KC's Workshop Cerzullo's Fruit Packing Build

Started by ACL1504, January 25, 2015, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Dave K. on February 13, 2015, 06:45:10 PM
Great thread, Tom. I'm looking ahead to a three-day weekend and catching up on your build has gotten me charged.

Dave,

Thank you for the kind words and I'm always happy to get others charged in the building department. I forgot about Monday being an extra day off. Enjoy the three days.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,
Wonderful choice with the green paint on the front of the building and especially the addition of the awning.  I have looked at the photos of the building on Ken's website and felt it was missing something, without being able to put my finger on what it needed.  You really improved the front of the building with the addition of the awning!
After my story and your response to planks on the roof, I am surprised that you aren't planning to have a perp on the roof being cornered by the law.  That would make a perfect "mini-scene".  ROFL! 
Jerry

Amagic41

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 14, 2015, 07:46:43 AM
Quote from: Amagic41 on February 13, 2015, 04:11:49 PM
I'll make one to fit Cerzulllo's
Tom
it will be included with the kit

Ken,

That will be a great option. I considered putting on a few single window awning but it looked way to busy. The front awning is just the right touch and look.

Tom ;D
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

gnatshop

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 14, 2015, 07:48:52 AM
Thank you for the kind words and I'm always happy to get others charged in the building department. I forgot about Monday being an extra day off. Enjoy the three days.     Tom ;D
When you're retired, it's really a big thing to get an extra day off!!  ;D ;D ;D

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 14, 2015, 09:18:51 AM
Tom,
Wonderful choice with the green paint on the front of the building and especially the addition of the awning.  I have looked at the photos of the building on Ken's website and felt it was missing something, without being able to put my finger on what it needed.  You really improved the front of the building with the addition of the awning!
After my story and your response to planks on the roof, I am surprised that you aren't planning to have a perp on the roof being cornered by the law.  That would make a perfect "mini-scene".  ROFL!

Jerry,

Thanks for checking in again and for the kind words concerning the awning, much appreciated. As far as the planks on the roof and the perf being chased by the Po_Po, I plan to have that scene on one of the other building I'm planning on for the new layout. I'll need a larger building though.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on February 14, 2015, 03:50:53 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on February 14, 2015, 07:48:52 AM
Thank you for the kind words and I'm always happy to get others charged in the building department. I forgot about Monday being an extra day off. Enjoy the three days.     Tom ;D
When you're retired, it's really a big thing to get an extra day off!!  ;D ;D ;D

Gman,

At our age, every day is a really big thing.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used Canopy Glue to make the window and door glass and when dry I painted Floquil SP Lettering Gray to a few of the windows to represent blinds. I installed the doors and windows on the building. I used  the Floquil SP Lettering Gray and applied a very light coat of "dry brushing" to the walls, doors, windows and store front.

When the dry brushing was dry,  I added the clear acetate, included in the kit, to the rear of the front windows. The back of the store front has the self adhesive and the acetate stuck to the adhesive.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I next added some tar to the rear roof along the edges. For the tar I mixed a little Floquil Grimy Black to some Elmer's White glue and used a toothpick to apply the mixture.

I also added the 2X6 stripwood to the top of the rear roof walls. Don't forget to miter the corners. This is the correct method and looks good even on a model.

The rear wall needs to be sanded down to the angle of the roof. This will give you and nice and even roof line.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

And now for the awning! I added the awning to the store front and it really changes the entire look of the structure. I glued it three boards up from the bottom of the upper front wall. I also added a spot of glue to the inside of the awning side and glued the side of the awning to the outside top of the two columns.

More on the build tomorrow.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

UP Fan

Great prototype build, Tom.  Thank you for taking the time and effort to document your build and sharing it with us.  I really like your color choices for the build.  I know Kenny appreciates your "fixes" to the kit.  In the long run, all the suggestions and fixes will add to the quality of Ken's kit.

Bob   

ACL1504

I had a little burst of energy and decided to work on the loading dock. I found an issue that needs to be fixed and I'll cover that in a few minutes.

Ken has precut/laser cut the loading dock and support posts for you. This is great as it will save time if you don't have to build one.

If you want to buld your own with individual boards here is what I did. I made a pattern with the one Ken supplies and made a simple frame. On top of the scale 4x4's I addeed scale 2x6's.

Add some 4x4 posts and you are all set.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: UP Fan on February 16, 2015, 03:33:37 PM
Great prototype build, Tom.  Thank you for taking the time and effort to document your build and sharing it with us.  I really like your color choices for the build.  I know Kenny appreciates your "fixes" to the kit.  In the long run, all the suggestions and fixes will add to the quality of Ken's kit.

Bob   

Bob,

Thank you for the very kind words. This has really been a fun build and Ken really has a winner in this one. I like the overall looks.

Thanks again for stopping by and posting your thoughts.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The only disadvantage to using the laser cut one is that it won't stain as well as the individual boards. In the next photo you can see that the top and bottom take the stain. The laser cut sides are burned and only let the stain soak in but not stain the wood.

However, let's proceed and use the laser cut loading dock. Here is how you can make it better looking if your loading dock can be viewed up close.

I painted the deck with a very thin light gray and when dry added some medium color A&I. When that was dry I used the medium cut razor saw and pulled it across the decking lengthwise. This gives it a little 3D look.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

If you desire you can add more A&I.

I then glued the support posts section to the underside of the loading deck/dock per the instructions. I made sure it was square at 90 degrees and set this aside to dry.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When the loading dock was dry I test fit it to the model. This is when I discovered the problem. I immediately and very carefully removed the support post section from the underside of the loading dock. I then glued the support post section to the outside edge of the loading dock.

NOTE: By gluing the support section to the underside, it raises the dock above the doors.

In the photo below you can see that I've supported the posts on the loading dock sprue. This represents the height of the dock if the posts are glued to the underside. You can clearly see the dock isn't level.

For Ken the solution can be an easy fix. The easiest one is to have the support post section glued to the outside edge flush with the loading dock as I did and shown below.

The harder one would be to cut the loading dock doors higher on the wall.

Continued later this afternoon.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com