Stone Buildings

Started by Random, April 21, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Roger that is just some outstanding building and stone work.

I said in the beginning you must have the patience of a saint!  And saint hood prevailed.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Random

Thanks.

So did I mention the roof comes off as one unit? 

The next step is to support the track deck.  I decided to use posts so that any lighting I add later will flow though the building.  I do not intend to add a full interior but you never know.  So I laid out a pattern of support posts running under the tracks and to support the outer edges.  I made the braces from chipboard.  This deck will be free standing and removable.

The whole assembly dried over night and just took a trip to the paint booth for a basic coat of flat black.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

With the deck set in place I've been working on the station platforms.  They need more sanding to get them to sit correctly and then they will need to have detail carved into them.

Here is the view from the other side.  The platforms sit at step level of the passenger cars.

The approach bridges will be constructed using Atlas pier girders.  The track in this section is Atlas code 83 sectional track which will be soldered together.  This is so that the track will sit properly in the pier girders.  The ties on standard flex track are too wide to sit in the channel of the pier girders.

I also did some cutting to make the edge girders for the upper deck section.  These girders are cut away from Atlas plate girder bridges.

Here are the upper deck girders from another angle.

Here are the approaches for the other end of the station.  There are two more pier girders and two more main girders for the edges. 

Lots more work to do but its starting to take shape.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

tct855

Roger,

You are a true modeler in every sense of the word.  I've enjoyed your pictorial so far. Very interesting. In fact I've actually read over it twice start to current in the last week.  I like what your doing and the way that your doing it. Very cool and informative. I'm all eyes. :o  Thanx Thom...

engine909

Hello Roger, I was taught by a wise old man (my farther) before offering constructive criticism, at least I hope it is taken that way. It goes without saying, I like many others admire your modeling skills.
The time you take to achieve the amazing results are something most don't have the patience for.
Okay here I go, If my criticism is unfounded, I invite everyone to say so. I have broad shoulders.
I feel the stone work looks metallic, similar to a FSM metal casting. Now this could be my monitor.
If my comments are inappropriate, I apologize.
ed

Random

Ed,  your monitor might be out of adjustment.  If the white balance is off and the color washed out I could see how the walls might look metallic.  But, since these walls start with plaster castings and then various gray colors and some white dry brushing to "simulate the sun" per Dave Frary's painting philosophy you left me wondering if it ended up too metallic.  Fortunately, I had an unpainted FSM stone casting handy.  So here is a picture of the casting in front of my wall.  Lighting is my normal room lighting with a bit of sun coming though the work room window.  I think they are pretty different although some of the more heavily dry brushed spots have a similar luminiosity.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

engine909

Roger, Thank you for taking the time to respond. In looking at all pictures, I wish to report, only a few look metallic.
Conclusion the walls look GREAT. I may have to inquire on how to adjust my monitor. I know indoor, outdoor, this lighting, that lighting all make a difference.
It was nice that no one told me to keep my mouth shut.
Roger I will continue to follow.
With respect
ed

MASIGMON

Roger, In the movie Jaws the chief said you are going to need a bigger boat. I now say you are going to need a bigger room.  The station you are building is outstanding.  Good that the roof on the station is removable for cleaning.
Thank you for sharing this build with us.

Mike Sigmon

Random

In model railroading you always need a bigger room.  Mine is far too small for what I'd like to do.  This station is currently going on a 2 foot square base that will add into a 2 x 4 foot module.  From there, we will see.  I have space for a display oval with double tracks and room for two city areas, one focused on brick and stone structures and one based on wood structures.  My plan is to work towards those two townsites with hopes for a larger space down the road. 

Tonight I've spent a large amount of time making a support frame for the elevated platform, assembling lattice girders, and making a frame in which I will be pouring a hydrocal plate which will be carved to make the elevated platform surface.  They have all been left to dry over night.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Random

I started the day by pouring hydrocal into the platform form.

I sanded down the casting to clean up the edges and remove some of the smaller bubble marks.  I used a metal scribing tool to create a pattern of 4 foot square stones on the platform.  I will be doing more carving to add cracks and remove the remaining remnants of bubbles. 

And here is the platform temporarily placed next to the station.  It will need to be raised a bit more.

That's it for now.

Cheers!

Roger Hines

Random

After looking at the source pictures and my platform I finally decided the spacing was too small so I used sandpaper and a metal straightedge to scrape the entire platform smooth.  Good thing I made the casting thick.

I then carved a new pattern using a 3/4 inch spacing.  I think this looks much better.

Here it is placed next to the station.

I also carved the platforms up under the train shed.  Here's a wide shot of the scene coming together.  More detail carving, painting, and detailing to come.  Not to mention some structures to go on the platform.

That's it for tonight.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

S&S RR

Roger

I just wanted to say once again that this is some great modeling and I'm really enjoying your build thread.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

MASIGMON

Roger, Outstanding!!! Thank you for allowing us to following along with your build

Mike

PRR Modeler

Truly top notch modeling.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Random

Thanks.

I'm reaching a point where I have to work out a lot of parts to move forward because they will be covered or hard to get to after the platform and tracks are in place.  Retaining walls, streets, building lighting, windows, etc.  First rule of any large project, the last 20% is 80% of the work.   ;)

I did a bit of carving last night.  The cracks don't show up to well in the photo.  I essentially played connect the dot with the bubbles.  The pencil marks roughly lay out where structures will be placed.

Cheers.

Roger Hines