Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I got back on the layout today - worked all day on the HOn3 Yard. I have it 90 percent laid out and plan on starting the track work tomorrow.  I should have some pictures to post by the end of the day.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

As I'm finishing up the track work for this part of the layout, (expansions planned but will not be implemented until the current sections of the layout are complete) I have decided to take a few days and reorganize my workshop.  I have spent some time with some very good modelers over the years and have come to the conclusion that most of us spend a whole lot of time looking for stuff. It's not just me.  ;)  I have detail parts that I have picked up at conventions etc. stuffed in many many places all around the shop. The plan is to number all the cabinets and organize stuff in logical locations. I bought a label maker and will also be inventorying everything on my computer so I can search digitally next time for that horizontal steam engine that I just spent 2 hours looking for.  I just bought it a couple months ago.  Yes - it will take some discipline to keep it up. I'll post a few pictures when I get this project completed.  I figure it will save me a lot of time down the road.
John Siekirk

deemery

Just remember to leave your drawers/containers sparsely filled.  I usually make the mistake of packing everything in tight, and then when I need to add something the whole organization scheme falls apart!  (And as a computer scientist, I -should know better-, since the effects of overflow on packed data structures is something we study pretty early on.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on May 04, 2017, 06:40:47 PM
Just remember to leave your drawers/containers sparsely filled.  I usually make the mistake of packing everything in tight, and then when I need to add something the whole organization scheme falls apart!  (And as a computer scientist, I -should know better-, since the effects of overflow on packed data structures is something we study pretty early on.)

dave

Dave

Thanks for the good advice. A big goal of this project is to know just what I have - I have already found a couple kits I didn't remember buying. I have been buying stuff at shows for this layout for 25 years and, well, the memory isn't as good as it once was. I think this is going to be time well spent.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hi John:

The helix is coming along. It look like a lot of work.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on May 05, 2017, 07:41:42 AM
Hi John:

The helix is coming along. It look like a lot of work.

Karl

Karl

Thanks for stopping by.  Yes - the helix has been a lot of work - this is the third and final helix required to complete my track plan.  I'm looking forward to completing it and getting back to structure building. Getting close.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Hey John

Just getting caught up again.  Rock work is dead on great coloring.

Helix is taking shape an it looks like your ready to run freight.

Keep up the great work and sending those pictures.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on May 06, 2017, 01:14:12 PM
Hey John

Just getting caught up again.  Rock work is dead on great coloring.

Helix is taking shape an it looks like your ready to run freight.

Keep up the great work and sending those pictures.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  I have a few more progress pictures to post tonight.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few progress shots from the last few days.

A picture of the board going in for the surface of the HOn3. Once again the iPad is a great tool to make sure it is level in all directions.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Playing with elevation and views.  The tape measure is a proposed location and grade for a future road.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

At this point, I'm figuring out were and at what height I want to add the plywood base shelves that will hold the foam bases for the sections of the city that will be built on top of the helix.  The HOn3 yard and on 1/4 of one loop of the helix will be all the track work that will be visible in this area.  The rest will be a very detailed eye level city. I will modify the clay mock-up that I built for this area with the changes and use it to decide on structure, road, and scenery placement.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I sure have a lot of tools to pickup when this project is complete. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Yes - I have a plan to hide the ugly corner.  This is the only place I didn't add a curved backdrop,  I wanted the space for structures.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Looking good. What's the grade that your tape measure is indicating?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision