Southern New England Railway

Started by CVSNE, January 15, 2015, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

S&S RR

Marty

It looks great! Looking forward to following along. The dogs look great too!  All we need is a rabbit for them to chase.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Janbouli

Love your scenery , those subtle undulations are great.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Twist67

Hi,
Marty,nice to see this layout here...Great work on the changing trees.....Scenery looking fantastic

Regards,Chris

CVSNE

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Some of you may know Norm Wolf.
Before he moved to the wilds of southern Virginia Norm dropped off a couple of structures he knew wouldn't fit new apartment layout. One of them was this building - a nice factory Norm built called "Laskey Cabinet Co." (I think Scott Mason did the kit, but I'm not sure).

I liked the basic look of the building, but knowing that it was wasn't a prototype structure from the CV Norm mentioned "..If you can't find a spot for it don't worry" or words to that effect. My attitude was this isn't the CV - it's the Southern New England - which in my mind is "how the CV should've looked..." Besides, the building has one thing going for it most of my other structures don't... - it's finished!
I've played around with installing this structure in various spots but none were working well. Last night I moved some other things out of the way and placed it on a siding at the north end of Randolph. (to go back to the tree coloring discussion, this is further south on the line so there's still a fair number of green trees visible!)
The main structure is in pretty good shape, but the flashing on the office building looks like it's lifted a little - likely a result of differences in humidity and temperature between Norm's old basement and mine and the change of seasons. So I have to fix that.

Obviously I need to do something about the gap between the ground and the walls. I think it looks good here but I'm going to let it sit "unplanted" for a few days and see if it takes root...
Thanks Norm!
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

ACL1504

Glad to hear Norm is doing well and still modeling.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

TomW

Marty, It was great to see you after all these years. It was nice to meet Chris also. Sorry that you did not get to see Val. If you are down this way again stop in any time. PS I enjoyed your clinic at Prototype Rails.
Take care,
Tom Wilson

CVSNE

Quote from: TomW on January 21, 2015, 06:59:55 PM
Marty, It was great to see you after all these years. It was nice to meet Chris also. Sorry that you did not get to see Val. If you are down this way again stop in any time. PS I enjoyed your clinic at Prototype Rails.
Take care,
Tom Wilson
Thanks Tom,
It was great to see you as well, and have a chance to visit your layout.
Chris really appreciated the birthday cake, after all, you only turn 29 once, don't you?????
Best to Val, and we hope to see her on our next visit.
Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Been making slow, but steady, progress on the White River Junction station scene -

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

White River Junction station platforms completed - and the ball signal ready for weathering, track, and scenery.
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

I've also been working on the Derby & Ball Co. in Waterbury -
The prototype of the "main" building (in it's current configuration, so some windows, etc.. have been added when the building was "repurposed":
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Current status of the model. I went back and forth with the color to paint it and decided since I (1) Couldn't determine exactly what color it was painted in my era and (2) I like the barn red/cream trim it's currently painted I'd go with that:
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

The second building in the Derby & Ball Complex was the woodworking shop, seen to the left of the locomotive in this photo (the two story building is obscured by the smoke!) :

Current status of the model (actually, that "box on stilts" has been covered with corrugated panels and the roofs are installed - I just didn't take a photo last night to show progress!)

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Another shot of a different section of the layout - this one along the White River just north of the CV yard.
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA