Mclachlan Hat factory

Started by fsmcollector67, December 08, 2016, 10:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsmcollector67

Marty,
The old Basswood is pretty tough, even on one end, I have only maybe an 1/8" between windows, and the wood held up. Did not even warp real bad when I stained it. I probably will have to have a mortgage on this property.....thanks for the comment.
Loren....
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Twopoint2

Loren great job on cutting out all of the windows.

fsmcollector67

Jim,
Thanks....It was not as bad as I had thought.....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Hey All....just a few small things today, First I did a test for the sidewalk, just have to cut back on the cracks....came out pretty good? Also got the smokestack pretty much done, still trying to find that perfect brick painting combo, it will have to do...till next time ....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Howdy All...Back again, been awhile. I have been busy working on staining, and bracing the wall sections. I also have been working on the 199 windows as well. I have a couple of wall sections glued together. The small items, are some things that I am going to cast for an upper floor interior. The cone shape item is a copy of a machine used to form the hat bodies. On a side note, earlier this week I was lucky enough to be able to acquire the fine kit pictured below. The original owner had never even opened the box that it was shipped in from SRMW. Till next time....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

S&S RR

Loren

The build looks great - and congratulations on the future build.  I hope you will share the brick roundhouse build with us as well. Bob sure produced some great kits.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

fsmcollector67

John,
Thanks for the comment, the SRMW kit, will remain sealed, until it is time for me to part with it. 10-20 years hopefully. A future generation can still have it to build.
Loren..
9 Fingers Loren.....

tom.boyd.125

Loren, your large mill structure is really coming together. It will be a very impressive model when completed.  8)
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Loren,

Just getting caught up on the factory build. Beautiful work and the structure is very impressive. Well done, very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

fsmcollector67

Tommy, Tom,
Thanks for the great comments....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Hey All,
Just a small update today....I did some brick work. The first photos are of the old boiler house, this I painted with Bragdons used brick, to give a more of worn old look. I used Georgian clay, Heritage brick, Brick red for the individual brick colors. The mortar was done with Bragdons as well. The small structure is the base for the smokestack. This was painted with Brick red craft paint, and same individual brick colors mostly as the other. This I wanted to represent newer brick. Getting a little better at brick work, but still think I can do better. Just have to find that perfect mix.....till next time...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Howdy all...small update today, did a couple of scratch doors. The one on the boiler house is wood, and the metal freight door is made from plastic sheet, and strips.
Till next time...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

GPdemayo

Great looking brick corners Loren..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

rpdylan

I think the brick work looks fantastic! I like the way the metal door came out. Very nice work
Bob C.

fsmcollector67

Greg, Bob,
Thanks for the comments...Greg, it was a real pain to get those corners to as close to 45 deg. Had to use a little wall patch to fill in, and then scribe the lines again.
Loren..
9 Fingers Loren.....