FOS Juniper Freight House.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2016, 07:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: S&S RR on July 25, 2016, 07:22:26 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 25, 2016, 06:26:53 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 24, 2016, 10:22:42 PM
Tom

Looks good - the bracing really helps  - you do good work even with someone watching over your shoulder. I keep a bottle of wet water on my workbench to help control that problem.

John,

Thanks very much. I tried the water - maybe it wasn't wet enough! 8) 8) 8)

Tom ;D

That's probably it - the soap helps!

Hey youse guys.....I use soap every Saturday.....Pegi makes sure I keep up with my hygiene regiment.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504
I was talking to one of the SBG's(Greg DeMayo) about the roof and I mentioned I was going to follow the kit and use the rolled roofing. He suggested using the corrugated roofing material. I instantly agreed this would be a better choice for my structure.....

Glad to be of help Tom.....The roof looks much better with the corrugated roofing.

In the real world roll roofing is generally only used on the most temporary structures, especially down South.

The sun leaches out the asphalt binder in the felt and it begins to deteriorate at a very rapid rate. Once the asphalt is gone so is the waterproofing characteristics of the material. It's a short term solution to keep the rain out.

A great many kits put out by the kit manufacturers provide us with roll roofing. This type of roofing material is not appropriate for the type of structures their kits represent. A masonry building that is capable of lasting for decades or even centuries will not have a roof that has a life span measured in months.

From a business perspective, I can understand why they do this. The more money invested in the materials in the kit, the smaller the profit margin from the sale of the kit. Since there is an upper limit to the final sale price of the kit, they have to make choices in what they include.

If the kit manufacturer has included great castings or well milled and cut wood and other great goodies in his kit, it is a simple matter to purchase an appropriate roofing material for a structure.

There are a great variety of metal, asphalt or wood shingle roofing material available now, so have fun experimenting with a few.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 26, 2016, 09:03:15 AM
Tom

Looks good - the bracing really helps  - you do good work even with someone watching over your shoulder. I keep a bottle of wet water on my workbench to help control that problem.

John,

Tom ;D

Hey youse guys.....I use soap every Saturday.....Pegi makes sure I keep up with my hygiene regiment.  ;D

Can you please change your regiment to Saturday morning prior to the SBG meetings rather that Saturday evening after our meetings?   ::)  :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

MASIGMON

Tom,
Very nice build.  Like the step by step approach that you use in sharing building this kit.  Maybe one of these days I will take the trip down I95/I4 to meet you

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, FL

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 26, 2016, 10:21:32 AM
Tom

John,

Tom ;D

Can you please change your regiment to Saturday morning prior to the SBG meetings rather that Saturday evening after our meetings?   ::) :P

Wow - this one sure got away from us. ;) ;D :o :-[
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Bob, Greg and John,

Wow, while I've been hard at work on the layout, ya'll have been hard on each other. Well, mainly hard on Greg and I suppose it is only natural. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Butty Greg, you are the fall guy. I'm staying out of it. Oops, to late for that.

Tom 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 25, 2016, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 25, 2016, 06:25:34 PM
Quote from: jimmillho on July 24, 2016, 09:42:06 PM
Tom,

It looks very good.......I may even add the bracing to mine as really makes the shed POP.

Jim

Butty Jim,

Thank you, the bracing makes it look like a kit out of a box instead of a kit out of a plastic bag. 8) 8)

Tom ;D

Now that's funny!   :D   ;D ;D

Looking good.  One of the things that I really liked about our visit to the FSM was the quantity (and quality) of the small structures spread all around the layout.  I like large structures but the small ones, like this one, really make do make a difference.  Like they say, "The devil is in the details."   ;)

Bob,

Thank you, much appreciated. George certainly is the master at details. See ya Satty!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: MASIGMON on July 26, 2016, 11:42:35 AM
Tom,
Very nice build.  Like the step by step approach that you use in sharing building this kit.  Maybe one of these days I will take the trip down I95/I4 to meet you

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, FL

Mike,

Thank you for stopping by and for the kind compliment. This build is very short on the "step by step" I usually do on a build.

Please, come on down for a great visit. You can meet some of the SBG (Saturday Butty Group). We call our little group the SBG even thought we hardy ever get together on Saturdays.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: S&S RR on July 26, 2016, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: ReadingBob on July 26, 2016, 10:21:32 AM
Tom

John,

Tom ;D

Can you please change your regiment to Saturday morning prior to the SBG meetings rather that Saturday evening after our meetings?   ::) :P

Wow - this one sure got away from us. ;) ;D :o :-[

Doesn't it always John..... ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 26, 2016, 02:55:36 PM
Quote from: MASIGMON on July 26, 2016, 11:42:35 AM
Tom,

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, FL

Mike,

Thank you for stopping by and for the kind compliment. This build is very short on the "step by step" I usually do on a build.

Please, come on down for a great visit. You can meet some of the SBG (Saturday Butty Group). We call our little group the SBG even thought we hardy ever get together on Saturdays.

Tom ;D

Be great meeting you Mike.....I might even get in a morning shower.....as requested by Mr. Butts!  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 26, 2016, 02:39:25 PM
Bob, Greg and John,

Wow, while I've been hard at work on the layout, ya'll have been hard on each other. Well, mainly hard on Greg and I suppose it is only natural. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Butty Greg, you are the fall guy. I'm staying out of it. Oops, to late for that.

Tom 8)

Where have I heard that one before Langford?  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 26, 2016, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 26, 2016, 02:39:25 PM
Bob, Greg and John,

Tom 8)

Where have I heard that one before Langford?  :o

What? OOOOOOOPS!
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used PanPastel Artists Pastels to weather the corrugated roof panels.

I started by stippling Red Iron Oxide Shade in the location shown below.

I did the same for the top of the top panels but only did this in a random pattern. I then used a 1/2" brush to "pull" the pastels down. Verticlally only and never horizontally.

I then used the same stippling pattern for the following colors. I applied them one at a time and "pulled" the pastels down. After the Red Iron Oxide I used Burnt Sienna followed by Burnt Sienna Shade, followed by Burnt Sienna Extra Dark, followed by Raw Unber. All those in that order.The final coat was Paynes Gray Tint.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After weathering the roof, I realized I neglected to add the roof stack. I drilled a suitable hole in the roof and super glued the stack to the roof.

I then painted the stack, in place on the roof, with Floquil Grimy Black. I let the paint act as the tar pitch around the stack.

While the stack was still wet with paint, I dipped a brush in some Bragdon Burnt Sienna and painted the chalk on the stack. This gives a nice "flaky" rust look to the stack.

Back in a few. Diet Pepsi time.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The model is finished. This was a fun build and a great kit from Doug Fosscale. There was nothing difficult about the build even though I added the cross bracing, the corrugated roofing panels and the individual 2X8's for the platform and ramp. The instructions, in my opinion, were clear and unambiguous with B&W photos to explain/show how a piece fits.

The freight house just looks like it belongs on the Atlantic and Southern RR.

Thanks for following along on the journey.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com