FOS Bud's Bait "N Gas Dock Challenge #2

Started by ACL1504, September 12, 2016, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on October 27, 2016, 08:06:50 PM
Now I know what you were doing this afternoon while I was Bowling.

Glad you found the kit.

Jim

Jim,

You are absolutely correct my friend. I've been very busy today.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on October 27, 2016, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on October 27, 2016, 07:48:22 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on October 27, 2016, 07:44:43 PM
Tom

I'm glad you found it - your off to a great start.

John,

Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, I'm glad I found it as well. Good thing I decided to work on Delwin's. 8) 8)

Tom ;D

Tom

You have the same problem I do - to many project going at the same time. I just can't have only one project at a time.

John,

I just counted and I have a baker's dozen projects going on at this time. I shouldn't have counted. Now I panicked. 8) :P

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

HI Tom:

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see some more progress.

Karl

ReadingBob

You plan on having the Red October tied off at Bud's for refueling?   ;D  ;D  ;D

Great movie.

I'm glad you found the kit and got started on it.  The whole corner is looking great and this one will certainly add even more interest to it.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on October 28, 2016, 07:46:53 AM
HI Tom:

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see some more progress.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you my friend. More is on the way.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on October 28, 2016, 07:48:25 AM
You plan on having the Red October tied off at Bud's for refueling?   ;D ;D ;D

Great movie.

I'm glad you found the kit and got started on it.  The whole corner is looking great and this one will certainly add even more interest to it.   :D

Bob,

It was a fantastic movie. Thanks for the kinds words on the corner, I appreciate your comments.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Per the instructions, I edge glued 2X6s to the side of the floating platform.

I then glued the planking to the top. I used a heavy weight as a flat surface to ensure the planking was straight.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When the planking was thoroughly dry, I poked a hole in the planks to mark where I needed a larger hole for the lighting wires.

I then used the back side of an Emory board and sanded the top of the planks. I've discovered this sanding really brings out the grain and color variations of the A&I stain.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm going to jump ahead a little bit here and discuss the rafters. I've already installed an LED and will go over that next.

The instructions call for scale 2X6s to be used for the exterior rafters. I decided to use scale 2X4s instead.

Here is how the gable end looks with 2X4 exterior rafters. They appear to fit the scale of the structure better than the 2X6s.

Here is how a scale 2X6 looks next to the 2X4.

The 2X6 just doesn't look good.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Jumping back to the LED now. I used a Miniatronics surface mount LED. This is the same style LED I used in the A&S RR passenger station platforms. It is Miniatronics item #12-625-04, Yeloglo White LED and comes in a four pack.

The yeloglo white is a bit misleading as when lit, it is very bright.

I wanted to tone it down some. Reading Bob told me he sometimes uses Tamiya clear yellow and paints this over the LED.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the photo below you can see the difference. The one on the left is out of the package and the one on the right has a coat of clear yellow on the LED.

Back to the lighting later in the thread.

More in a few, Diet Pepsi time.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I glued the little office on the left under the roof and set the structure aside.

I then cut out the opening for the LED wires in the floating dock. You can see a light pencil line on the planks that mark the location of the two small buildings when glued to the dock.

Here is how it looks on the dock. It has yet to be glued in place.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I mentioned the instructions call for one set of exterior rafters but only on the gable ends of the two small buildings. I decided to add a set of exterior roof rafters and rafter tails to the front. The rear of the structure won't be seen unless John Siekirk comes over and uses his selfie camera stick to get a shot of the rear. ;D ;D ;D

I used the scale 2X4s for all the extra rafters and rafter tails. This is a step I really didn't want to do but I'm glad I did as it makes the building look much better.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Back to the LED lighting.

Here is how it looks with the one coat of clear yellow painted over the LED. It's to bright.

I applied another coat of the clear yellow. Still to bright.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

A third coat of the clear yellow proved to be the magic coat.

The wires are shown in the photo below. They will be left out until I get the over head sign LED installed.

I checked the alignment of the structure and glued it to the dock planks.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com