Started by Random, April 21, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Random

I didn't realize it has been so long since I updated this thread.   I've not had much time recently to model but there has been some progress.

First, the molds for the cornices did not work out well.  Too many small spaces that trapped bubbles.  I'm still fiddling with that a bit to see what I can manage but in the mean time I decided to just build out full cornices in wood.  Hear is the first one.  There is still a bit of sanding and filling needed and I suspect a drain pipe or two might be in order to cover a flaw here and there but I think it looks good.  It will be painted the same dark red as the windows.

As built it lifts off the inner frame of the structure.  This will make painting much easier and may allow me to make the full roof removable to access track work.  Probably a good idea that. 

That's it for now.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

bparrish

Roger...

This is a great building. 

Regarding the cornice work..    They were brick and stone mason's art.  Not all were stone however.

There were companies that made such stuff from pressed metal and they were fastened to the top of the stone work with various types of anchors.

If you end up not making the cornices out of plaster and stay with the wood mold forms, this will still be a great building.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Random

While most cornice work would be stone you could argue that for this building wood or metal makes sense as its part of a wooden shed roof.  At least that seems to be what George's model implies.  I still want to get the castings to work as I have other buildings planned for these parts.

I did manage to get the other cornice built before I lost a week to training for the new job that starts next week.   Modeling time will be scarce for a while.  The second go came out cleaner than the first, so of course it moved to the front of the building.

I'm going to try to get the shed framed and built over the next couple of days.   We shall see.

Cheers
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

deemery

Actually, a lot of cornice work was stamped tin/galvanized metal, or cast terra cotta (or even concrete).  Carved stone would be Very Expensive, vs these more mass-produced methods.

I love how this is coming out.  Consider using shellac to thoroughly seal the wood surfaces before you start painting, you don't want wood grain to show up here.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Random

I put together some simple roof trusses for the station's train shed roof.

Five trusses seemed logical with one at each end and one falling between each window.  I assembled the roof structure using spacers, an improvised jig and weights.

Here is the roof frame set in place.  I'll glue it to the cornices after they are painted.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

bparrish

This is soooooo cool !!!!!

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

nextceo

Really like all the stone work. It was quite interesting to see the step by step process you used to create the walls.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

EricQuebec

Very beautiful work.
Fine art modelling
Can't wait to see the building complete.
Eric Québec city

ReadingBob

All those that posted before have pretty much summed it up - wonderful!   :D   :D   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Random

So, I started a new job that has eaten my life.  I literally have not been in my shop for over a month, until last night.

Given an unexpected few hours to myself, I decided it was time for siding on the ends of the train shed roof.  I had previously painted these boards with the same spray paint as the wall cornices.  Here is the west end.  The vent, which is built from tiny strip wood, still needs paint and everything needs more weathering. 

And here is the east end.  The siding looks in worse shape here.

There is definitely some siding that could use replacement, but given the economy the railroad seems uninterested.  It is just a train shed after all.  Its not going to leak into the waiting room.

Those boards don't look naturally rotted away.  Its almost like something has been gnawing at them. 

Maybe a look though the vent will shed some light.  Wait....thats not a rat!

What in the world?  It looks like someone has built a room in the rafters of the train shed from scrap wood!

Street urchins!   They've built a room hidden in the rafters of the train shed and added planking to get to it. 

As as anyone knows a good secret room needs a back door.  It looks like the built crawl out hatch too.

So, I got a wild hair to add a hidden mini-scene in the raters of the shed.  The east end will be easier to see into so I  placed it there.  I plan to add a small LED to simulate a lantern and an assortment of collected belongings.  I also plan to locate figures behind the openings in the siding looking out.  Clearly they opened up those holes in order to see out and to let some light into their access route.  The hidden room will get its own "roof" made from old blankets to help keep the soot from locomotive exhaust out. 

There is no telling when I'll get another weekend like this so until then...

Cheers!
Roger Hines

S&S RR

Roger

It's great to see you back on this project, if only for a short period of time. Working for  a living sure gets in the way of some great modeling. I will be looking for your next update.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Random

Thanks John.  It sure does.

I managed to find a little more time today, probably the last for at least a month.  I cut a sub-roof from thin card and decided to open up the ends a bit more aggressively.  I like how it allows you to see the heavy framing of the roof.

That's it for now.

Cheers
Roger Hines

Pennman

Roger,

Your stone making is a very tedious project for sure! It looks fabulous.
I will be following along with your progress.

Rich