Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This is just one of those things I needed to play with and let it sit overnight.  I'll decide in the morning which way I want to go.  What do you think?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Janbouli

Imho John  it doesn't look right, it looks like someone brushed dirt onto the stones instead of the stones being a slightly different color.
I love photo's, don't we all.

jerryrbeach

John,
I think you need to add more color variation to the stone.  I've included links to stone painting tips on Monster Modelworks and New England Brownstone.  Jimmy Simmons even distinguishes between western stone and eastern stone.
I've attached a photo of a small plaster boiler house I painted.  I used thinned acrylics to pick out individual stones, using a few very light coats until I got the subtle differences I thought looked realistic.  Hope this helps.

http://www.monstermodelworks.com/_download_files/BlockDryStackedStone.pdf

https://www.nebrownstone.com/blog/painting-new-england-brownstone-castings/
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on January 25, 2018, 06:07:50 AM
Imho John  it doesn't look right, it looks like someone brushed dirt onto the stones instead of the stones being a slightly different color.

Jan

Thanks for giving me your opinion - and yes I agree.  I was leaning towards sticking with the gray stone but thought I would see if I anyone would post their thoughts.  This morning I went back and looked at my pictures from George Sellios' and Bob VanGelder's layouts and they have the gray stone walls like my original.  I've always liked they way theirs looked and tried to copy it for mine. So, a stone wall with a variety of colors will wait for another build.
I have drawn one conclusion from this little experiment.  You need to get the color variation with the sponge and acrylic paint technique and use the chalks as a blend.  To use your words - the chalks as a base color look like you rubbed dirt on the stone. Thanks again for responding and following along Jan.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on January 25, 2018, 07:40:42 AM
John,
I think you need to add more color variation to the stone.  I've included links to stone painting tips on Monster Modelworks and New England Brownstone.  Jimmy Simmons even distinguishes between western stone and eastern stone.
I've attached a photo of a small plaster boiler house I painted.  I used thinned acrylics to pick out individual stones, using a few very light coats until I got the subtle differences I thought looked realistic.  Hope this helps.

http://www.monstermodelworks.com/_download_files/BlockDryStackedStone.pdf

https://www.nebrownstone.com/blog/painting-new-england-brownstone-castings/

Jerry

Thanks for following along and posting the references. I really like the look of the varied color stone walls and will use them on a future build.  I have the roundhouse all built and it's to late to change to that technique for this build because I want the two structures to match.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I finished putting the windows in the roof sheds and put all the pieces together for a test fit of the Locomotive Works.

Here are a few pictures with everything sitting in place.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have some trimming to do on the roof cards and then it will be time to add the roofing. I keep hitting the yellow paint with A&I to tone it down. It may just need another dose on some of the surfaces.  After going back and looking and the pictures of Bob VanGelder's and George Sellios' Stone Roundhouse builds I've decided to leave the the coloring of the stone alone. I will be doing some more work with the eraser to let the gray show through more in some areas. After the roofing is complete it will be time for the details.  I made some progress on completing the brick floor and plan on finishing it tomorrow.  Then, I will build the wall that separates the two bays and the wood floor for the machine shop. I'm going to use pastel chalk and Alcohol to color the individual wood blanks for the floor.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of where I left off with the brick floor.  The super glue I used to put down the track left some shinny residue that I need to take care of. I lightly weathered the brick floor that will be along the wall - no traffic area - workbenches and shelving will occupy this area. I will leave the final weathering until the castings are all mounted in place.

John Siekirk

EricQuebec

Very nice progress on this engine house. As always, your work is very inspiring.
Eric

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on January 26, 2018, 07:35:50 AM
Very nice progress on this engine house. As always, your work is very inspiring.
Eric

Eric

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I got an email asking me to post a picture of the Stone Roundhouse which is the companion building to the Locomotive Works.  So here you go. This is the view from the spot where the Locomotive Works will reside.

John Siekirk

deemery

John, I'm sure you explained this a while back, but why the "strange" open front on the loco shop?  Will this connect to the Roundhouse in some way?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 26, 2018, 01:54:02 PM
John, I'm sure you explained this a while back, but why the "strange" open front on the loco shop?  Will this connect to the Roundhouse in some way?

dave

Dave

The opening I think your referring to is the back of the Locomotive Works (see picture below). The front will have two doors the match the doors on the Roundhouse. This building will be the first structure you see as you inter the layout room.  It will be highly detailed in the interior which I didn't want to be only visible when you take the removable roof off.

So the story is,  the Locomotive Works is being remodeled to extend the building so the
new S2 4-8-4's can fit into the building for maintenance. The construction had to go on without interrupting the crucial work being done - so the build is set in time where the construction is at the stage of building the back stone wall. The structure is designed to carry this theme including the seam on the floor were the bricks will change from the highly weathered bricks of the old building to the newer, less weathered bricks in the new section. In the next few posts, I will try to describe the scene with some progress shot pictures. The partial stone wall that you see in this picture will be complete with scaffolding and stone masons working to complete the build while the machinists and locomotive repairman are busy keeping the railroad running on the inside. The back of the building will also have the loading docks, boiler house, and a scrap yard.

John Siekirk