The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 2

Started by ACL1504, May 11, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: EricQuebec on August 23, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 23, 2018, 06:10:35 PM
Tomorrow I'll share what I plan to do with an FSM kit.
Thank you... now I will be unable to sleep that night... cna't wait tomorrow to see what you plan to do  :)
Eric

Eric,

Well, I need to keep you interested in following along.  ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Rollin on August 23, 2018, 08:01:13 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 23, 2018, 06:09:14 PM
Also,

The last two photos put me over the 3900 picture mark for the thread. That's a lot of photos over the past four years. An average of 975 per year, 81 per month and 2.7 per day.

WHEW! I'm tired just typing that information.

What is really impressive is the amount of work you've accomplished in just the last year... I was lucky enough to have a tour of your layout last summer. Since then you have added the upper deck structure and the new peninsula down the middle. For comparison, just look at a picture from then

Rollin,

I appreciate you following along and thanks for the compliment.

Hard to believe the 2017 NMRA open house was just over a year ago. I've been very busy since then as you can see.

I tried to enlarge your photo but lost some of the detail in doing so.

Here are two photos that span 12.5 months.

August 3, 2017 -

August 24, 2018 -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on August 23, 2018, 08:14:21 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 23, 2018, 06:09:14 PM
Also,

The last two photos put me over the 3900 picture mark for the thread. That's a lot of photos over the past four years. An average of 975 per year, 81 per month and 2.7 per day.

WHEW! I'm tired just typing that information.

Tom

Congratulation on the land mark - that's a lot of work and time away from your layout to share it with us.  Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful layout with us.

John,

Hey, thank you my friend. You know how much time and effort is involved in posting and sharing our layouts.

I think you'll agree, it's a labor of love to add the extra time to share with others.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Five or six years ago Reading Bob and I swapped an unbuilt FSM kit for one on a diorama. I gave him my kit in a box and he gave me his built one on a diorama.

The kit is Jefferies Point Stave and Heading Co.

Here is where his version will be located.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Continued in a few. I'm going to need a Diet Pepsi while telling you what the plans are for this structure.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When Bob built this beautiful kit, we weren't using any LEDs to light the interior or the exteriors. This is a #1 priority for me with this building - light it up baby.

A major issue is that over time the plywood has warped a little. Installing it and screwing it down to a level position didn't seem like a good idea nor practical to me. My layout decking is 3 ply 3/8" thick. The diorama base is 4 ply 3/8" with 1/2" Homosote glued to it.

This means the diorama would have to be installed level with mine. To do this would require mounting brackets screwed to the underside of the layout and adjusted to fit.  Not going to happen.

I plan to remove the structure from the diorama. I've done this to two other FSM kits on dioramas. Although it will be a bit tricksie, it isn't impossible.

I've taken extensive photos of the details around the building.

Within the coming week, I'll remove the building from the base.

More on this later next week.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

EricQuebec

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 24, 2018, 04:11:58 PM
When Bob built this beautiful kit, we weren't using any LEDs to light the interior or the exteriors. This is a #1 priority for me with this building - light it up baby.

A major issue is that over time the plywood has warped a little. Installing it and screwing it down to a level position didn't seem like a good idea nor practical to me. My layout decking is 3 ply 3/8" thick. The diorama base is 4 ply 3/8" with 1/2" Homosote glued to it.

This means the diorama would have to be installed level with mine. To do this would require mounting brackets screwed to the underside of the layout and adjusted to fit.  Not going to happen.

I plan to remove the structure from the diorama. I've done this to two other FSM kits on dioramas. Although it will be a bit tricksie, it isn't impossible.
I will follow your effort for sure
Eric

I've taken extensive photos of the details around the building.

Within the coming week, I'll remove the building from the base.

More on this later next week.

ACL1504

I'm several posts behind in the thread update but here is a little more info on the layout build.

I did finish all the track wiring on the center isle which I refer to as the Town of Tahope.

This past Saturday, the Judge was over and we tested all the turnouts and siding for power to see if I forgot anything. I'm happy to report we had no derailments and all trains ran smoothly and efficiently including the reverse loop section.

Greg and Reading Bob were here as witnesses to the smooth running.

I used DCC Specialties PSX-AR for the reverse loop. I wired it in series with the other two auto reversers I'm using on the second level.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm also in the process of painting the track (rail and ties) and am up the the roundhouse and turntable cutoff. I'll stop here as I'm waiting on a new DCC turntable from Walthers.

I'll start ballasting the track at the south end of the St. John's River area and work north while waiting on Walthers.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: EricQuebec on August 24, 2018, 04:21:03 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on August 24, 2018, 04:11:58 PM

I will follow your effort for sure.

Eric

Eric,

Glad to have you along on the journey. I'll be starting the structure removal tomorrow afternoon. 8)

See you then.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

I can be persuaded to testify.....for a small renumeration.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Bob did A great job on this kit and it will look right a home on your layout.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on August 27, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
I can be persuaded to testify.....for a small renumeration.  ;D

Greg,

No need, your comment alone says it all went well. If not, you'd say so. 8) 8)

Thanks butty!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on August 28, 2018, 02:20:33 PM
Hey Tom:

Bob did A great job on this kit and it will look right a home on your layout.

Karl

Karl,

Yes, he did as usual. It fits perfectly in the purchased real estate.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com