Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

We got back to work on the Eagles Nest Yard, today.  Wayne Olson spent the day with me. Ballast for the new track and some paint refresh on the warehouse building.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Next, it's time to get the benchwork ready for the 8 F&SM kits that will occupy this area.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

And I even let Wayne use the power tools, with appropriate supervision. ;) 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The benchwork in this area will have two removable panels for the occasions when we need to work on the track in on the upper level or on the turntable and roundhouse.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I need to get the roof details done for the warehouse.  Roof top water tanks and some elevator shaft houses, etc. I think a bird watcher looking at the Eagles Nest might be a nice mini scene. The roof details will be the most visible part of this area once the structures go in in front.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

For the next few weeks I will be concentrating on the Threadwell's and Delabarre builds so I thought I would post a link to the build threads if you want to see what I'm up to on the Superior & Seattle Railroad.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=3796.360
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I started building the loading dock doors for the Delabarre build and got inspired to scratch build the doors for the locomotive works. One of the tasks on my finishing list for that build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is a process picture with three of the doors rough trimmed and the forth partially glued together. The cardboard template is used to cut the doors to shape. Final shaping of the round trim piece on the top of the doors was done with a number 11 blade in the exacto knife and a sanding stick.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I got the first coat of paint on the Locomotive Works doors today.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Another coat of paint, some hinges, and some weathering and these doors will be ready to go on the front of the Locomotive works.  Next on the list for this build is the signs for the front and maybe the side.
John Siekirk

deemery

John, are you doing working hinges?  I remember struggling with design and execution, but on my stone CM (Model Masterpieces) roundhouse was able to get hinges that worked.  They're too fragile for normal operations, though.   The basic idea is L-shaped hinge pins stuck in the stonework door frames, and small thin tubing that fits over the hinge pin as the hinge barrel.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on November 12, 2018, 09:18:09 AM
John, are you doing working hinges?  I remember struggling with design and execution, but on my stone CM (Model Masterpieces) roundhouse was able to get hinges that worked.  They're too fragile for normal operations, though.   The basic idea is L-shaped hinge pins stuck in the stonework door frames, and small thin tubing that fits over the hinge pin as the hinge barrel.

dave

Dave

I thought of making working hinges but decided that they are way to close to the edge of the layout and too big of a temptation for little hands (the Grandkids). I have the same hinges that I used on the stone roundhouse and plan on modeling them in the open position.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

My grandson is starting is first kit build - it is the stone shed from Grandpa George's last FSM kit. He is 2 and one half years only - which is almost three - just ask him.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

We are using four different colors of Rembrandt chalk pigments with alcohol to color the stones.
John Siekirk