Nitro Pass and Okanagan HO Scale Layout Tour

Started by donweixl, October 03, 2016, 11:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donweixl

Hello. I have recently been introduced to this forum by Frank Baker. I would like to share photos of my 12' x 15' 2 level HO scale layout.

The first photo is an overall shot taken from the access hatch beside the 3 turn helix.

donweixl

A few more overall layout photos. This is the view when you enter the layout room which is underneath our sunken living room:

This view shows the small yard at Nitro Junction which is just before the helix:

The village of Routledge can be seen at the end of this aisle view:

ak-milw

I like what I have seen so far, and welcome to the forum.

Janbouli

Welcome Don, from what I have seen so far that is one great layout, please show us more , because we love photo's  ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

Don,

Welcome to the forum. Your layout looks great and we do love pictures.

Again welcome.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Beautiful presentation. I love the curved fascia and neat panels. Great layout!

John

GPdemayo

Great looking layout Don.....welcome to the forum.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Welcome Don;

I am glad that decided to join us. I think that you will find a great group of friendly and talented modelers from all over here on this forum. As many have already said, we really do appreciate photos, stories on trsins and other related hobby interests.

To let everyone know, Now we have known each other for many years, thru a mutual friend - Doug Hole, another great Canadian modeler. We need to try to get Doug to join us as well. For those of us that have been around a while, you might remember the work of Doug Hole in Mainline Modeler. Don was the photographer for much, if not all of Doug's work. Years ago, when I was switching to DCC, I gave Don all my Onboard analog decoders, etc. And that was a while ago. Don does beautiful work and works in several other transportation modeling as well. We need to convince him to show us some of those other models as well. While this is a train forum, we always like to see the different areas of modeling that are being done by our friends.

I especially enjoy the concrete snow/ rock slide sheds that Don has built on his layout. For any of you that have may taken the Rocky Moiuntaineer train thru western Canada, these structures are near the Fraser River Bridge, I believe. Don has captured the real feeling that they portray. Somewhere in this box we call a computer, I have pictures of them. Now I am going to have to find them!!!

Don, as always good to see your wonderful work. Please try to convince Doug to join us. You guys do magnificent work and I am sure that everyone on this forum would really like to see more.

All the best,

Frank Baker / Erieman   

donweixl

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome and encouraging words. As a professional photographer by trade, I have no shortage of photos. You will probably be wanting me to stop posting photos at some point!

The rock shed tunnels Frank refers to are called the Skoonka tunnels and they are on the CN mainline west of Spences Bridge British Columbia. I cast the various pieces in hydrocal using wood molds made from stripwood glued to plywood. I had an article published in the January 1997 RMC on this technique which I borrowed from CC Crow.

Janbouli

I'm glad Frank mentioned those snow sheds/ tunnels , they look awesome. Love how the wood molds gave it that concrete like texture.

donweixl

Here are a couple close up photos.
The first is the engine house at the yard at Janesville. The engine house is a Walther's kit. The snowplow is a wood craftsman kit that I inherited partially built. I do not know the manufacturer. The RS-1 is by Atlas. I added the grab irons etc..

A Canadian Pacific C Liner ( Proto 1000) idles beside the oil tank at the Janesville yard:

Powersteamguy1790

Welcome to the forum Don. :) Your layout looks fantastic.

Stay cool and run steam..... 8) 8)

Janbouli

At first glance I thought the photo with the snowplow was the real thing , well done.

S&S RR

Don

Welcome to the forum! Your layout, your structures,  and your photographs are great!  I'm really looking forward to your future posts.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ak-milw

Quote from: S&S RR on October 05, 2016, 07:29:48 PM
Don

Welcome to the forum! Your layout, your structures,  and your photographs are great!  I'm really looking forward to your future posts.

Ditto