Sylvan Scale Models 1937 Chevrolet Taxi

Started by Raymo, April 16, 2016, 08:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

I've cleaned up all the little pieces using the #11 scraping action being careful not to break off the sprues.

Raymo

When drilling out the steering wheel for the piece of wire that represents the steering shaft I use a piece of the foam backed sand paper to support it while drilling it with my pin vice. Then I glue the wire in place and set it aside to dry.

Raymo

While I'm on the steering, there's a small divet in the floorboard that I drilled out for the steering shaft

Raymo

The top photo shows the figure that comes with the kit for the driver. The detail  is awful but like I said earlier,You really can't see the interior so I'll use it so it won't be an empty car on the road. I'll also use this other casting for backseat passengers. If you want better detailed passengers I'd use seated people from one of the figure companies.

Raymo

Here's the dash board after cleaning off the flash. I just tack it into place and then fit the body to the chassis till I get it to fit to the body like in the last photo. Once I like the fit I hit it with more glue

Raymo

After that has dried, I cut down the wire and attach steering to the chassis. I dry fit this a few times with the driver figure for length before I glue in place.

Raymo

I've marked the center of roof for the TAXI sign. There are divets on each side of the hood for the headlights and on the rear fender I made a pencil mark for the rear tail light about an 1/8 of an inch up from the bottom.

Raymo

Because the thicknesses vary in the molding (moulding :D ) it's easier to find a drill bit close to the parts your working with for these specific items. I've cut down the sprue so they don't hit each other when installed.

Raymo

Body with the details installed.

Raymo

Now the body and chassis sub assembly's are done. Set them aside till they're ready to wash.

Raymo

Now onto wheels and tires. Start with the wheels. Cut off the the sprue and use a #11 knife to cut the edge on the inside edge of the wheel

Raymo

Now take a tire which is molded with some type of rubber resin. I cut off the sprue as close to the tire as possible

Raymo

Then with the #11 blade, I roll out the flash from the inside of the tire.

Raymo

This photo shows a seam scraper I purchased from Squadron Models. The shaft is the perfect size to hold the tire in shape for the final cleanup. I've also have used a paint brush handle for this.

Raymo

I then use a sanding stick to sand the flash off the tread of the tire. The trick is to do it with out creating flat spots on the tire.