Swakhammers Welding By FSM

Started by postalkarl, June 12, 2016, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on June 15, 2016, 02:40:44 AM
Hi John S. & Dave:

Here's a wall I messed around with pastels on. How does it look. As I said I think it make great red stone.

Karl

Karl

I like it - just depends on the look you like.  They have gray pastels that will give you the same color as you have on the left. I just like the texture better. To my eyes it looks more like natural stone in any color.  When I dry brush stones or clapboard siding now I'm using the pastels or chalks. Same procedure that I used with paint. I should mention the I prefer the pastel chalks (I scrap a pile of dust onto the workbench) when I dry brush - no alcohol. The light color will blend in more with the color of the stone. I have been using the Pan Pastels for the base coats of color.

Again, don't take any of this as criticism - the wall you did looks great.  I just found a process that I like better and I may be full of s***. Or my eyes are going. Or both. For me it was a new process I tried a few years ago and I like it enough to still be using it today.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hi John:

Thanks for the input. I will probably try this somewhere along the line. But this one need to be per the instructions.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Walls, windows and doors are painted & assembled. Here's a few photos. Hope you like them.

Karl

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

EricQuebec

rpdylan

Karl, what did you use to "glue" the walls together? Epoxy?
Bob C.

postalkarl

Hi John S., Eric & Bob:

Hi guys thanks for the compliments. Bob, I used 5 minute epoxy.

Karl

GPdemayo

That's one impressive looking masonry structure Karl.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

HI Greg:

Thanks for the compliment. Much apprecaited as always.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Karl,
Nice looking start on that big heavy yellow box kit.  8)  Sold mine several years ago to a friend who was looking for one ... :'(  Will watch your Scakhammers come together and looks you are off to another great looking model build.  ;)
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Karl,

I'm a little late getting started on this one. Looking very good my friend. OH boy, another build for the Shultz files.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hi Tom:

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi Guys:

Working on roof and roof shed. As can be seen in the color photo kit ad there is a lot of rust on this roof. Tried to emulate that. Hope it look OK.

Karl

fbernard65

postalkarl

Hi Frank:

thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

Karl