SP RR

Started by sdrees, January 30, 2016, 10:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

thanks Karl, I pass you comments along to her.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

She is doing a great job.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

tct855

Steve,
             wow!!! what an fantastic painted backdrop.  Nice nice talent to be able to paint like that.  Thanx Thom...

jerryrbeach

Steve,
I'm with everyone else on this, that backdrop painting is just beautiful.
Jerry

S&S RR

Steve

The backdrop looks great!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

sdrees

I will pass the ovations on to her.  Thanks Curt, Thom, Jerry and John. 
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Steve,

Add my name to the passing on list. She is very talented and the backdrop looks very natural.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

After spending several months on constructing the Shelby's Marine Service diorama, it is time to get back to the layout construction and the installation of Tortoise Switch Machines.  I made the decision to use Tortoise machines on all my switches and no hand throw machines because I did not want to reach over anything on the layout to throw a switch and every switch would have a toggle switch on a control panel so everything is consistent about controlling switches and not have some this way and some that way etc.  It make things to confusing for operations.

So here we go on my method for installing the Tortoise machines.

Before the switch was installed on the layout, a 1/4" hole was drilled through the roadbed for the spring wire.

I then drilled 1/16" holes through the table top at the each end of the throw bar so I could line up a template underneath the table top.

I then connected the line between the two holes locating the throw bar above.  I then used this line to locate where a template should be pasted in place in relation to the throw bar and the hole for the spring wire. 

I then slipped the machine in place and held it with a pair of pliers clinching the spring wire while I drilled holes underneath to hold the switch machine in place and secure it.

At my work bench, I assembled the wires to an edge connector.  The orange and brown wires on the outside of the connector are for the toggle switches.  The red and white wires goes to the tracks and the black wire to the frog.  I installed T-Taps on the ends of the wires here so I would not have to do any overhead soldering.  I installed Quick Slide Connectors on the installed wires under the table.

This is the completed installation of a Tortoise Switch machine on my layout.  Only 49 more to go.

Steve Drees
SP RR

MAP

Your layout is really coming along nicely Steve.  The backdrop your sister drew is beautiful and really works with the layout.
Mark

ACL1504

Steve,

I'm sure it feels good to get back to the layout. Everything we do on the layout goes to the big picture of getting it finished.

Nice easy way to install the Tortoise with no soldering.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Clever way to install the tortii.  I'm stealing that for sure.   8)

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Great ingenuity with the the tortoises. I feel your pain having 49 more to do.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Erieman

Steve,

Nice job. Where did you get the drilling template? Did this come with the Tortoise? Did you make it? That is a sweet idea. Have not seen that before. Inquiring minds want to know.

Frank / Erieman

sdrees

The template comes with each switch machine, or you can copy it and cut it out.  I believe it was two years ago there was a clinic on the installation of tortoise switch at the Arizona Division meeting in Tucson.  This was his method for installing them.  This really made it easy.  There is some soldering Tom, but it is done at the work bench when the leads are soldered to the edge connector.  But you do not have to do any soldering overhead under the layout if you use the connectors shown.  This is my least favorite part of building the railroad.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Erieman

Quote from: sdrees on September 24, 2017, 09:29:00 PM
The template comes with each switch machine, or you can copy it and cut it out.  I believe it was two years ago there was a clinic on the installation of tortoise switch at the Arizona Division meeting in Tucson.  This was his method for installing them.  This really made it easy.  There is some soldering Tom, but it is done at the work bench when the leads are soldered to the edge connector.  But you do not have to do any soldering overhead under the layout if you use the connectors shown.  This is my least favorite part of building the railroad.

The template must be something new. I have boxes of 10 and nothing like this is included. Could you make me a copy? Ill pick it up in November. Thanks. Got all your switch machines in yet?

Frank / Erieman