Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Lynnb

Looks fantastic, what method did you use for the rusty roofs?
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Janbouli

Great weathering of the roofs John , what would you say is the difference between the pastel chalks and the pigments ?
I love photo's, don't we all.

Jerry

Hey John that came mighty fine! Great job on the roof.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on March 25, 2018, 10:50:01 PM
Looks fantastic, what method did you use for the rusty roofs?

Thank you. The roof was done with the new textured paper metal roofing instead of the traditional metal roofing from Campbell. The coloring was all done with chalks and pigments. If you go back a page or two I have posted some progress photographs.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

I decided to go with the paper roofing because I thought it would hold up better if something touches it.  This structure is going to be right on the edge of the layout. One of the problems I have had with the Campbell roofing in the past is the primer popping off and taking the weathering with it if anything touches it. The paper passed the application and coloring test - if it holds up well on this build it will become my material of choice. I do have a lot of the Campbell stuff to use up - for background buildings. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on March 26, 2018, 06:34:55 AM
Great weathering of the roofs John , what would you say is the difference between the pastel chalks and the pigments ?

Jan

The only difference to me is the color.  I use them interchangeably. The only issue is when I'm using them dry I like the texture to be really fine. I sometimes get out the mortar and pestle to achieve it. This would be even more of an issue for you in N scale.

I also, always try to use three shade of color.  In this case, I used two base coats and threes shades of the red/brown rust color.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on March 26, 2018, 12:35:55 PM
Hey John that came mighty fine! Great job on the roof.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the complement - it is much appreciated.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The coloring of this roof needed to meet my time frame (1949).  Although, there is an addition being added to the structure,  the story is that this is the roof that was put on the building before the depression and war. It is still keeping the rain out so it was not replaced with the addition to the back of the Locomotive Works. It's showing the rust, with most of the original finish gone, but hasn't rusted through, yet.  The building originally had an overhanging roof off the back - the extra stone work was done to accommodate the new longer Steam Locomotives  with warm dry service space.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

So here is a picture of my Mod Podge pond after 3 days of drying. Has anyone ever had this problem? I know I went a little heavy on the second coat but the cloudy look is going away about a 1/4 inch a day. My original plan was to put down a couple base coats and then add the green scum coloring - and then add more coats until I got the depth I'm looking for.  I also see some bubbles as Lynn mentioned.  At this point I wish I would have used EnviroTex. Any suggestions?

John Siekirk

Lynnb

John I guess I had missed all your March 25 roof updates, I now see all your steps. I had recieved some of that type of roofing in a one of my Bar Mills kits. I also was a bit leary about using it compared to the Campbell roofing but it went well and I found once I had a good primer / base color down , I think I used a tinted polly scale rust or floquil rust and then also used some rembrant chalks and alchohol.
As for the Modge podge back when I was trying different things actually applied on the cured surface of envirotex I simply used my paint stripper gun and heated the surface a bit and the entire area lifted right up in pretty much one piece. Keep in mind its basicly transparent glue and water will probably loosen it right up. If I didn't mention the bubbles you probably would never had noticed. ;D
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on March 28, 2018, 02:15:22 PM
John I guess I had missed all your March 25 roof updates, I now see all your steps. I had recieved some of that type of roofing in a one of my Bar Mills kits. I also was a bit leary about using it compared to the Campbell roofing but it went well and I found once I had a good primer / base color down , I think I used a tinted polly scale rust or floquil rust and then also used some rembrant chalks and alchohol.
As for the Modge podge back when I was trying different things actually applied on the cured surface of envirotex I simply used my paint stripper gun and heated the surface a bit and the entire area lifted right up in pretty much one piece. Keep in mind its basicly transparent glue and water will probably loosen it right up. If I didn't mention the bubbles you probably would never had noticed. ;D

Thanks you for the follow-up post. I applied the Mod Podge on a surface that I would have used for EnviroTex. As of today (day four) the Mod Podge is curing but very very slowly.  Since I started down this path I'm going to try to make it work. If I have to I will lift the whole water scene up and start over but, like I said, I think it will cure and work out eventually.  I actually added more water and cattails to the scene today.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

A few months ago we had a discussion about the best way to old down the removable roof on models. I planed the space for velcro and today I added it.  I think it's going to work just fine.  A few pictures of how I implemented it.

John Siekirk