Madurodam outdoor model exhibit, The Hague, Netherlands

Started by jbvb, April 12, 2016, 04:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

Madurodam was begun in 1952, named after a Dutch WWII hero whose family donated money to found it.  It has models of many real buildings of all types, from Schipol Airport and the new Thalys high speed RR line to museums, town halls, farms , canals and other structures from all over the country. They've expanded and updated it over the years; now it's about 2 acres next to a tram line and a highway on the edge of a park.  I believe most structures are 1:25, with commercial 1:29 or 1:32 RR track and equipment.

There is much to learn here, particularly for outdoor modelers.  Their highly-detailed structures are out in the weather, mostly within reach of the audience, year in, year out.  Almost all of their in-scene trees are live plants. I will ask around to see if their craftspeople have ever published anything on structure materials and techniques.

Many of the scenes are detailed with people and vehicles.  I had the idea of shooting 'LP eye view':
James

jbvb

The metal part of this roof appears to be a single sheet of galvanized steel, with the panel boundaries created via a subtle chemical etch.
James

jbvb

The forest around this model palace appears to use at least 10 different species of tree/shrub.
James

jbvb

This models an iconic jam/jelly factory, complete with a figure of the company's advertising character 'Flipje'.
James

jbvb

Some more street-level shots:  The Dutch have a different idea about what might make kids' heads explode than we do.
James

cuse

Zephyrus52246

Wow.  I'll bet it's a lot of work keeping the plants trimmed so they don't grow too big.

Jeff

Janbouli

http://www.madurodam.nl/en/

I have only been there once in my childhood , it's about time I spent a visit again.
I love photo's, don't we all.