Build Challenge 2016 - Dyer's Hardware by Micro-Scale Models

Started by Vilius, September 26, 2016, 02:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilius

I am building Dyer's Hardware by Micro-Scale Models for the challenge. Why this kit? I build kits for other people and Dyer's was pretty much next in line. On the other hand, I don't see many Micro-Scale builds on the net so someone may find this thread useful.
I like using the technology whenever I can, especially if the task is tedious otherwise. One of these tasks is "painted"signs. I don't like sanding printed signs until I turn blue trying to make paper layer thinner. I scan the signs, print them on the tissue paper, and glue them. I also fix them if I need to. IN this case the shade of red of the printed sign wasn't what I wanted and the sign had some grayish background. The tissue signs have one serious flaw. The white color or no color areas to be exact becomes nearly transparent when glued. It isn't a big deal if the wall is white or the sign has no white. Otherwise the area of the wall where sign goes needs to be painted white. After trying that on two models I wasn't too excited about it. I decide to try different approach. After I printed the signs and sprayed them with Workable Fixatif I cut them out, turned them over and sprayed with white paint. I was concerned about the paint soaking through or ability to adhere to the wall but didn't have a problem with any of these.
A note regarding Micro-Scale kits. They don't include wood for bracing. Their idea is to build the walls around the floors leaving the walls flexible and possibly warped until the final assembly. I have chosen to ignore this approach and brace just like other kits.
I am using the same color scheme as the original kind of just because the person I am building this kit likes that way. However, I just can't stand the cream color the Micro-Scale owners are in love with so I am replacing three color scheme with two eliminating the cream. I may get my hands slapped for it but so be it. It is a hobby and I don't want to be building something that I hate.
Here are some progress pictures.

Vilius

MAP

Hi Vilius,
I'll be following along.  You're correct...I haven't seen a build thread on one of Micro-Scale's kits, so this should be interesting.  I have their creamery kit so any tidbits of information on what to do/not do will be helpful.
Mark

ACL1504

Villius,

I have a few of the MS kits so I'll follow along as well. Looks like a great kit.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jimmillho

Mark Dalrymple

You've sparked my interest as well, Villius!  I've considered buying one or two of their kits many times.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hi Villius:

I have several of Don's kits. They are very well done and pretty easy to assemble. Your walls look great and I like the color scheme. Don't think I have that kit. Maybe I will buy it next time I see Don. Anyway you are right not to many of his kits are built on the net. I will be watching with great interest.

I have to of the short stone freight stations. Going to try to kit-bash them into A full size Reading RR freight station. We shall see how that goes. It has plaster walls.

Karl

Vilius

Thank you everyone for visiting my challenge thread. Now I have all windows, doors, and shutters installed. Good thing I started with the right wall. The one that has two second floor windows very close to each other. The shutters are not designed to go with these windows because of two little bumps at the top and the bottom of each side, so at first I had a little gap between the windows and the shutters. However, after I tried fitting two shutters in the narrow space and couldn't I decided to remove the bumps. Since I started with the right wall I had just few shutters to re-install. I also cut of the bumps of first floor window what I wasn't supposed to do because the shutters are designed exactly for that style of window. I hope it isn't too noticeable.
I still ended up re-installing good third of the shutters because they really have top side and the bottom side so I had some of them upside down. Nobody would have noticed most likely but I would have known...
Next I am going to install the window "glass". Unlike some modelers I know I do not dread this task. I employ the technology and one or two tricks which make my life much easier.

Vilius

postalkarl

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: MAP on September 26, 2016, 04:00:05 PM
Hi Vilius,
I'll be following along.  You're correct...I haven't seen a build thread on one of Micro-Scale's kits, so this should be interesting.  I have their creamery kit so any tidbits of information on what to do/not do will be helpful.

I'll be following along as well.  I have a church kit of theirs I'd like to build someday so this will help.   ;)

Everything looks great so far!   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NEMMRRC

Don't build anything you hate.

That says it all.

Cool.

Jaime.

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Looking good so far.  I hope you'll share your window install tips with us.  :)
Jeff