Sewel's Foundry FSM Kit #225

Started by postalkarl, March 30, 2016, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Could you provide some notes on how you do scenery around and between a completed model like that gantry crane?

thanks in advance!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hi Dave:

sure.

1) spread full strength white glue on surface and apply Highball Real Dirt.

2) Soak with alcohal as a wetting agent.

3) Add Woodland scenics scenic cemnet. Come as a liquid in a bottle. Add Add A light coat of Dirt over top and Woodland scenics green foam.

4) Then add the rest Using white glue and scenic cement.

Karl

deemery

Do you do that after the model is completed?  The problem I had (my FSM 155 old time coal dock) was spreading dirt underneath all the footings/trestle work.

dave

donatode

Quote from: deemery on June 06, 2016, 10:01:12 AM
Do you do that after the model is completed?  The problem I had (my FSM 155 old time coal dock) was spreading dirt underneath all the footings/trestle work.

dave

I have never gotten as far as this step myself but I would think that if you had another set of footings for the gantry/trestle/etc you could use them as a place holders and then scenic "over" them.

tom.boyd.125

Karl,
Thanks for sharing your build... ;)...Nice work !  8)
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Hi Dave:

Here's what I do. When I'm ready to glue the building in place I put it on the base. Then I trace around it including all platforms or place where dirt has to go underneath. I spread white glue in the platform areas and apply dirt there only. Next apply glue to bottom of structure and install it on base and over the dirt under the platforms.  Hope this helps.

Karl

deemery

Thanks, Karl, that helps complete the picture in my mind.  One thing i tried (and don't rank as successful) was to make the concrete footers removable from the structure.  The theory was I'd spread the glue, position the structure with the footers in place.  Then I'd remove the structure, leaving the footers glued to the base, and finish putting dirt around the footers.  The problem was that I couldn't get the structure to come back and sit perfectly flush/straight on the footers.  That's probably says bad things about the accuracy of my modeling :-(

dave

postalkarl

Hi Dave:

You are welcome. Glad I could help.

Karl