The Modeler's Forum

The Roundhouse => The O-Narrow Line => Topic started by: Rick on August 14, 2026, 06:28:10 PM

Title: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: Rick on August 14, 2026, 06:28:10 PM
I was in Leadville, CO today and while there I walked over to the Leadville RR.
The RR was narrow gauge but was converted to standard gauge in 1943.
You can read more about the line here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville,_Colorado_and_Southern_Railroad

There isn't a prototype forum here so that's why I'm posting here.

081426LeadvilleRR01Small.jpg

081426LeadvilleRRCO02Small.jpg

081426LeadvilleRRCO03Small.jpg

081426LeadvilleRRCO04Small.jpg
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: Rick on August 14, 2026, 06:29:12 PM
081426LeadvilleRRCO05Small.jpg

081426LeadvilleRRCO06Small.jpg

081426LeadvilleRRCO07Small.jpg

081426LeadvilleRRCO08Small.jpg
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: robert goslin on August 14, 2026, 07:48:44 PM
Great photos Rick of a very famous area on the Colorado & Southern.
The freight building is stunning.
If looking for somewhere else to also post prototype pics, the Modelling Reference Pix thread would be a suitable one.
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: deemery on August 14, 2026, 07:54:23 PM
Quote from: robert goslin on August 14, 2026, 07:48:44 PMGreat photos Rick of a very famous area on the Colorado & Southern.
The freight building is stunning.
If looking for somewhere else to also post prototype pics, the Modelling Reference Pix thread would be a suitable one.
Not just C&S.  Also CM, and I think D&RG went into Leadville, too.  LOTS of railroad history there.

dave
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: Rick on August 15, 2026, 04:41:40 AM
Thanks Rob.
The interior of the freight house is even more impressive with it's wooden beams and trusses.
I feel bad now not taking a picture of that.
I thought about that forum, maybe next time.

You're right Dave, lots of RR history here.
Must of been great being in Colorado 50-100 years ago and doing some rail fanning.
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: PRR Modeler on August 15, 2026, 07:00:59 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos Rick.
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: NEMMRRC on August 15, 2026, 08:15:50 AM
Very nice! For some reason the skies out here where I live are hardly ever as blue as the ones out west. Those vibrant blue skies really make the subjects pop out of the photo.

I'd love to find out how they converted all that rolling stock to scenic railroad standards  ;D

Enjoy your adventure, Rick.
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: Larry C on August 15, 2026, 08:28:17 AM
Rick thinks for sharing; all the equipment looks stunning and well preserved.
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: Jerry on August 15, 2026, 09:44:10 AM
Rick grat photos thanks for sharing with us.

Jerry
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: elwoodblues on August 15, 2026, 01:33:15 PM
Thanks for sharing those great pics Rick.
Title: Re: Leadville Colorado & Southern RR
Post by: Philip on August 16, 2026, 08:42:04 AM
Thanks Rick!