Hotel and Grill

Started by Random, December 02, 2016, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random

Thanks.

I used the end of a small ruler to fold the newspapers.  Wasn't too bad as they are single sheet so there is only one fold.

I did a bit more work with the magazines and the news stand.

I also added a cash register and placed the front wall of the stand into the building base.  I still need to add a back wall with merch and a clerk.  I also realized that I managed to make the counter a bit too tall.  I am considering adding a raised area in front of the counter to adjust for that. 

I also attached the main sign to the front of the building.

The pool table has also been installed in the restaurant area.  Its a bit hard to see and is to the left of the main dining area.

I need to add window glazing.  I'm thinking of using slide cover glass for the big windows so that you can see the dining room interior.  I also need to add roof details, finish out the signage, and do something about the shoe shine area.

Its coming along.

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

GPdemayo

Perfect Roger.....looks just like the news stands I saw in Manhattan when I was a kid.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Roger,

Beautiful work sir. Well done all the way.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Roger, that news stand is a delightful mini-scene -- very creative. The whole establishment works very nicely.

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Lynnb

Nailed it on the News Stand, perfect. ;)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

adm.nelson

Roger, just went through the entire posting. You've done a fantastic job. Everything looks great.

If I may, I'd like to offer one suggestion, beer bottles, or coke bottles on the tables. I bought about 1000 of them from Shapeways. Since they are clear, you can paint a clear paint on them and they look like they have liquid in them. https://www.shapeways.com/product/R4YE2WLNZ/ho-bottles-and-crates-10ea?optionId=61889914 is one he still makes but with crates. If I remember, Shapeways put the price up so high on the 1000 lot since I bought them, that he took that down. But I found these ones also: https://www.shapeways.com/product/LAVCDUM2X/beer-bottle-1-87?optionId=60468960&li=marketplace

Really enjoyed seeing what you have done, especially the tables and chairs.

Random

Somewhere in my parts I have a set of dishes.  I was thinking coffee cups.   

As this was apparently glazing week (see my stone station build) I started on this building as well.  I wanted the picture windows for the restaurant to be clear so no canopy-glue-wavy-glass here.  I used microscope slide glass to make the large windows.  I scored the slides with an old xacto blade and then snapped them over a large metal pin. 

The manager needs to get someone to clean the smudges off the windows so that passers by can have a nice view of the facilities.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

vinceg

Quote from: Random on April 18, 2018, 06:57:10 PM
Somewhere in my parts I have a set of dishes.  I was thinking coffee cups.   

As this was apparently glazing week (see my stone station build) I started on this building as well.  I wanted the picture windows for the restaurant to be clear so no canopy-glue-wavy-glass here.  I used microscope slide glass to make the large windows.  I scored the slides with an old xacto blade and then snapped them over a large metal pin. 

The manager needs to get someone to clean the smudges off the windows so that passers by can have a nice view of the facilities.

Cheers.

Fantastic scene, Roger. Love the pool table. What did you use for billiard balls - maybe round cake sprinkles or something like that?

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

postalkarl

Hi Random:

Nice interior. Especially the pool table.

Karl

Random

The balls are part of the casting.  I purchased it along with some very 1800s looking figures second hand so I don't know who made it.  I believe there are still similar castings available.  I've seen them with the balls racked and in play, as with this one.

Thanks

Roger Hines

Oldguy

The pool table could have been from SS LTD.  Nowadays one can only get the pool hall interior - http://scale-structures.com/brands/SS-LTD-Detail-Parts.html?page=9&sort=featured.  But then there are purveyors of scale pool tables a lot cheaper,
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

S&S RR

Roger

Fantastic modeling. I love all the detail.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Random

Some roof details and a little weathering on the sign and things are starting to come together.

A bit more weathering and I added some window glass.  Two window frames have been trimmed to model the windows open.  The one to the right needs the window frame painted in at the bottom of the glass.

I need to add window shades and curtains to finish off the windows.  I also still need to build a shoe shine stand and add a few signs.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Janbouli

Every time I see those signs I'm thinking they couldn't have been done better.
I love photo's, don't we all.