The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 2

Started by ACL1504, May 11, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 09, 2018, 10:57:07 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on August 08, 2018, 08:31:57 AM
Hey Tom.....you ever notice that Frank has a habit of doing things on a grand scale..... ;D ;D ;D

Greg,

Frank and I have a motto - "Come big or stay at home." 8)

Tom ;D

Y'all are definitely getting there..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Prior to getting into something big today, I have a few thoughts to share. I guess it was bound to happen, in fact, guaranteed to happen eventually.

I'm at the point now where I realize I'll never be able to build or use all the kits I have in the A&S stash, 200+. Even if I have Reading Bob build on a full time basis, they won't all get used or built.

I have 16 FSM unbuilt kits left and all but maybe four are New England style structures. I got rid of my 14 SRMW kits many years for the same reason.

I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm running out of real estate in the middle section. Two of the FSM built kits will take up even more room.

So, today will be spent looking at what I have and what will fit. Not just on the second level but the third level as well.

Not sure I'll be successful in doing this but I'm at the point of where a decision to "keep/build or get rid of" stage is fast approaching.

I did the same thing with my brass loco, 60+. Now down to 25+ and need to thin them as well. Just not enough time to build, paint and plant everything. Even with every day being Saturday, there seems to be an endless task of projects that never seem to end.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 09, 2018, 11:16:17 AM
Hey Tom.....you ever notice that Frank has a habit of doing things on a grand scale..... ;D ;D ;D

Greg,

Tom ;D

I'm already at home so I need to go big, right?
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 09, 2018, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on August 09, 2018, 11:16:17 AM

Greg,

Tom ;D

Indubitably..... ;D ;D ;D

BTW.....there be coopons here.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 09, 2018, 11:19:16 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 09, 2018, 11:18:13 AM

Greg,

Tom ;D

Indubitably..... ;D ;D ;D

BTW.....there be coopons here.  :)

Okee Dokee, coopins is good. ;D ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 09, 2018, 11:17:18 AMI'm at the point now where I realize I'll never be able to build or use all the kits I have in the A&S stash, 200+. Even if I have Reading Bob build on a full time basis, they won't all get used or built.

Ready and willing.  Unfortunately this darn working for a living keeps interfering with things so the able part is questionable.   :(

Honored to have my Sokol's build featured across the river to Franks wonderful build.  I'm looking forward to see it lit up.   8)  You may not need the room lights on when that one's lit up.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jim Donovan

Tom;

Not sure if I have learned enough to build a FSM kit yet but if you decided to sell a smaller one you think would look good on the Ohio layout I would give it a go. Still, at the rate you build I suspect you'll get to a lot more then you think. If your still walking 4-6 miles a day what's a few dozen more kits? :D
By the way, your walking got me back to it, neuropathy and all, suppose to make it better. We will see.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on August 09, 2018, 02:15:15 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 09, 2018, 11:17:18 AMI'm at the point now where I realize I'll never be able to build or use all the kits I have in the A&S stash, 200+. Even if I have Reading Bob build on a full time basis, they won't all get used or built.

Ready and willing.  Unfortunately this darn working for a living keeps interfering with things so the able part is questionable.   :(

Honored to have my Sokol's build featured across the river to Franks wonderful build.  I'm looking forward to see it lit up.   8)  You may not need the room lights on when that one's lit up.   ;D

Bob,

I know you are very willing and I certainly very much appreciate all you've built to date.

My problem like many is just the fact I have to many kits. I just got three more from Monster Modelworks and FOS' latest big kit on the way.

Solkol's looks perfectly suited for the area just north of Caldwell Junction. Can't wait to have the utilities company turn on the power.

Thank you for all your help.  We'll get a new one in your "ready to build line" next time you are over.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jim Donovan on August 10, 2018, 12:32:46 AM
Tom;

Not sure if I have learned enough to build a FSM kit yet but if you decided to sell a smaller one you think would look good on the Ohio layout I would give it a go. Still, at the rate you build I suspect you'll get to a lot more then you think. If your still walking 4-6 miles a day what's a few dozen more kits? :D
By the way, your walking got me back to it, neuropathy and all, suppose to make it better. We will see.

Jim,

FSM kits are not as difficult to build as most think. The instructions George puts in the kits are top notch and easy to follow.

It's not that I don't want to sell you one but all the ones I have are large kits and mostly with a real estate foot print of 14 X 22 inches or larger. So see if you can fit something in the space.

I did four miles this morning but am taking tomorrow off. Walked six days straight and my feet need a rest. I have neuropathy :'( as well. After walking for the past several years I don't see any improvement. Or maybe, the walking is keeping it in check, I have no idea.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I spent several hours yesterday planning the center isle area for the Town of Tahope. I used cork roadbed and track to lay out several different plans.

I did come up with one that I'm very happy with and this is where I'll start the thread. It may make no sense at first, but there is a method to my madness and it gives me many different switching moves to play with.

You'll see the plan come together as I build this area.

Erieman Frank made a suggestion to have a pallet maker next to the citrus building. So, I marked off a space and as shown below. I plan to scratch build this structure.

More on this structure later, as in months from now.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

One of the changes is to install a right hand turnout just above the right hand turnout in the bottom of the photo.

I first unsoldered the track and moved it to the side and out of the way.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I cut a piece of pink foam out so the short section of cork can be glued in place.

After gluing the cork, I pinned the turnout in place using Peco track pins.

I then realigned the track. I cut off all but an inch so the track was longer that the turnout rail.

I then removed a few ties.

The track rail is perfectly aligned with the turnout rail. Track rail is on top of the turnout rail.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I moved the track rail to the side of the turnout rail as shown. I marked where the cut of the track rail should be.

NOTE: I cut the rail about 1/16 inch longer than the turnout so I could file it down for a perfect fit.

I used a Dremel cutoff disc and filed the track rail until I had a perfect fit. In the photo below you can see the track rail and turnout rail aligned to each other.  And, there is no gap between them.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

What appears to be a gap is the black marker on the top of the rail.

I then slid two "N" scale code 80 rail joiners onto the code 83 flex track as shown below.

The track was again aligned and the rail joiners were pushed onto the turnout rail.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com