Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donatode

S&S RR

Quote from: Donato on October 31, 2017, 12:50:59 PM
Outstanding work as usual John. Thank you.

Donato

Thanks for the kind words - I'm finishing the scenery in the area near the trestle and then I will be able to plant my last 4 builds on the layout - it has been a long time coming.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

LongHornCaddy

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have spent the last 6 days traveling to and attending the EXPO.  I had a real nice time at the EXPO and brought back some supplies and ideas to try on the layout.  The best part of the EXPO is spending some time with forum members and exchanging ideas. Today, I stored away all of the goodies that I bought and spent some time evaluating all of the design ideas that where going through my head while I was doing all that driving.  I will take some pictures and share what I'm up too in the next few days.

John Siekirk

LongHornCaddy

postalkarl

John:

Looks great. You think it will still be standing by the time your done. Just beautiful weathering.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on November 09, 2017, 07:49:58 AM
John:

Looks great. You think it will still be standing by the time your done. Just beautiful weathering.

Karl

Karl

Thanks - as for how long it will be standing????  I don't build at Karl speed so I may get some natural weathering affects. ;) ;)  Thanks for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm back at the Locomotive Works build and the Mackenzie build.  I should be far enough along to take some progress pictures by the end of the day. Yesterday, I made the rest of the castings I need for the Locomotive works interior. I enlisted the help of some high quality design expertise for the roof design, after making a few cardboard mock-ups that I didn't like. I'll post some pictures of what came in a box while I was at the EXPO, later in the day.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

So, on the locomotive works design I tried a number of  different roof types, flat with a second story, tapered with and without a second story, a barn style second story (three different heights), etc.  Each time I made a cardboard mock-up and each time I came to the conclusion it wasn't what I was looking for. 
I decided to take advantage of our forum connections and called Frank Baker "ERIEMAN".  Frank has a background in architectural design so I asked him if I could send him some pictures and get his opinion.
He agreed to take a look and agreed with me that what I was coming up with didn't work. He said he wanted a few days to think about it and the next thing I know he is sending me a cardboard mockup that will fit right on my building.  This is why I love posting on the forum.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of Frank's mockup on top of the locomotive works.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have more explaining to do and more pictures - after dinner.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The idea behind this design is to keep from overwhelming the roundhouse and yard. Adding a second story with a high bay area just didn't look right.  The story behind this build is that the S&S RR has just added on to the Locomotive Works to accommodate the new S4 Locomotives.  In fact, the construction is still underway and the back of the building is still under construction.  It will be detailed as full operational with the construction crew finishing the stonework on the back.  The structure will be fully detailed inside and out.  The last couple of days I made thin castings for the interior stonework.  The following set of progress photographs shows how some of the future views of the details will work.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

First a few pictures of the build up of Frank's roof design.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk