Manassas, VA

GPdemayo

Don't forget.....we love pictures!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

CVSNE

First, an overall view of one end of the layout (from a stepladder!) - mostly an effort to remember how to imbed photos.
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 15, 2015, 02:17:42 PM
Don't forget.....we love pictures!  ;D
working out the process....(see below!) ::)
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Okay, that seems to work. By way of background (if you want a LOT of background on the theme/inspiration for the layout see Model Railroad Planning 2000 - a previous layout (similar) theme - was the cover story in that issue.
Basically, it's a combination of "might have been" - if the fabled "Titanic Railroad" between Palmer, Mass. and Providence RI had been completed and several prototype-based scenes from various points on the Central Vermont Railway. Setting it "late steam era" - essentially the mid-1950s but I fudge those dates a fair bit from time to time - and the season is "fall."
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Most of my "runner" steam locomotives are RTR plastic engines - mostly Bachmann and Broadway Limited. They've been repainted and weathered and decaled with my custom "SNE" lettering - which from a distance looks a lot like CN/CV/GT/ et al. lettering.
Trees are Supertrees flocked with a variety of Noch and Scenic Express leaf flocking. Grass is a mixture of static grass. The ROW fences and telgraph poles are made from witches brooms.

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

A quiet view of a bridge - most of my railfan shots are like this - I always seem to be waiting for the train...

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

I've posted most of these photos on other blogs and forums, but wanted to have a thread on this forum as well. Here's a view of a caboose crossing a country road - the road in the distance is a photo I took very near Camp David in Maryland last fall.
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

I model a north-south railroad. One thing I thought would be kind of neat would be to recreate the differences in fall scenery between the "south end" of the railroad - where the trees really haven't peaked, through the "peak" colors (the section of the layout I've been showing thus far in this thread) - and finally through the "past peak colors" and even, if I go far enough north, mostly bare trees.
Here's a view of a grove of oaks that represents the start of the "past peak" section

Marty McGuirk
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

GPdemayo

You're off to a great start Marty, thanks for sharing.  8)

Love the fall look to the layout.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Marty,

This is fantastic and I really like the differences in the trees. Beautiful layout as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

coors2u

That is some great scenery Marty. I can't wait to see more.
Dustin

Raymo

Only thing I see missing is the dogs. Raymo

CVSNE

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Thanks for the kind words to all,
Will keep plugging away at it and post more pictures as I go.
Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA