Nitro Pass and Okanagan HO Scale Layout Tour

Started by donweixl, October 03, 2016, 11:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Mark Dalrymple

Beautiful work, Don!  I love your rock shed tunnels!

Cheers, Mark.

R Edington

Nice layout and your rock sheds are stunning.

Rodney
Rodney

donweixl

Thank you to everyone who has commented on my posts so far. To give some perspective, I am posting my track plan. My room size is approximately 12 x 15 feet.

Here is the lower level:

This is the upper level:

ACL1504

Don,

The room size fooled me, the layout looks much bigger. Beautiful job on the layout and the use of available space.

Fantastic picture vistas.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

donweixl

Thanks Tom. The ceiling height is only 6'6" as the layout is located under our "sunken" living room. I am 5'9" so that is not an issue but taller visitors have hit their heads on the valances...The lower ceiling also makes hiding the room lighting a bit more difficult than rooms with a higher ceiling.

donweixl

Here are a few construction photos from 1991:

The room before construction started in August of 1991:

The view from the entrance in November 1991:

The helix in November 1991:

Misc. construction photos:

Janbouli

Great looking track plan. I hope you're not 6foot 3 like I am , would make me pretty uneasy with the ceiling only 3 inches above me.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ak-milw

Don, Great use of space in the room, I also like the floor to ceiling shot in the mountains.

Powersteamguy1790

Beautiful bench work Don. :)

Stay cool and run steam....... 8) 8)

sdrees

Hi Don,

I hope my layout looks as good as yours when I get the scenery done.  I am working on bench work and track work now.  Your bench work looks vey nice.  Your mountains look great and I like your concrete snow sheds.  In other words, I like your whole layout.
Steve Drees
SP RR

donweixl

Making the benchwork was one of my favourite parts of the building process. It helped that I had splurged for a new chop saw and table saw, my first ever tools of that type. The fun part about building benchwork is how quickly you can make progress. The not so fun part is all the sawdust and noise that you create. Luckily we didn't have any young kids at this point so the noise wasn't a huge issue.

One thing I remember is that using a jig saw to cut out the hole for the ash pit after track was laid was pretty destructive....all the vibration could not be avoided.

S&S RR

Don

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of the benchwork and track plan - you have really done a nice job with your layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jbvb

What John said.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
James