Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Dave K. on July 29, 2018, 06:46:36 AM
That is really great how you included your dad's cabinetry into yours. They'll always be looking over your shoulder as you work!   Your thread continues to inspire.

Dave

Thanks for stopping by the thread. I also use a lot of my Dad's tools when I'm modeling.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

Nice job on the cabinet, John.  In an earlier picture, you have a set of finger drills.  Are those the ones from Micro-Mark?  How do you like them?  Are the bits easy to change out?

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 29, 2018, 08:36:21 AM
Nice job on the cabinet, John.  In an earlier picture, you have a set of finger drills.  Are those the ones from Micro-Mark?  How do you like them?  Are the bits easy to change out?

Jeff

Jeff

I have a set of finger drills that I mounted in a wood block to protect the drills.  I think they are the ones you are referring to. Yes they are from Micro-Mark - they come permanently mounted in a holder so if you break the drill your buying the holder again, too. :(  I really like them for the 60-80 size drills. Easy to use and your not spending all your time picking the little drill bit up off the floor trying to mount it in a holder. Yes, I have a magnet to help find them under the workbench. For drills larger than 60 I prefer to use the collet. Let me know if this answers your questions.
John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, John.  Those are the one's I'm referring to.  I do tend to break the smaller (#70s) size bits.  I think I'll get several pin vises for them, rather than change out the bits each time.

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 29, 2018, 10:04:23 AM
Thanks, John.  Those are the one's I'm referring to.  I do tend to break the smaller (#70s) size bits.  I think I'll get several pin vises for them, rather than change out the bits each time.

Jeff

That will work but it's hard to find pin vises that will close small enough to handle the 70-80 size
bits.
John Siekirk

deemery

I used to break small drill bits all the time, particularly #79 for grabirons, etc.  Craig Bisgeier clued me into a pistol grip handheld rechargeable low RPM screwdriver.  To go with that, I bought a bunch of the Micro-Mark hex shank micro drill chucks.  (I tried "train show tool booth" versions, but they're not sufficiently accurate/true.  Pay the $ for Micro-Mark quality, and note you get a discount if you order more than 3.)  I also buy good quality bits in bulk from Amazon.  I push the bit into beeswax every 6-8 cuts (should do this more frequently, but I get lazy :-) )

I now have 10 of these chucks, with the most common sizes of bits "permanently" clamped into them.  I went from breaking 2 bits/model to 1 bit/every 3 models or so (depending on how hard the resin is, old Westerfield kits used tough resin, and drilling into PC boards also dulls the bits quickly.) 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on July 29, 2018, 04:31:13 PM
I used to break small drill bits all the time, particularly #79 for grabirons, etc.  Craig Bisgeier clued me into a pistol grip handheld rechargeable low RPM screwdriver.  To go with that, I bought a bunch of the Micro-Mark hex shank micro drill chucks.  (I tried "train show tool booth" versions, but they're not sufficiently accurate/true.  Pay the $ for Micro-Mark quality, and note you get a discount if you order more than 3.)  I also buy good quality bits in bulk from Amazon.  I push the bit into beeswax every 6-8 cuts (should do this more frequently, but I get lazy :-) )

I now have 10 of these chucks, with the most common sizes of bits "permanently" clamped into them.  I went from breaking 2 bits/model to 1 bit/every 3 models or so (depending on how hard the resin is, old Westerfield kits used tough resin, and drilling into PC boards also dulls the bits quickly.) 

dave

Dave

Thank you for passing along your technique. I find I'm better off using my fingers when it comes to the small drill bits. I do go through them. I buy them by the dozen.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

I love the new work bench and all the drawers.

The "drawers" word reminded me of an incident I was involved in while working on the police department.

I was dispatched to an office where an overnight burglary occurred. At the time, I was working as the CSI guy. The office had three women at their respective desks all of which were pried open and ransacked.

I approached the first desk and said to the secretary, "I'll need you to move so I can inspect your drawers." She simply said, "Should I leave them on or take them off?"

We all looked at each other and burst out laughing. True story. Oh, by the way, I only touched the deck drawers.

Being in law enforcement sure had it's fun at times.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 30, 2018, 06:43:51 PM
John,

The "drawers" word reminded me of an incident I was involved in while working on the police department.

I was dispatched to an office where an overnight burglary occurred. At the time, I was working as the CSI guy. The office had three women at their respective desks all of which were pried open and ransacked.

I approached the first desk and said to the secretary, "I'll need you to move so I can inspect your drawers." She simply said, "Should I leave them on or take them off?"

We all looked at each other and burst out laughing. True story. Oh, by the way, I only touched the deck drawers.

Tom ;D

Great story Tom. It's great to be retired and be able to laugh about these stories. The workbench will hopefully help with my modeling efficiency. I'm so tied of spending time looking for stuff.
John Siekirk

BandOGuy

Quote from: S&S RR on July 30, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
John,

Tom ;D

Great story Tom. It's great to be retired and be able to laugh about these stories. The workbench will hopefully help with my modeling efficiency. I'm so tied of spending time looking for stuff.

John,
Wait 'til you get to be my age. You'll get tired of forgetting which thing you've lost/misplaced that you were looking for.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

S&S RR

Quote from: BandOGuy on July 30, 2018, 10:30:02 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 30, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
John,

Tom ;D

John,
Wait 'til you get to be my age. You'll get tired of forgetting which thing you've lost/misplaced that you were looking for.

Trust me it is already and issue with me, now.
John Siekirk

deemery

My biggest problem is my inability to put my damn tools away when I'm done with them.  I'd pay someone to follow me around and pick up stuff. :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 01, 2018, 02:43:23 PM
My biggest problem is my inability to put my damn tools away when I'm done with them.  I'd pay someone to follow me around and pick up stuff. :-)

dave

Yup, I understand.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Well, the tools and materials are all put away in the new and improved workbench. It's ready for my next build project. But first, I'm going to finish all the detailing and layout scenery around the builds from last winter. Like I said a few days ago, I came back to about a dozen unfinished projects.

John Siekirk