Stone Buildings

Started by Random, April 21, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Roger your doing some great modeling here.

Yes the bigger spacing works very well.

Keep up the great work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Roger:

Very nicely done so far. It is going to look great when finished.

Karl

Random

Thanks.

I haven't had a lot of modeling time of the last couple of weeks but what I did have was spent on planning and researching parts.  I am still hunting for supports for the Y shed roof on the passenger platform.   I've not been able to match what George used but I've found something close.  I'm also considering a different style of support that I have on hand.  I also realized that I've hit a point where things need to start being permanently installed so I took quite a bit of time to work on the module.  As nothing ever seems to transfer from paper to the real world I decided to mock up the models in my layout space.  It's a bit of a constrained space so I don't have much room for error.  The modules have to be less then 28" wide to fit though a door and no more than 5' long to get around  corner and be easily handled on a staircase. 

Its a good thing I did this as the straight section in the middle of the S-curve to the right was only 5 inches long.  A bit of adjustment later and it is now about 13" long, just enough to protect passenger operations.  The station module is at the front and will have a second module behind it to add more depth to the scene.  I hope it put together today or tomorrow and then get back to the modeling.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

I've been doing a lot of work on things around the station building but not that much on the station.  I've decided that I'm going to start a new thread to track the build of the area around the station and keep this thread for the station proper.  That being said, I have done a little work on the station building.  It doesn't look like much, but it took a lot of time and filing to fit all the windows and doors.

I still need to add glazing.  I'm planning to put some dividers into the arches over the doors after I put the glazing in place. I don't have a casting for that bit so it will be build in place.

That's it for the station for now.

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Lynnb

I really like the look of the walls, those windows fit perfect and really pop.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

adm.nelson

Roger, what can I saw, just read your thread. Fantastic. You've taken modeling to a new level. I have used Sculpy on many models, and usually I just use the Sculpy as the brick material. I built my version of Sewall's Foundry using Sculpy. But this is a larger building by far. You have really done a very good job.

Tony

Random

Thanks everyone.

Over several evenings I "glazed" the station windows with canopy glue.  I like the "wavy" glass effect this gives.   For the arched windows over the doors I glued clear styrene in place and then after that was dry added a layer of canopy glue over the styrene to give it a similar look.   These windows really need mullions to divide them but they are tucked so far up under the bridge you won't be able to see them anyway.  Maybe I'll paint some on.

Cheers

Roger Hines

postalkarl

Hey:

Looks real nice to me.

karl

Random

Back to working on the roof.  The roofing received a coat of gray acrylic paint and then a few rounds of ink wash.   I've also added vents and chimneys. 

I made some patches for the roofing with the same paper.  I painted them with a slightly darker gray to make them look newer.  They also have some nail detail around the edges.

While the patches dried I added a pair of roof "ladders" using some 2x4 strip wood.

I made a couple of roof access hatches from some strip wood and small squares of thin sheet would for a base.

I went back and gave the patches a wash of lighter gray to blend them better with the rest of the roof.  I still want them a little darker but it was too stark.   I may do a bit more blending after they have fully dried.

I built platforms for fire barrels at the stop of the "ladder" on each end of the station.  The pitch sealant around the base of the vents and chimneys is made with some artist oil lamp black applied with a syringe. 

I'm sure there will be a little more weathering for the roof but next up will be the interior station platforms.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Janbouli

Looking fantastic Roger , loving all the details of the roof, what a great addition to your layout this will be.
I love photo's, don't we all.

vinceg

A grand structure indeed! The stonework looks great, but I also like the board-on-board effect at the portals. Nicely weathered/aged.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

GPdemayo

Looking good Roger..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Random

I'm getting a bit of overlap now with the diorama thread.  I'm not sure where to cut off this build and move things to the other.  I still need to finish the platforms inside the station on the upper deck but beyond detailing things start to become ancillary structures.  In any event, I threw all of my past painting methods to the wind, allowed in the spirit of Troels Kirk, and set out to paint the upper platforms, the outside concrete platform and the bridge structures.  This was all done with artist acrylics and a 1/2 inch round artist brush.  The rust will be toned down a bit in the second coat but I like the start.

I need to clear off some more workspace to get a coat of paint on the bridge support legs. 

Cheers.

Roger Hines