Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on April 28, 2018, 10:08:46 AM
Just incredible...
Always a pleasure to follow ths thread.
Eric

Eric

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. I hope to be able to take some finished scene photographs of this area this summer.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I just went though the posts I just made and I left out a step.  All of the LED's were tested and then I added long lead wires through the benchwork that will connect to a terminal board and power supply. I didn't take a picture. :-[  I will be posting pictures of this process as I power up the Locomotive Works. The next project. ;) :D
John Siekirk

Janbouli

Turning into gorgeous scenes John , what a great layout.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Mark Dalrymple

Looking fantastic, John!

That dog looks harmless!

Cheers, Mark.

engine909

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on April 28, 2018, 11:20:02 AM
Turning into gorgeous scenes John , what a great layout.

Jan

Thanks for stopping by the thread and the kind words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on April 29, 2018, 02:34:47 PM
Looking fantastic, John!

That dog looks harmless!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm learning the importance of elevation change in structure placement. Yes - the dog is the official greeter at Brambell's.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: engine909 on April 29, 2018, 03:38:41 PM
Beautiful modeling John. A joy to view.
ed

Ed

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 01, 2018, 06:21:17 PM
John,

WOWSER! Great stuff.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for stopping by and the kind words. It's good to see some structures getting installed.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I always have a modeling project that I take with me when I go to the S&S RR Northern Hqtrs. This year I have two - I plan on spending the evenings painting castings and designing the layout for the towns that will be located in two different areas of my layout. This picture is a panoramic view of the first area - the world kinda of bends here but you can get the idea of the view. The mountains and trees (the 3D backdrop) are almost done. The area that will comprise the town is 150 x 75 inches. The town will not be built on the flat plywood base (this is just a starting point) I will be cutting away section to allow ground level to go up and down as the final "design" requires. My design process is to start with photographs and mark them up with different ideas. I use both my iPad and old fashion pencils and hard copy photographs to do this. I then make a scale drawing of the layout plan view or footprint that I use to establish the boundaries as I build each section of the town. My current concept is to actually have two towns separated by a river. The town of VanGelder will be on the South side of the river and the town of Sellios will be on the North side of the river closest to the viewer. At this point I know the original concept for the area has ended up on the cutting room floor (you may remember a discussion of it a few years back in this thread). I know I want more elevation change and the structures will be more kit bashed than originally planned.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

If you scroll over to the far right in the picture above there is a mountain plateau that will be home to another town served by both both standard and narrow gauge railroads. The area for this town is 60 by 36 inches. This town will be called Gallent and the structures will contain lots of pieces from recent Sierra West Scale Models kits. The structures in all of the towns on the S&S RR will be combinations of pieces from all kit manufactures but the major theme for the three "name sake" towns will be obvious.

So as you can see there will be lots of planning work to do this summer - one of my favorite parts of the hobby.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The tunnel in the picture above is one of the view remaining pieces of my previous layout.  It will be covered by the land forms as the design for this town takes place. The picture above sure got dark as it was transformed to fit the forum.
John Siekirk

deemery

It might be cool if you could come up with some scenic approach to use that tunnel as an abandoned line.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on May 04, 2018, 11:01:47 AM
It might be cool if you could come up with some scenic approach to use that tunnel as an abandoned line.

dave

Dave

The thought has crossed my mine but I haven't come up with a way to make it work with the layout for the town.  It's on the idea list.  Thank you for following along and your input. If you look back a few pages I did do an abandoned line that goes under the Brambell's build.  I think this is the only other place that the old layout still shows.
John Siekirk