Stone Buildings

Started by Random, April 21, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailroadKits

postalkarl

Hi Roger:

What can I say but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic work.

Karl

MAP

Mark

MASIGMON

Roger,
You are the STONE WALL MAN
Outstanding workmanship

Mike Sigmon

bparrish

Roger...

What are the little blue things......... I know they are weights but what are they ? ? ? ?

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Roger

I saw a post on this thread and got all excited that you had and update for us.  I hope you are finding some time for modeling and that all is well.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Truly top notch modeling.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

vinceg

Roger,

Looks incredible. I thought they were FSM wall castings when I saw the first picture.

Question for you - given all the careful work and effort you put into the molding and casting process, do you believe that it resulted in less effort than if you had just built the whole thing from individual stones? Or maybe the same question a different way -- if you were to start again from scratch, would you do it the same way?

Cheers,
Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Random

And we're back.    Thank you for all the nice comments while I've been away. 

Just a quick update today.  I applied rolled roofing to the train shed and wanted to move forward but I was stuck as to how to access the "urchin's nest" up in the rafters.  Then it struck me; cut open the roof for the clearstory and make it removable.  With the plan settled I moved ahead with glueing the roof panels in place.   They still need painting and weathering.

More to come soon.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

S&S RR

Great to see you back Roger.
John Siekirk

Roostr

Great build, like the way you have done the stone work.
Like the urchin hidey hole.
Thanks for sharing you build post.
Daryl

Random

I made it into the work room last night and spent the time designing and building the core for the clearstory.  Its made from black and natural chipboard.  I will cover the ends with individual boards and build up the vent grids from strip wood.  The roof will get the same rolled roofing as the main roof.  The clearstory will be removable so that I can access the urchin hideout.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

A bit more progress.  The clearstory is finished.  I still need to paint, weather, and detail the roof. 

Cheers!

Roger Hines

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk