SP RR

Started by sdrees, January 30, 2016, 10:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

Here are some more progress photo's of the SP RR.  I have completed placing the cork roadbed on the mainline.  On the mainline I used two layers of cork, 1/16" sheet cork and 3/16 Midwestern cork roadbed.  The reason being that in the logging and mining portion of the RR, sidings and yards I will only use the 1/16" sheet cork.  I will provide grade transitions where required to the single layer of cork by sanding the 3/16" cork.
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Steve

The benchwork looks great.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

KCS Trains

Steve,

I've been meaning to ask.  The lumber you used on your bench work looks really good.  Where did you buy it and what grade of lumber did you get?  Any information would be very helpful.  BTW I really like the way you have laid out your bench work.  Very organized.  Thanks in advance.  Phil

sdrees

John,

Thanks for taking a look.   You can now see what the main line will look like. 
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

Hi Phil,

I bought the lumber from Home Depot.  I had to sort out the good from the bad at the store.  It is their common grade lumber.  It has work fine for me.  I used 3rd Plan it CAD software to draw my track plan and one that was done I drew the plan for the bench work. When it cam time for the construction, it really went fast.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

I am taking a break from the layout construction and I am going to rehab the passenger station shown  below.  It was built from an article and plans from the 1956 December issue of Model Railroader.  I built it while I was in High School or Junior College.  Needless to say it has suffered over time.

It will be the station for Suphrin and the Railroad main office on the second floor for the SP RR.

I am still waiting for my turnouts that I am having built.
Steve Drees
SP RR

KCS Trains

Thanks for your reply Steve.  Phil

sdrees

I have taken apart the structure into its main components, removed the roof supports which have warped over time, removed the roof, removed the windows and walkways. 

I have rebuilt the roof supports for the shed and baggage room as shown. 
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

I received 31 of the 49 switches I will need for the layout today.  I had them custom built.  The price was very reasonable when compared to Shinohara switches from Walters.  The problem has been getting them delivered.  The first batch is about 3 months late.

What was nice though was if there was only a couple of inches between turnouts, the builder added this to the turnout.  He also soldered the wire to the frog
Steve Drees
SP RR

bparrish

OK ... Steve...

Who made up the turnouts for you? ? ?

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

sdrees

Hi Bob,

Cream City Turnouts in Wisconsin.  He uses the Fast Trak jigs and templates
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: KCS Trains on May 27, 2016, 11:13:20 AM
Steve,

I've been meaning to ask.  The lumber you used on your bench work looks really good.  Where did you buy it and what grade of lumber did you get?  Any information would be very helpful.  BTW I really like the way you have laid out your bench work.  Very organized.  Thanks in advance.  Phil

The benchwork looks so good you won't want to cover it up with scenery.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

sdrees

thanks John, I just hope the scenery turns out just as good.
Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

This is an update on the progress being made on my station

I painted the station the colors the Southern Pacific did.  The window frames I drew in 3rd Plan it and had them cut with a laser.  I used Wild West Models shake shingles for the roofing.

img]http://modelersforum.com/gallery/245-120616204203.jpeg[/img]

This is the freight room for the depot.

Another view of the main station

This is a temporary setup of what the station will look like.

Steve Drees
SP RR

Janbouli

Looking very good Steve, thanks for sharing.
I love photo's, don't we all.