Downtown Deco "DD1024" Background Flat

Started by PHQRR, February 20, 2014, 07:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHQRR

Not much construction to this really, once you get the windows in. Basically a chance to practice weathering to whatever extreme you wish to go... I had done the initial painting and weathering several months ago, but having sold the background flat I built out of stuff from Downtown Deco's Boneyard I decided to finish this one. It's 36" long and 2" deep. The casting on the right end (6 arched doors) fell on the floor and broke last Monday.
The signs are from a variety of magazines. The Coke, Champion, and Chevrolet signs are from a 1956 Nat.Geo., the electronics cos. are from a 1998 Speaker Builder, and the other three are from a 2013 issue of Wooden Boat. The Crownover and Air Gage signs are from freebie notepads.

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

PHQRR

Thanks Bob!

Putting on the blocking that holds it to the layout...1 X 2 X 30"long. It is glued to the bottom of the castings to tie them all together. I have drilled a series of holes in it that I push bamboo skewers through and into the foamboard. I'll glue the small building section on after I finish putting on more signs.

cuse

Great idea with the blocking, skewers and foam thingy

Thumbs up!

John

PHQRR

Thanks John.  I used the 1x2 on the Boneyard Flat because it kept coming apart, it makes it into a solid piece and easier to move.  The base with track is what the Boneyard flat was mounted on, it was going to be a switchback leg on my layout as it expands.

Dave K.

His boneyard castings are a great way to get something that's totally unique, and also good for practicing weathering hydrocal. I've used them as well. Nice job!

PHQRR

PHQRR

Decided that the background flat needs a loading dock in front of the 12 arched doors...