs a nap! ;D
Thanx Mike, and thanx Phillip - as well as the 'passers by'... ;D ;D ;D it's much appreciated.......... ;D ;D ;)
It's all over but the rest of the clean up... :o :o ...I swept the floor in between the bed and the desk / 5 drawer dresser... ;D ;D ;D so I wouldn't 'track' dirt and 'crud' all over the house.. ;D ;D ;D ...keeping Mama happy (keeps everybody happy).. :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ............
The almost 'blank canvas'... ::) ::) ;) .........
010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG
The desk / dresser area.............
009.JPG 008.JPG
This is how it looks from the entry..I measured it, and this wall is 10 feet across but it seems narrower.....
013.JPG
OK... I'm 'beat to a frazzle'... :o :o :o to quote my fraternal grand mother.... ;) ;) ;)..... it's 10:45PM ... and I'm gonna crawl into the sack and watch some model railroading video channels on YouTube on my TV with Roku... ;D ;D ;D ;D ....it's sooooo cooool..........all for now ...thanx again for checkin' things out....ya'll stay tuned......see ya............ 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ................
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle nice job on the demo now it's time to "have at it". Will be watching with interest; have fun.
Are we ready to start for real this time!! ;D
Looking forward to the new RR.
Jerry
Yipes!!!!!!!!!
Didn't realize that you were going to blow it all up. pngtree-3d-emoji-exploding-with-surprise-png-image_21054496.png Just found the thread. I will say there is nothing like a fresh start. I nice small railroad with an interesting track plan, this will be fun to watch. Looking forward to the new build.
Thanx Larry C*., thanx Jerry, and thanx Ron, also thanx to everyone that checked out the progress... ;D ;D ;D ...much appreciated....
Today I decided to take it a little easy, there's been lots done in the last 2 weeks :) ;) ......
I re-examined all the measurements, and found a few extra bits of floor space;.... If I slide the RR layout down to the opposite corner (from left to right when facing the 10' wall - top to bottom in this drawing)... :o :o :o ....The bed sticks out 38" from the wall its' on ...and the desk/dresser is only 20" out from the wall it's on; opposite the bed... :o :o ...so if I move it, that's 18" more open area around the end of the layout diagonally to the desk; :o :o because the layout will be an additional 18" further away from the nearest piece of furniture.....the desk/dresser... ;D ;D ;) ;) .....so I also moved/rotated the PEAU-DUNQUE JCT.'bump-out' to the top right corner against the 10' wall/backdrop so it isn't sticking out into the middle of the room (where it would have been) :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) .....
A picture's worth a thousand words........
The blue outline is the new location, the yellow outline is the old location; the red arrow denotes the distance from the layout to the desk corner, in the new location.....the green arrow shows the distance from the layout to the corner of the bed, in the old location.....The square/dashed line box is a possible chair location......also the small (dashed-line) vertical rectangular box under the top right corner portion of the layout is a 2 drawer (short) file cabinet, the other square under the layout is another chair, and the other (vertical) rectangle is a 4 drawer(short) dresser for RR supplies.......the other rectangle (horizontal) that kinda 'crosses it' is a possible pullout shelf....but I ditched that idea in favor of the short dresser......;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
006.JPG
Here's the modified PEAU-DUNQUE JCT. 'bumpout' in its' new location at the top right corner of track plan...........
003.JPG
Hope it all makes sense.... :o ;D ;) ;) ...thanx again for all the input an suggestions.....see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Hi fellas... ;D ;D ;D it's Sunday and I spent last night working on setting up my music recording, mixing, and mastering equipment... :o ;) ;) ;) ....I still need a couple of adapters and some cables in order to do any real creating, recording or editing, but at least I know it all works and fits like I'd planned... ;) ;) ....The next step towards the start of construction is to move the large book case that's on its' side in front of the windows, into the garage...then clean up the whole area and go purchase the pink foam board(s) that'll be the base of the layout.....I'm going to use either three - 1"x4'x8' pieces, or one 1"x4'x8'and one 2"x4'x8' which ever is cheaper, in order to have a 3" base to work with.... ;D ;D ;D .....
Here's the "studio" portion of the room...... ;D ;D ...........
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
Here's the 'soon to be gone' book case...............
006.JPG
That's all for now........thanx again for stoppin by...stay tuned...see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLECREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle looks like you're making progress. Good luck with the foam purchase.
Exciting things going on there, Kyle! I always make sure I tune in periodically.
Mike
I'd suggest getting all one inch thick pieces, as the two inch are harder to cut, whether using a knife or a hot wire.
Jeff
Thanx Larry C*., thanx Michael, and thanx Jeff....also thanx to the ones that wandered in to catch a peek at the plan.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've decided to not move the 'sideways bookcase' into the garage....it would just add more 'clutter gathering' options out there :o ;) ;) ;) ;) ...besides - I can use it where it is, but slide it down a bit towards the right side of the floorplan...and use it for 'tucked away' storage (indoor clutter grabber) under the layout :o ;D ;D ;D ......
I should be getting the 4x8 x 2" pink foam sheet next week....I'm only gonna really need one for the base, since it'll be sitting on a light weight bench work frame (1x3's) and there will be no (or extremely little) plaster used... ;D ;D ;D , so the weight won't really be a factor... ;D ;D ;) .....and there will be limited 'carving of terrain' ;D so 2" should be sufficient for my needs... ;D ;D ;) ......all the scenery and rockwork will be carved from the 1" and 2" pink foam that I saved from the old layout ;D ;D ;D ....
I adjusted the track plan a smidge to insure there will be no "unwarranted or unneeded expansion".. >:( ::) ;D ;) ...I'm determind to keep this layout small and 'under control >:( ;) ....(for the time being) I even cut down the piece of 'real estate' that is on the left hand side (if facing the layout) at Peau-Dunque Jct. to get off to a 'clean start' ;D ;D ;) ....I may widen it out at the top, (and narrow it to its' current size coming down to the corner) by about 6".....but that's all >:( >:( >:( ;D ;) .........I also moved the Phartz & Schmelling Odorizer Production (BS) facility to the center on the upper level (6-1/2" elevation) and moved the TT over to the right side of the engine facilities, the ARCH rock formation is now in the left center next to the PHARTZ & SCHMELLING Co....and almost everything else is in about the same location... ;D ;D ;D ....
Since I'll have a strip that's 10" wide by 8' long after cutting the 4x8 sheet down to 6' by 38" ...I'm going to turn it vertically onto its' 2" side, and have the 10" height to carve rockwork into and attach it to the backdrop as a 2" buffer or border that fits between the wall and the edge of the layout and blends them together without making the layout 2" wider... :o ...I'm serious about the 38" width, it can't come any further out into the room than 40" from the wall, this way if I ever have to move, the layout itself is still only 38" wide by 6' long... ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ....here it is.........
Whadda ya think ?......
006.JPG
ALL comments, suggestions, jeers, hoots and raspberries, along with any and all inspirational, corrective, creative or flatulent :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D offerings are encouraged and appreciated... ;) ;) ;)
Thanx again for stoppin' by and ya'll keep those cards 'n letters coming....have a great day.....see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle nice to see an actual start is on tap shortly. Nutt'in wrong with keeping it small and manageable; plus it "won't beak the bank." Have fun and enjoy.
Moving forward & plenty of room!
Howdy fellas... ;D ;D
Thanx Larry C*., thanx Phillip, and thanx to all those that grabbed a quick glance at the IMMR & T Co..... ;)
After looking at the budget for the rest of the month, (we're on a fixed income)...the repairs to the kitchen, (new disposal and faucet plus instalation/labor) and Gages' eye Dr. appt. along with new lenses and 2 pair (one for backup) of frames shot a hole of right at $1000.00 in the 'discretionary' funds... :o :o :o :o ::) ::) oh well these things happen, so no pink foam till the first of the month.... >:( >:( ...but I've got stuff to still clean up and prep ....so the project isn't on hold ... it's priorities have changed a little.... ;D ;D ;D I can deal with that... ;) ;) ;) besides; living without a disposal and next to no water pressure (bad faucet) was driving all 3 of us bonkers :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( .....so you do what ya gotta....and Gage is thrilled to have new glasses...it's been 16 yrs.. :o :o :o :o poor kid....he's so glad to be able to see again.... ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) .....
Here's the little schematic map I did of the IMMR & T showing the interface/interchange with the D&RGW...the one on the track plan is probably a bit small..
004.JPG
This all happened because the D&RGW needed to get up a very steep mountain; :o :o ... and so when the IMMR & T Co. was formed...to get at the MYTHIUM / BS :o ;D ;D ;D ...a deal was made .... ;D ;D ::) ::) ...the IMMR & T would build the bridge at Harrison, and the D&RGW and the IMMR & T would split the more expensive costs of the tunnels ....one for the D&RGW 'loop'60%...and the other for the IMMR &T switchback 40%... :o :o ;D ;D ;) ...the D&RGW would also get a 'break' on the price of the BS that that it purchased from the IMMR & T;....If the D&RGW had used their heads, they could've made off with a small piece of the profits to offset the 60% cost of the tunnels..... :o :o :o but that's why they went under ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ........."A fool and his money"......... :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;) .............
The IMMR & T / D&RGW interface/interchange is actually very similar to the Georgetown Loop RR; we just added a sort of 'switchback' so a train can come down from the mine going forwards and after clearing the D&RGW cutoff begin backing down, taking the IMMR & T back down to the yard at Harrison; and the D&RGW can go up or down it's main line at the same time without any interference... so, the IMM & T is basically a switchback operation that after connecting to the D&RGW interchange, completes a 'continous' loop... :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) ...is that as confusing as it sounds ?...... :o :o :o :o ......
Oh well all for now.....stay tuned and thanx again for stoppin' by......see ya...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR &T Co.
Kyle it's good to see someone putting family and household first. As much as I like modeling it's still at its core a hobby, and should be treated as such. Kudos to you for getting it right!!
Thanx sooooo much Lary C*.,.....
It's nice to feel like I did something right; I know there shouldn't be any question about the 'order of the priorities',... ;D ;D .....but sometimes it's still a good feeling when someone else notices, :) THANK YOU ;D ;D ;) ..........................................
I called this afternoon to see how long it would be before Gages' glasses came in ??? ::) We ordered them last Friday about noon....from the the Vision Center in Walmart ...we also did the eye exam at the Optometrist in the Walmart....they said it would be about 5-10 business days so we had them put a rush on it (at no extra charge)..... ;D ;D ;D
I took Gage to pick up his glasses this evening THURSDAY @(6:00PM) he is beside himself with joy at being able to see again.....
:o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) .....he says "Everything's in H.D." :o :o :o :o ;) ;) ;) ......
Here's the before and after......
001.JPG
004.JPG
I love him so much; it just makes my heart soar forever.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanx again for all the input and comments fellas, and to you Larry C*. - a special thanx for 'speaking' the words you typed above............ ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ..........all for now.............stay tuned............see ya................. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
They look good.
Mine is 240p..... ;D
Now he will pick your models apart! ;)
Thanx Michael, thanx Phillip; and thanx to all the ones that grabbed a look at the stuff I posted....oh ...GAGE said thanx also...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It looks like I'm gonna pick up the 4x8x2 pink foam sheet this week :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ...probably Saturday.... ;) ...I made a few modifications on the plan in order to make the loops a smidge :o bigger....I also switched the location of the spur up to Phartz & Schmelling with the IMMR & T Co. main on the left side of the layout; instead of it being on the far left of the layout; that way the overall look of the terrain doesn't look so much like a "bowl"... :o ;D ...now the spur to P & S (which is the highest in elevation @ 6-1/2") is in the 'middle of the layout... ;D ;D ;).....the slightly larger (in length not width) loops also make for a little bit longer transit around the layout ;D ;D ;) and since I didn't increase the width, their radii remain the same as does the width(depth) of the layout....72" x 38"..... ;) :) ;) .....have a look.................
006.JPG
of course this meant getting rid of 'the town' of Harrison.. :o :( >:( ...at least most of it that was on the layout...the depot, a bar, and the Windbreaker Distribution Co. are still on the layout; and only the engine facilities and TOOTER PHUCKNUTTS' TRACTOR REPAIR are left in Harrison.... ??? ::) all the rest of the "town" is 'off stage'.........ohh well sacrifices must be made..... >:( ;) .....I ain't makin the layout any larger..... ;)...I hope the track plan makes sense.... :o ....thanx again for the kind words about Gages' 'new specs', and for stoppin' by to look in on the project......let the foam start flyin' all for now...................see ya......... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle good luck with the new Adventure and just "think pink."
Thanx Larry C*. - and all the folks that looked in on the 'planning progress'.... :o :o ...I know it's not construction time yet (this Saturday) .. ;D ;D ;D ...but I've been trying to make sure that (as much as is possible) I haven't overlooked anything that would bite me in the ass later :o :o >:( ;) "Oh I should've or could've done this" ....here goes.......
I modified the plan a smidge more....I decided that since the 2"thick x 10"tall x 8'long scenery/backdrop blend idea could better be done by just increasing the 'layout width' to 40" from 38" :o :o ...since the front edge would be 40" from the wall anyway... ;D ;) ;) ...this way the 'footprint' on the available floorspace would be the same, and I could use the extra 2" to add a siding, a small depot, water tank, and freight office against the backdrop... ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ...(like John Allen did) only I'll call the place ..GEORGE ;D ;D ;) ....I've decided to go to a 12-13 inch TT; as it allows for more room in HARRISON, and all my locomotives will fit on it.......
I also shifted the loops of track to completely get rid of the 'bowl effect/look' .. :o :o.. I was able to do this by finding the exact spot where the 2 loops of track are at the exact same 2" elevation on the back side-(in the tunnels)-, and 'stretch out' that track elevation far enough in length to allow for a 12 degree crossing. Now each loop has a 16" radius at one end and an 18" radius at the other; :o :o with an 18" easement into the 16" radius curves...instead of the inner loop having 16" radius curves at each end with 18" easements ;D ;D .......this also gets rid of the "I know which tunnel it's comming out of" syndrome at first glance... :o :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) ...AND creates more of a 'climbing' the mountainside effect instead of the 'bowl' effect ... ;)
I also curved the ends of the D&RGW track leading off the layout at GEORGE (top) and HARRISON (bottom), so as to make the whole thing look like a way for the D&RGW to 'gain elevation' like the Georgetown Loop, when going south to north, or north to south..... ;D ;D ....the track plan also shows an 'imaginary' or 'off layout' WYE at PEAU-DUNQUE JCT. ..so a southbound train entering the scene at GEORGE that needs to go west at PEAU-DUNQUE JCT. can go around the descending loop to the 'in bridge' turnout (above HARRISON); then back into PEAU-DUNQUE JCT...and use the WYE to turn the train so as to continue on ...now going west to "wherever".... :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)
The "overall" dimensions remain the same, when including the 'replacement/redesign' of the 2"x10"x8' vertical scenery "blending strip" in the footprint... ;D ;D ;D ;); this also slightly lengthens both loops which provides for a little bit longer 'run time' to complete a full circuit of the "continous running" mode of the layout; and there's still switching at the various industries... ;D ... for instance, from the I ME MINE, over to the PHARTZ & SCHMELLING plant, then down to the WINDBREAKER DISTRIBUTION bldg., or up to GEORGE to pick up or drop off at the freight siding.... :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ..."Loads of FUN and ACTION kids, so get one TODAY"........remember those TV adds in the 60s' :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ........
Here it is..................
003.JPG
....and in color........Orange is D&RGW;..Blue is IMMR & T;..and Yellow is sidings etc......
007.JPG
I really like the way the plan has evolved,..SATURDAY WE BEGIN :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)
thanx again for stoppin' by.......all for now..........see ya........ 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle better to plan the work now so you can work the plan Saturday. "May the foam be with you."
Kyle,
Nice plan.
Mike
Thanx Larry C*., thanx Michael, and to all the ones that checked in...thanx to ya'll also ;D ;D ;D ......
AND THEIR OFF...... :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;)
Mark and I cut the foam sheet down to size and shape today (Sunday) :o :o ;D ;D ....then I drew in all the trackwork, black for the ground level, and red for the elevated portions....I know........... we should've used the other side :o :o :o ::) ??? oh well........"Never mind the mules, just load the wagon".....John Madden.......
Here's today's progress............
front side.................
001.JPG
this end goes against the wall............
003.JPG
this corner goes in the corner ;D ;D
006.JPG
this SIDE (long dimension) is the back of the layout against the window wall that's covered by the backdrop
008.JPG
this is the location in the room; but it'll be pushed back against the wall, and will be about a foot higher up........ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
011.JPG
Thanx again for stoppin' by..... ;D ;D ;D ....all for now.....drop by anytime......see ya... 8) 8) 8) 8)
LYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle great start!! Looking forward to seeing this come together. I assume you still have to build the benchwork to support the foam so it's up where it belongs? Have fun and enjoy.
Thanx Larry C*., I saved the benchwork from the apartment layout I built back in 2023 for the NMRA National Convention here in DFW.... ;D ;D ;) ....thanx also to the 'eyeballers' for dropping by......
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Well...I got the thing up on the 'benchwork' :o ;D ;D ;) ...I think I might like the height; although I need a while to process it in my feeble old noggin ;D ;D ::) ::) ......It'll also depends somewhat on how the scenery blends into the backdrop and at what point it's too tall to be 'feasible' and look natural ... >:( ;D ;) ;) ...Dave Meeks says "Sometimes scenery looks better when it's 'good enough' instead of perfectly realistic;... :o at that point 'perfectly realistic' can start to detract from other 'highlights' or other things that could be 'more interesting' if not 'overshadowed' by a 'way too dominating' piece of scenery"...... ??? :o ;D ;) ;) ...and I totally agree. ;) Scenery and backdrops are one of my favorite parts of the hobby, and should be done with an eye on the 'overall' presentation and should blend together seamlessly in away that 'completes the scene' and doesn't detract from the rest of the layout... ;D ;D ;D ;) ....I'm really anxious to get started.... ;) ;) ;) ....
Here's what I've got so far....just some tidbits of scenery to get a 'feel' for how things 'ought to fit together; ;D ;D the only bits of scenery pictured that'll actually be on this portion of the layout are the ARCH ROCK formation in the center, and the small bit of rocky pines immediately behind it against the wall, the larger section of 'rocky pines' on the left end of the layout are from the old corner scene and will be put back there in its' OWN DIORAMA :o :o ;) ;) ................
001.JPG
008.JPG
004.JPG
Whadda ya think ? :o ;D ;) ;) ;) thanx for checkin' things out, and ya'll keep those cards n' letters comin'...all for now.....see ya..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
I can see where you're going with this, :o , but I don't have the fore-site you do, Kyle. Go for it!
Thanx Karl, and a big 'ol howdy and a hat fulla thanx to the ones that 'keep-a-peekin' in'.... ;D ;D ;D hope the slow progress doesn't get on your last nerve, (as the wife says) :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ......
OK here's an update :o ;D ...today (Thursday) I begn work in earnest on the scenery :o :o whaaat? :o :o :o ....yes; I like to get some of the scenery in place before I lay the track, after all that's how it is in the "prototype" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .....it helps me to maintain a better 'visual guide' to clearances and to "overall concept viability" :o ;D ;D ;D How's that for a 'fifty cent word'? ......I just have always done it this way.....so what the heck...........
Here's what we got so far..... :o :o :o ;D ;D .....I did the best I could with 'salvaged materials'.. ;D ;D
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
.....only the inclines and declines are glued in place, along with the pink foam 'crossover' section.....I'll start gluing down the pink foam 'scenery layers' in a day or so.... there's still two more sections (one of incline and riser, one of just riser) to go but, my back says..."What the F&%K are you trying to do to me? :o >:( >:( >:( ......so I gotta take a break..... ;D ;) ;) hope it looks OK.....thanx again for stoppin by and all the comments and suggestions are certainly appreciated .....
All for now ......see ya....... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR &T Co.
Looks good, I'm enjoying the play by play...can't find that juicy 2" foam in Florida. Those Woodland Scenics track supports really look like a good way to support tracks with multiple levels on a modest-sized layout.
John
Howdy Kyle,
It's looking good. Hope you are having fun as the plan comes together.
Have fun,
mike
Kyle looks like you're off to a great start. Will be following along
to see how you progress.
8) Pink is good!
Thanx John, thanx Michael, thanx Larry C*, thanx Phillip - and a big 'ol thanx to those that just cruised by for a look-see.... ;D ;D ;D ;) ....
Well it's Friday and I did some more work on the project... ;D ;D .....we had a major 1:1 issue last week or should I say for 9 days ....from the 9th thru the 18th....we had a major sewer line 'malfunction'.. :o :o ??? ??? ::) :-[ :( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ....Sunday the 9th, I paid a company $275.00 to unclog the line.....he couldn't get it to 'work'; said he believes it is a broken and misaligned pipe :o :o :o and it would cost $6875.00 to replace it or about $3500.00 to trace down the 'break' and do a 'spot fix' :o, which is cutting out the fractured section and replacing it with a new section...and he would come back on the 10th to try one more time to 'unclog' it :o >:( >:( >:( >:( no luck .....so I called my nephew TRAVIS who "knows people" and he fixed us up with a 40-ish man and his crew... :o ..they couldn't get there for a few days, but came out Wednesday the 12th; looked at the situation, and said we'll be back Saturday the 15th and if it's a broken pipe we can fix it for about $1800.00 and "you can pay me over 90 days, 'cause your nephew and I have some 'business deals' going on together" :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D OK GREAT - .....My nephew (Travis) owns a pawn shop and he buys 'n sells a lot of gold and other jewlery... :o :o :o...... The contractors' name is Moses (really, I'm not making this up) and he is a wonderfull guy (40ish) with a 2 man crew that wound up doing all the hard stuff....that was on Wednesday the 12th; he had a job to finish by Friday the 14th and would call me that night...that next day - Saturday morning he took a fall off a 15ft. tall ladder on a job, and spent a night in the hospital... :o :o He called me and said he was sorry for the delay, and that his crew would be out on Monday the 17th; and sure enough his crew came back on Monday the 17th and traced the pipe to the main connection with the city sewer... :o :o :o NO BREAK OR MISALIGNMENT... ??? :o ::) ...just a good solid heavy duty 6" PVC pipe all the way to the curb, where it connects to the city main sewer line;.... :o ;D ;D ;D ;D he ran a camera through the line, then 'power flushed it' to clear out the clog, ran all our faucetts, tubs, and toilets to check for leaks, and when he was satisfied it was 'all good' they put back all the grass and dirt....and charged me only $500.00 :o :o :o.....$500.00... :o :o ;D ;D ;D he owns a constuction and renovation company.....what a break......"God helps them that helps themselves"....(my dad always said); wow what a blessing... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) .....
So now I'm able to get back to the RR.......I put in some more of the ramps and some of the scenery elevations.... ;D ;D ...and now I'm tired...I can't go all day and night like I used to.... :( :( ;) ...anyways..here's some shots of the progress.......hope they look OK..........
From the door way.........
007.JPG
a little bit closer..........
008.JPG
This is the end I worked on today.........
002.JPG
004.JPG
This in place just to check height and 'facing angle'......
010.JPG
I think it's coming along nicely; slowly but nicely just the same.... :o ;D ;) ....ya'll come back now anytime...th' door's always open......all for now....see ya..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Howdy Kyle,
That's terrific news about the sewer. Whew! Now you can get back to the fun layout with no monkey on your back.
Have fun,
mike
Someone is watching over you! Praise the Lord!
Philip
P.S. Why do they call 1st bidders con tractors.....7k is insane.
Phillip - because it's the same reason that Doctors and Lawers are PRACTICING medicine, and PRACTICING law... :o :o >:( >:( ...it's all just an EDUCATED guess, a very expensive EDUCATED guess....but a shot in the dark none the less .... ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) That's what my dad always said when my mom would ask "Why don't you just go to the doctor Compton?"........."'cause their just PRACTING medicine honey; I'll go when he figures it out and gets it right..... ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ..........thank you"..........................................
Kyle that sewer situation, and the way it turned out, is a blessing and a half for sure. The construction is coming along nicely so enjoy the ride.
Kyle, that's a great story! Glad it worked out for you. You'll need to name something on the railroad after that crew ;D
dave
Thanx Mike, thanx Phillip, thanx Larry C*., and thanx Dave - also the window shoppers....thanx ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ......
Well I got back to work on the project yesterday (Saturday) and got almost all the rough 'land forms' in position on the PEAU-DUNQUE JCT. end of the layout (the left hand side looking at it from the front) ;D ;D ...I'm gonna glue 'em down and start on the back side and the other end this afternoon (Sunday).... ;D ;D ....hopefully I'll be able to start adding the paper towel/plaster to the road bed and some of the scenery later this week ;D ;D ... There's NO plaster on the rock formation in the center of the layout, :o ..it's only carved and then painted pink foam; with washes added after it dried for 24 hours.... ;D ;D ;D I really like the way it turned out...plus it's extremly light weight ;) ;) ;D ;D ...I'll just try it out and see if I can replicate the results.... :o ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ......
Here's what I'm talking about.........NO PLASTER....... ;D ;D ;D ;D
004.JPG
....the rest of the land forms...............
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
Hope the shots look OK, ;D.....thanx again for keepin' tabs on the project....all the comments and suggestions are a real inspiration and appreciated so very much..... ;D ;D ;D ....it helps immensely with the focus and direction :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ......ya'll stay tuned......all for now.....see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ..
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Howdy Kyle,
It's coming together. Looking forward to the plaster cloth...
Have fun,
mike
Thanx Mike, and thanx to the "passers by" that grabbed a quick look at the project ;D ;D ;D ....all are appreciated and most welcome.... ;) ...
I worked on the 'back side' of the layout today (Thursday) and yesterday ;D ;D .....I got the land forms cut and shaped into their 'rough configurations' so as to check for fit and clearances, mocked it up and I'll start gluing them in place on Friday ;D ;D ;) ....next I think I'm gonna start work on the big 'main land form' in the middle of the layout; I think I'm pretty happy with the elevation of the big 'finished rock formation' (with the small arch) that sits atop the 'thing' and so it's getting to be time to glue it (the pink foam) in place so I can start 'carving away'... :o ;D ;) ;) ......
Here's what we got so far........the 'back side'..........
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
Hope they came out looking OK.... ;D ...I kinda like the way it's coming into 'focus'... ;D ;) ...thanx again for stoppin' by and for any and all comments , suggestions, or questions, raspberries, 'tounge wagging' etc. :o ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) .....all for now, ya'll come on by anytime.....see ya...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ....
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Very interesting elevation changes! Your making it un-boring! ;D
Thanx Phillip, and to all those that opened the posting for a look around... :o ;D thanx to ya'll too..... ;) ;)
Well I got busy this morning (Monday) doing a little more 'rough - in' carving and went back over the measurements to correct the width of the main rock formation...it was way too wide.. :o >:( ...so I carved it back on the right side (if you're facing the layout) and worked a little on the left side as well....although not much came off that area in the way of width, it was more 'shaping' ;D ;D ;) ....The reason for all this 'modification', was in order to start laying out the track work, the open area needed to be a certain 'minimum size' width ;D ... the depth (front to back) was OK but I had to take off about 5-1/2 inches from the centerpiece rock formation..:o ...I decided to go ahead and use the 15-1/2 inch TT that I had; the one I put so much work into 'scratch-bashing' instead of buying a 12-1/2 inch TT... ;D ;D ...and luckily I had left enough 'room' in the scale track plan for such an eventuality ;D ;D ;D ;) ...and by 'shifting' some track a bit, I was able to add a siding.. ;)...so now it's back to gluing and then more carving... ;D ...OH YEAUGH, I almost forgot...the TT fit just fine ..and it looks like all the structures will have enough room....and so the plaster 'paper towels' on the risers can begin as soon as the gluing and carving is done..... ;D ...I'd like to finish that by this weekend if possible...... ;D ;D ;D ;) thanx again for stoppin' by......
Here's what I've done so far.....................
I like the way the TT fits in ......
010.JPG
....all the other bldgs.(L.C.*) ;) also fit in just fine..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
012.JPG
011.JPG
Bubbles likes the progress :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ...........
015.JPG
An overall view......................
014.JPG
That's all for now,...hope ya'll like the progress....I'm not able to 'GO AT IT' like I used to.. :o >:( ;D ;D ....but I'll just keep "pluggin' away", and it'll move right on down the road..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) .......ya'll stop by anytime.... ;D ;D .....see ya...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle don't feel bad....I don't think any of us can work the way we used to.
Nice progress but you gots some foam carving coming up. Looking good so far
and nice to see the buildings fit in your space.
Thanx Larry C*.....and thanx to anybody that popped in while I was away :o :o :o :o :o .................
INSTALLING THE TURNTABLE. :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ....the little voice in my old and decrepit noggin ::) :o just wouldn't let 'it' go :o ;D >:( ;D >:( ;D >:( .....so... :o :o "I grabbed my knife and I did it" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ..."That's my story your honour, and I'm stickin' to it.." ;) ;) ;) ........here'it is....................
016.JPG
017.JPG
019.JPG
021.JPG
How's it look??...I know it's not completely leveled....I always install a half of a strip of cork roadbed around the edge under the lip of the TT in order to match the height of the entry/exit track and the whisker tracks...... ;) ...it always works extremely well with this TT....so there it is........Thanx again for stoppin' in....."ya'll sit a spell next time", "and we'll visit proper"... ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;) ;).....all for now .....see ya..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) .................
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Great work on the layout.
Howdy Kyle,
The layout is coming along nicely. The TT install was a success and looks perfectly placed. Great work.
If you are like me, mornings are good; the afternoons are nap time. Persist!
Have fun,
mike
Thanx Curt, and thanx Mike.. ;D ;D ..also a big ol' thanx to the ones that wandered in for a look around...welcome... ;) ;)
Today (Wednesday) I got back to work on gluing and shaping more pink foam...this time I worked on the 2 tracks on the left side (facing the layout) that connect to the 2 tracks on the right side of the layout; I needed to get the pink foam (soon to be rockwork) glued in and checked for clearances around the incline / decline ramps ;D ;D ....I also decided not to continue the trackage that was to have gone across the back of the layout above everything and (NOT) continue off the layout via a tunnel... :o :o :o this was also the trackage that serviced the I ME MINE in the little town of GEORGE... :o ....Instead ...I decided that it was going to be a royal pain in the ass to switch (too far to reach easily) without moving the layout out from the wall on that end... >:( >:( >:( >:( and I just wasn't going to F%#k around with it.... >:( >:( >:( :o :o .....so I decided to move the mine over to the left side near the PHARTZ & SCHMELLING BS processing plant... ;D ;D ::) ::) .....now I'll just have a gravel & dirt road that connects PEAU - DUNQUE Jct. to GEORGE, I decided to include a very short length of std. gauge track at GEORGE as an interchange via the road to PEAU - DUNQUE Jct.... :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) I really like this arrangement a lot better... ;D ;D ;D I'll just change out std. gauge locomotives and rolling stock (since it's not LIVE track) from time to time, and it'll be very cool 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ....... I think John Allen would have approved... ;) ;) Next I positioned (mocked up) more track in some strategic locations like the long bridge through HARRISON and a little bit around one of the inclines.... ;D ;D ;) ;) ....this helps keep me on track.... ;)
....Here's how it came out...............the rock formations with the pine trees aren't going to be located where they're pictured in these shots... ;D ;D ;D ........
006.JPG
003.JPG
the red arrow denotes the end of the trackage to the I ME MINE.......... ;)
007.JPG
this is where the 'long bridge' will go.... ;D ;D
004.JPG
And here's the revised track plan or "FIELD ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS".. :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Orange is D&RGW, Black is IMMR & T Co. main line, Blue is IMMR & T Co. spurs, Yellow is IMMR & T Co. yard tracks, Green is the Std. Gauge trackage.......... ;D ;D ;D ;D
017.JPG
I hope it makes some sense.. :o :o ...I know I was "mucho plenty - heap big" tired when I finished...... :o :o ::) ;) .....that's about all for now, thanx again for keepin' tabs on the project; ;) ;) ;) it's much appreciated as are always the comments, suggestions, critiques, raspberries, farts, belches and all manner of FUN COMMUNICATION :( :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)...." Baby let your mind roll on".......(The Rooftop Singers, 1963)... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..............see ya......... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ........
KYLE CREEL
IMMR &T Co.
Kyle looks like you've been up to your "eyeballs" with the slicing & dicing of foam. Nice to see
someone else using skewers and/or toothpicks to anchor foam in place. Smart move making the
layout easier to work on; sometimes "less is more". I assume the layout will be lifted at some point to meet your backdrop? Have fun!!
Kyle, I was looking at the backdrop, if you can extend it down to the layout I think it would look like the layout was in a deep canyon. Just a thought.
Hellow again fellas.... ;D ;D ;D ..thanx Larry C*., and thanx Curt, and as always thanx to the 'browsers'... ;D ;D
Today (Thursday) I continued on the left side of the layout... :D :D ...I got the 2 interior tunnel separation walls that will butt up to the portals done ;D ;D ...and I finished building up and gluing the base for the "ARCH ROCK FORMATION" although I didn't glue down the last part (the part that forms the 'ceiling' of the tunnels) a 1" thick piece of pink foam that the "ARCH" will sit on nor, did I glue down the "ARCH"... ;D ;D ;D ....that'll come later... ;) ;)
I regards to ya'lls questions/comments/suggestions...Yes, Larry C*. the layout will come up about one or two inches when Gage and I mount the wheels, skewers are definitely the way to go.. ;D ;D ;) ;) ....Carl, thanx for the suggestion, the scenery will come up and the backdrop will get some more work done along the lower portion, which I never finished while I was building the previous layout. ;D ;D ;) ...also..now that I have some of the scenery started, I know a whole lot more about what I want to do... ;D ;D ;) ;) .....thanx again for the interest....
Here's what happened today.......the black portion of a structure is where the MYTHIUM mine wil be..... :o ...I had to move it because of space requirements and clearance for the road to GEORGE... :o ...I'll use the old incline as the road since the trackage won't be going around to the old location (as of yesterday) of the mine.... ;) ;) I also had to move the PHARTZ & SCHMELLING BS production plant over where the SCAVENGER INC. yard was in HARRISON, :o :o ...AND moved SCAVENGER INC. up to PEAU-DUNQUE Jct. next to the new 'pink foam depot' I carved today :o :o :o ;D ;D , no worries; everybody got FULL MARKET VALUE FOR THEIR PROPERTIES, and moving expenses and demolition/construction costs were also covered....NO TAX ABATEMENTS though.. :o :o >:( >:( >:( ;) ;)....I gotta make a few coins also.. :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) .......
The overall view.....
008.JPG
Here's PEAU-DUNQUE Jct.,..the Red arrow points to the location of the mine structure...the vacant incline will be the road to GEORGE...
003.JPG
Here's the 'pink foam' depot (blue arrow), and the new spot for SCAVENGER INC.(green arrow)......
004.JPG
This is now the BS production plant ....PHARTZ & SCHMELLING.... :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D the Black arrows show the boundry for the scenery/backdrop...the Orange arrow shows the BS plant :o :o :o :( ;D ;D ;D ;D
006.JPG
Here's some of the carnage from the pink foam 'operation'... :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ....
001.JPG
....and I found some of my 'pre-fab hand laid track'...-on the left.. HO flex track on the right............
002.JPG
That's about it for today.....thanx again for stoppin' by.....ya'll stay tuned..... ;D ;D ;D ....see ya..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
That looks like the Hogwarts Wizarding Hat on top of the styrofoam. ;D
dave
Quote from: deemery on September 03, 2026, 08:07:30 PMThat looks like the Hogwarts Wizarding Hat on top of the styrofoam. ;D
dave
The what ??? :o :o :o :o ??????? Hogworts what ?..... :o :o :o ???....I only ever saw the first movie; and only once....I've not ever followed the Harry Porter story......but thanx just the same......glad you like it....it looks alot different from the side............007.JPG
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle that's coming along very nicely. You sure know how to stack foam; have fun.
Thanx Larry C*.,...and also thanx to Dave from yesterday-and anyone else that came by and looked in... ;D ;D ;D
Tell Robert Plant (Led Zepplin) that I found that "Confounded Bridge"- :o :o :o he was so earnestly looking for....from the song 'The Crunge'...... off of the 1973 album 'Houses of the Holy ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;) ;) ......it's right here003.JPG004.JPG
It's in pieces but 'fixable'...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ....I'll scavenge parts to built the short bridge to PEAU-DUNQUE Jct. on the left side of the layout..... ;D ;D
I also found Robin Trowers' "Bridge of Sighs".... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) >:( >:( >:( ;)
001.JPG
I'll fix itup and put it here......
002.JPG
:o :o ::) ::) ::) (here we go again)...it's "Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs".... ::) ::) ::) >:( ;D ;D ;D ....I guess so 'Rob' old boy,.................................... since 1974!.. :o ::) >:( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) 8)
That's it for now; it's Friday, and I'm gonna take a break ;D ;D ...I spent most of the morning finding those old 'Bridges' (don't you dare start again) >:( >:( ......but at least I'll save myself the time I'd have spent doing a bunch of scratch building only to 'run across them' at some point; and then be really pissed :o >:( >:( >:( >:( ...'cause I actually enjoy refurbising and redesigning stuff more than scratch building; in most cases... ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ...soooo thanx for stoppin in... ;D ;D ...don't be a stranger...have a great day and weekend ;D ;) ;) ....and I'll.........see ya..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
8) Operation pink foam is looking great!
Anyone that references Led Zeppelin in a model forum has my admiration.
Thanx Phillip, thanx Curt; and abig ol' thanx to the folks that like to 'pop in for a gaze' at the project ;D ;D ;D ;D ......
Phillip - the pink foam took a turn for the better today (Saturday); and Curt, "I knew somebody'd get it"...after 35 yeras playing, writing, recording, arranging, singing, and touring in the music biz... :o ;D ;D ;D ya gotta expect something ODD every once in a while........ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ......
Here's what I did today.....
Gage helped install the casters.....
001.JPG
The TT got it's 'ring' ;D ;D ;D ....and the foam carving got going in 'Ernest'......"Know whut I mean Verne ?" ... :o :o :o (don't get me started on that guy)......I LOVE Ernest P Worrell...... ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ....
005.JPG006.JPG
Hope it all looks 'up to snuff'.... :o ;D ;D ;D ;D .....I'll carry on in a day or so...1:1 stuff tomorrow (Sunday) but I might be able to sneak in a bit of carving......... ;) ;) ;) .....
All for now, thanx again for all the comments and suggestions....it really helps.... ;) ;) ;) ya'll stay tuned.......see ya............. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Kyle that's coming along nicely. What do you use to get the foam to look like layered rock; inquiring minds want to know. Have fun and nice casters; bet'cha don't hear that everyday.
Howdy Kyle,
The layout is progressing well. The bridge will be unique and interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it. ;D
Have fun,
mike
Kyle when I expand the photo it appears the bridge track is sitting higher than the approach track. If that's the case I would sand the cork under the lip of the TT pit until they are level with each other.
Thanx Larry C*., thanx Mike, and thanx Curt, thanx to all that cruised by ......welcome.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Larry C*, I use a plain old SHARP serrated steak knife; I just drag the blade along in a short, semi-deep cut about an eigth to a quarter of an inch deep running parallel to the length of the piece of foam. I usually hold the foam piece securely in one hand (left) and 'carve' with the other.. :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ....then I use the serrated edge to drag 'across the cuts' perpendicularly to knock off some of the 'hangers on'...but not all of them...some I leave as small rocks in the crevices.. ;) ;) then I 'piece them all together' and glue them in place after studying them for a couple of days.. ;D ;) ;) ......yes, I've 'knicked' myself a few times......:o :o :o but not too much blood loss, so "onward to the foe"... :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D :D ;) ...........
Mike... thanx;... ME TOO.... :o ;) ;) ;) ;) ......
Curt....yes the approach track is a smidge low right now, :o but it will all 'even out' when everything gets glued in place; ;D ;D plus...I always check to see if I need to 'shim' it up or not before the glue starts to flow.. ;D ;D ;D ..
OK... Today (Friday) I carved a little bit, but mostly I glued the bottom 3 layers of carved foam in place and began adding the layers that will continue up to reach the appropriate height and 'spot' on the backdrop....this will help blend in the layout with the backdrop and give me a good look at what I need to add to the backdrop to help with the 'blend' so as to eliminate or disguise any 'tell-tale' seams or gaps.... :o ;D ;) ;) ;)...
I mocked up the layers above the bottom 3 all the way across and added the 'cap' for the tunnels on the right (facing the layout) side.... ;) ;) ;) .....I'll 'study' it for the weekend, and then get busy carving and finishing it..... ;D ;D ;D ;) .....
Here's what I've done so far............. :o :o :o
View from the room entry.........
005.JPG
.....a little closer.....
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
"That concludes todays' presentation, thank for your attendance, and please use the appropriate exits..."... :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) >:( ;D ;D ;D ;) .....I always wanted to wait till everybody left, pretending that I'd been asleep the whole time.. :o just to see what the person doing the class, or seminar would say..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) .....but then only an asshole :o :o like me would try something like that......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)
Thanx again for checkin' out the project and be sure to tell afriend, and stay tuned..see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
Nice!
Thanx Larry C*., and howdy to the ones that peeked in... ;D ;D ;D ;D thanx to ya'll also.....
I worked a little more on the rock formations yesterday (Sunday) and changed the location of the I Me Mine and Phartz & Schmelling; and I'm also reconsidering the gravel/dirt road up to GEORGE.... :o :o .. I'm unsure if I'll have a road up to GEORGE... :o , I want the scenery to look a certain way, and that might preclude having a road OR a TOWN up there..... :o ...
The more I ponder the situation, the more I see this as just an 'elevation gaining' loop; like the Georgetown Loop.. :o :o ...only with a 'back door spur' (the IMMR & T Co.) as an alternative way to go up to PEAU-DUNQUE Jct.; and then back down to HARRISON.... :o ;D ;) ..It is used mainly to access and work the I Me Mine, and Phartz & Schmelling and then bring down the loads of BS from Phartz & Schmelling to HARRISON for weighing and inventorying at Windbreaker Odorizer Distribution then shipping out via the D&RGW... :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) .......
This would make all the trackage from HARRISON up to PEAU-DUNQUE Jct. (and beyond) D&RGW trackage, :o :o :o and only the 'back door up/down ramp' would be IMMR & T Co. trackage... :o ;D ;)...which is fine with me; and in a certain sort of way...'prototypical'??..... :o ;D ;) .......
I'll post some shots later ....after I work out a few more things that are bouncing around in my 'old and addled noggin'... ;) ;) ;) .....thanx again for checkin' in; and any suggestions and questions are appreciated....(hint) there's a 'shelf diorama' in the mix that'll play a key role in what's to come :o :o :o ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ....that's all I'm at liberty to divulge at this time...... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X .....all for now....see ya.... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.
I've seen Robin Trower many times but missed the Jimmy Page lead guitar onslaught! Both bands are awesome! Missed that part of ur post!
Lil bit of sympathy! 8)