Lime Company Mine

Started by Erieman, January 11, 2016, 10:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Quote from: ak-milw on January 17, 2016, 03:30:42 PM
Frank, I think a gray weathering would look great on the siding, it would show all the different boards.

8)

No worries Andy. It's coming. I typically weather once I have all the main pieces together. I'm close. I  still have the front supports, bracing and additional horizontal boards on an inner wall. Once that is done, out will come the weathering. I agree, right now it is too plain. Give me a day or two and it will change its complexion. Worn, but not too worn. Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for the weathering.

Frank / Erieman

S&S RR

Frank

Great start! I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Erieman

Quote from: S&S RR on January 17, 2016, 09:33:19 PM
Frank

Great start! I will be following along.

Good Morning John,

The morning is starting out partly cloudy, temps in the low 50's. Should get up into the mid 70's later today. As usual, I am in the train room. Working on the Lime Company build. Lots of sticks. Progress is slow, but steady. So much to do. so little time. I'll be posting some more pictures mid week of my progress. thanks for stopping by. Keep up the good work on your build.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

Frank,

Afternooon, well at least it is here. The vertical board by board siding is wonderful looking Frank. Cant' wait to see how you finish it.

BTW, your loco is coming along a smooth as new ribbon rail. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 18, 2016, 01:15:43 PM
Frank,

Afternooon, well at least it is here. The vertical board by board siding is wonderful looking Frank. Cant' wait to see how you finish it.

BTW, your loco is coming along a smooth as new ribbon rail. 8) 8)

Tom ;D

Tom,

You are the man. I took a look at your paint thread before opening this one. I am in awe. Thank you my friend for the fine work.

Thought you might enjoy another pic of the board by board of Lime Company. Man, there are a lot of boards on this build. Just when I think I have added all the boards, I find another area that needs more boards. The 3/4 " block helps keep the building square and is a good reference for the leg placement. Now the kit had no information on the area under the arches. Obviously, that is where the product was loaded into the cars. I have to dig thru some old mine books to see what I can find for the shoot. It needs the detail. More later.

Frank / Erieman

ak-milw

Frank, it probably was  four tapered sides to the middle with chute opening dead center , like a four sided pyramid upside down.

8)

Erieman

Quote from: ak-milw on January 18, 2016, 07:37:06 PM
Frank, it probably was  four tapered sides to the middle with chute opening dead center , like a four sided pyramid upside down.

8)

Thanks Andy,

That was my thought also. I'd like to find a photo so I can consider if I want to detail the area  / or not. I'm moving fairly quick on this building. Roof is next. Thanks for stopping by. Appreciate your comment.

Frank / Erieman

tom.boyd.125

Frank,
I found this photo on the net showing loading lime cars at a quarry in Rockford Maine.....photo credits are

Collection:
Keystone-Mast Collection
Contributing Institution:
UC Riverside, California Museum of Photography

Here is the link to the photo shown...

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt5c6015np/?order=2&brand=calisphere

A few other photos and information about that quarry is also at that link.  ;)
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Erieman

Tom,
Thank you for stopping by and finding the photos on lime mining. While looking at a couple of train magazines while my wife was having surgery , i found just what i was looking for.  I'll make a sketch and post it.

thanks for your help.

Frank / Erieman

Zephyrus52246

Nice looking structure so far, Frank.  Hope your wife did well with the surgery and heals up quickly.

Jeff

Erieman

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 19, 2016, 07:57:12 PM
Nice looking structure so far, Frank.  Hope your wife did well with the surgery and heals up quickly.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for stopping by and your kind words on the structure and the wife. Wife is doing just fine. She heals extremely quick. Not  bad for an old broad. Only kidding.

Frank / Erieman

GPdemayo

Hope everything is well with your wife Frank.....thoughts & prayers.

Those old broads can put a scare into us on occasion, I know mind did a couple of years ago, but she came out just fine and feisty as ever.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 20, 2016, 08:43:29 AM
Hope everything is well with your wife Frank.....thoughts & prayers.

Those old broads can put a scare into us on occasion, I know mind did a couple of years ago, but she came out just fine and feisty as ever.  :)

Thanks Greg for your concern about my wife. She had elective surgery yesterday to correct a wrinkly skin condition on her neck. Her mother and aunt had the same thing. Phyllis just wants to look beautiful for me. She is healthy as a horse, going to the Gym four times a week. Yes, I go twice a week, but I do all the yard work. Now that yesterday is behind us, I am back in the train room working on scenery and the build of the lime company. Oh yes, I take an occasional peak at what our friend is doing to my engine. Simply marvelous.

frank / Erieman

Erieman

Good Morning,

I have been working on the Lime company structure off and on the last few weeks. Progress is being made. I am about half way thru the build. The photo shows the components and where I am. The office is almost complete, the barn is about 75% complete, the feed elevator is about 65% complete, there sre two hoppers in the photograph. One is a foamboard model and the other is an old Campbell's model. Still to be started are the water tower and office and a couple of other small buildings. All the conveyers will have to be built and of course, thee will be lots of junk to be added to the scene. Well, maybe, i am not as far as I think I am. Progress comes slowly, sometimes even slower. Enjoy the pic. More soon.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

Frank,

The mine area is looking fantastic. the board by board structure fits right in. Great job and keep the photos coming.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com