Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Jim and Karl

Thanks for stopping by. So far things are turning out the way I designed them using the clay mockup model.  I really like the mockup process for understanding the elevation changes.  I see more clay mockups in my future.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mkrailway

John, Do you ever get the feeling that you keep going around and around and around?

S&S RR

Quote from: MartyO on April 05, 2017, 11:30:22 PM
John, Do you ever get the feeling that you keep going around and around and around?

Yes - "all my life's a circle" - to quote Mr. Harry Chapin.
John Siekirk

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 06, 2017, 10:16:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLFbUbmH7To  (Johnny Cash)

dave

Another fine circle song. I know what I'm going to be hearing in my head while I'm finishing the helix.  ;D
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, Wayne Olson worked with me on the layout.  We made 214 more aspen trees and added most of them to the layout. I forgot to take a picture before I turned the lights out so pictures will have to wait for tomorrow. I'm just amazed at how many trees this layout can swallow up. We have planted over 1500 aspen trees so far.  Yes - I have been counting them as we make them.
John Siekirk

EricQuebec

Quote from: S&S RR on April 08, 2017, 08:21:33 PM
Today, Wayne Olson worked with me on the layout.  We made 214 more aspen trees and added most of them to the layout. I forgot to take a picture before I turned the lights out so pictures will have to wait for tomorrow. I'm just amazed at how many trees this layout can swallow up. We have planted over 1500 aspen trees so far.  Yes - I have been counting them as we make them.
You're crazy guy  :).... but are we don't too ?  ;)
Eric Quebec city

tom.boyd.125

John,
Spring is a great time for planting new trees ... Sounds like you have been busy making scenery for the S&S !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the area we where working on yesterday. The Plateau in the background is where we added the new trees.  In the foreground you can see the trees that are ready for planting. Somewhere in the new batch is Aspen tree number 1500.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The process we use to make the trees is described in the volume one S&S RR thread if you are interested.  The process we are using to plant the trees is working very well for creating the depth I'm looking for.  You will notice that we are sorting the trees by size with the very smallest being used in the farthest location from the viewer on the the layout. You have to pay attention to both height and trunk diameter. It really helps to have a second set of eyes when your doing this.  In my case, my good friend Wayne Olson is my eyes in the isle way and I'm crawling around on the mountain doing the planting. I know it's hard to see in the picture but as we plant the trees it looks like we are moving the backdrop farther away from the isle way. In this scene the trains will be running through the aspen forest at two different elevations. The trees are trimmed so the train will be visible with only the trunks of the trees blocking the view of the train.  I will dig out my prototype pictures and post them in the coming weeks as we finish this scene. So thats the look we are trying to achieve - time will tell if we pull it off.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a closeup of the trees on the plateau where you can see the track work behind the trees.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on April 08, 2017, 09:05:23 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on April 08, 2017, 08:21:33 PM
You're crazy guy  :) .... but are we don't too ?  ;)
Eric Quebec city

I have never met a modeler that didn't qualify for crazy. ;D ;)   Thanks for stopping by the thread Eric.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on April 09, 2017, 03:25:40 AM
John,
Spring is a great time for planting new trees ... Sounds like you have been busy making scenery for the S&S !
Tommy

Tommy

Thanks for stopping by the thread and yes spring is a great time for planting trees.  In this case we have the production of a long winter to get planted on the layout.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Beautiful job. I especially like the rock slide under the trestle bridge. Are you going to add water to that scene?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision