Jim/James Lucas where are you now?

Started by ACL1504, April 14, 2016, 01:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Engler

A Jim Lucas made one post on MRRForums in 2009.

Mastercreations Coach works
Just finished another project, thouht I would share some photos. A very nice kit but the instructions will drive one nuts. best thing is to
work from the pictures.
by Jim Lucas
Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Forum: The Craftsman's Workshop
Topic: Mastercreations Coach works
Replies: 20
Views: 2215

Here is the link:  http://kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2623&p=42082#p42082

This is quite a diorama. Several photos in the thread. Someone must know this fellow.

THE Runner- Mike Engler in Lakeville, MN
mike.engler59@gmail.com

rpdylan

I've thought about attempting a scratch-build of the coachworks kit-  that build is very nice!

Bob C
Bob C.

ACL1504

Mike,

Thanks for the research on Lucas. I do believe he was the one who built the other Boilermakers Brewery for Jimmy D. I remember now sending him an email and asking him if these were his builds. He responded in the affirmative.

Not sure where he is now.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on April 14, 2016, 08:38:40 PM
Tom (ACL),
  Figured out how to identify the work of the mystery structure builder. All of the photos that were ever posted on Ebay by him have a underscore 12 in the file name. Have over 100 different photo builds saved on my b/u drive. Check these photos out , and look at the file names, as I did not change the file name years ago when the photos were saved. The photos I posted yesterday are all his work. After you are done posting all the photos you have to show, I will check my photos to see if anything is missing. Also did not have a photo of Wilson's Milk found on my b/u drive, so might have missed some of his Ebay listings. Mike Engler just posted a photo with a link of a Master Creations build by him from several years ago in this thread too.
Thanks !
Tom

Tom B.,

You may be correct. I renamed all my files so I have no clue! One I didn't rename in my Jim Lucas file had 33-12.jpg.

I have 118 photos of Jim Lucas structures. I'll post them here over the next few weeks. I'd like to see what you have as well if you don't mind posting them.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Timbob60

I remember attending an early CSS in Mansfield. Not the first one, I think, but maybe '08 or '09. There was a table set up in the vendor's room by the right side door. It had several postcard sized photos of the models shown here as well as others (except the Coachworks). One of the show organizers (He whose name must not be spoken) was nearby and I asked him about them. He told me they were photos of scratchbuilt models that had been sold on eBay, and that the modeler's name was Jim Lucas. The photos caught my eye because I had seen them on eBay and also had saved many of them to now old hard drives. I seem to also remember that he said Jim was from California. Anyway the plan, at the time, was that Jim was going to produce them as kits. I never heard any more about this and, sadly, it seems it never happened.
    I checked the old forum, and Jim Lucas joined in March 2009. He made only one post. The one referenced above, and the last time he visited the forum was 2011. In 2009, when he joined, he listed his age as 75. If so, he would be at least 82 now, so he may be retired. But I hope he's well and still building great models.
    And that's all I have to say about that.

Geo2rge aka timbob60

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 15, 2016, 10:00:42 AM
Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on April 14, 2016, 08:38:40 PM
Tom (ACL),
  Figured out how to identify the work of the mystery structure builder. All of the photos that were ever posted on Ebay by him have a underscore 12 in the file name. Have over 100 different photo builds saved on my b/u drive. Check these photos out , and look at the file names, as I did not change the file name years ago when the photos were saved. The photos I posted yesterday are all his work. After you are done posting all the photos you have to show, I will check my photos to see if anything is missing. Also did not have a photo of Wilson's Milk found on my b/u drive, so might have missed some of his Ebay listings. Mike Engler just posted a photo with a link of a Master Creations build by him from several years ago in this thread too.
Thanks !
Tom

Tom B.,

You may be correct. I renamed all my files so I have no clue! One I didn't rename in my Jim Lucas file had 33-12.jpg.

I have 118 photos of Jim Lucas structures. I'll post them here over the next few weeks. I'd like to see what you have as well if you don't mind posting them.

Tom ;D

Tom,
Here are the 2 photos that we have here with file names with @  33_12 or 33_12_sb on my b/u drive. See if they match the photo at your end. Also note... he did also use the letters _12_sb in some of his file names too......Have not done this type of work since my time in military intel... ;D
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Timbob60 on April 15, 2016, 10:53:22 AM
I remember attending an early CSS in Mansfield. Not the first one, I think, but maybe '08 or '09. There was a table set up in the vendor's room by the right side door. It had several postcard sized photos of the models shown here as well as others (except the Coachworks). One of the show organizers (He whose name must not be spoken) was nearby and I asked him about them. He told me they were photos of scratchbuilt models that had been sold on eBay, and that the modeler's name was Jim Lucas. The photos caught my eye because I had seen them on eBay and also had saved many of them to now old hard drives. I seem to also remember that he said Jim was from California. Anyway the plan, at the time, was that Jim was going to produce them as kits. I never heard any more about this and, sadly, it seems it never happened.
    I checked the old forum, and Jim Lucas joined in March 2009. He made only one post. The one referenced above, and the last time he visited the forum was 2011. In 2009, when he joined, he listed his age as 75. If so, he would be at least 82 now, so he may be retired. But I hope he's well and still building great models.
    And that's all I have to say about that.

Geo2rge aka timbob60

George,

Great information, thanks for digging it up and adding your comments. I just reviewed my old build thread on Boilermakers Brewery on the old forum. Jim Lucas did in fact build the second Boilermakers. Check near the bottom of the page.

http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5203&hilit=boilermakers&start=290

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Tom B.,

Here is my 33-12. It's the back of Wilson's Milk.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The Union Ice Company is one of my favorite Lucas builds. I have plans to scratch build one in the distance future.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I remember now emailing Mr. Lucas back in 2010. I sent him a photo of one of his structures and asked if it was his model. He responded and said it was.

I also asked him if he ever considered doing any of the models into kits. He sad he had and was thinking about making a few into kits. I never heard anything after that.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Gregg W. teamed up with Jim Lucas on many of the fantastic dioramas for Gregg's layout.  I assume its the same guy.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22998

There are links to the diorama builds a little down the page, and Jim is always given credit by Gregg, so you should be able to work out which builds he was involved in.  Some of the best dioramas ever built IMO.

Cheers, Mark.