Model T delevery - Challenge build 2016

Started by bparrish, September 15, 2016, 01:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

So I'm in here.........

This is a two part kit to make one vehicle.  It starts with a Jordan models 1925 Model T flat bed truck #238.

With that is the Rail And Tie company Delivery Truck Conversion kit.  It is currently off of Darryl's web page but I'm pretty convinced that it is due to the unavailability of the Jordan vehicle.  If you have a truck and contact him I'm sure he would fill the order.

So here are the two kits spread out.  The Jordan photo shows the parts with the cab parts set aside as they are replaced with the conversion kit.

The second is the Rail and Tie kit with the parts spread out and some painted as I started on it before Dan came along with the challenge idea.........

So here we go........

see ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

Great , I have some Jordans to build and I love Darryls kits , so this will be a double fun build thread.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Raymo

S&S RR

This is going to be a good one - I have a lot of these to build. Unless the price gets over $100 then I'm selling them.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Rail and Tie

"Munching on popcorn"  watching!...

BTW the conversions are only temporarily off the site as there was a bit of confusion out there in a flurry of interest once the Jordan prices escalated quickly. A few folks thought these were the full Jordan kits and conversions even though we think we were clear enough on that they were conversions only. (probably just the panic buys there have happened since the current state of world Jordan supplies!!  Will be back up on the site shortly as soon as we make it a little more clear that they are conversions only!!

....back to your regularly scheduled "Bob Parrish" Show!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

bparrish

I'm getting into this build...

There is a LOT of modeling in this little truck.  Darryl has a great kit here and has instructions on line that can be downloaded.

With that however some additional instruction / hints........ are in order.

First is the handling of the sign paper that is intended to sandwich between two parts of the sides.  It offers easy lettering of some impossibly small openings.  He gives two complete panels for each side so learning is taken into account. 

My suggestion is to cut the paper a bit wide for handling and then trim it back later.  I put the part on an iron block as a white base would not show this very well.

Then the side sheets can be glued to the sub structure as shown below.  I use yellow wood worker's glue as it is quick and doesn't warp the paper sandwich.

Here is a side cleaned.

First side.

And then the second with the tail gate panel on for some strength.  All of this is going on in less than an inch and a half.

The white paper sandwich will be trimmed off further and painted as part of a large touch up step near completion.

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

ACL1504

Bob,

I'm enjoying the conversion build. Great job.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Rail and Tie

Quote from: JimMooney on September 20, 2016, 12:47:52 PM
Historical reference....
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7227?size=_original#caption

Jim!  Glad you could make it to the forum.

I was going to wait until Bob completed the truck and see if he had any issues with it. That way I could blame Jim for the design!!  ::) So far it has turned out to be a great little kit. A testament to Jim Mooney's concept!

Bob, you are doing a great job on this.  Very clean build.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

bparrish

Darryl......... thanx

You never know what people think until they tell you.

Steve put up a photo link of the original truck in front of a building. I chased it ! ! !

It is at 2006 Rhode Island Avenue NE, Washington DC ( DC stands for da capitol ! Not all Canadians know that ! ! !)

I put it into google earth and came up with it.  The photo below is today.  Yes it was a weird shaped building.  It seems that the street was on a diagonal but the property surveys were square to the world sooooo.  All of the store fronts were cranked out on an angle to match the street.  The two buildings to the left of the old photo were added later.  Visible in google earth - satellite.

see ya
Bob

S&S RR

Very cool to see the now and then photographs.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad